Kenya sends a 13-member delegation to make a 5 min speech

I have to second Namtih58 on the issue of checks and balances. An example that anecdotes misguided priorities is our - by "our" I include the west's effort at modernizing Africa as well as our home grown political structures - preocupation with elections. Too much emphasis is put on electrocracy while elections are meaningless if there is no checks and balances, voter education, grassroot involvement and a corruption free environment.

I will love that speech it remind me of julius ceaser speech of three words we went we fought we won.

Well said, Namtih58 & Bluray. Let's go to the root of the matter. Checks and ballances - almost zero in our countries; elections don't mean anything because the majority of the voters ( i am NOT being patronizing ) are not conversant enough with the ways of the democratic world to choose wisely. Hence our political class - read mp's, rc's, dc's, ministers, is full of sycophants, yes-men, dumb guys who would never succeed in any other system where real competence is required.
On the other hand, may be we Bantus are too lazy, conservative - unwilling to change the status quo -because we see all the injustice, embezzlement, etc done by OUR elected leaders, and we don't do much about it. The people who are awake MUST rise up and wake up a fellow brother, sister so that we can ALL move forward to a better world.

Another point.

While the merit of the criticism lashed in the original post may very well prove unimpeachable, the presentation in the context of disqualifying the delegation as sheer ingenuity by focusing on the number of minutes in a speech is most unfortunate and shows lack of resourcefulness in the front against corruption, nepotism and all types of irresponsibility.

In defence of the bureaucrats one can simply retort that the speech was a mere PR formality and did not require a lenghty discourse, and that real business was done behind closed door.

Let it be clear that by no means am I advocating this brand of graft largesse, I am merely dissapointed by some of the reasoning presented in the criticism. If we want accountability and responsibility we have to know how to ask for it in an air tight manner, some of these bureaucrats are actually very well trained lawyers and experienced bullshiters who can hold their own quite admirably, if at all there is anything admirable in thievery, so we must come correct in our criticism.

I personally have no problem whatsoever with the number of people constituting a delegaion, as long as each and every single one of them has a purpose and a role to play. Rather my bone of contention is and will always be the abusive usage of public funds and office.

The only reason there is more than one person on this delegation is because of the infighting among the Grand coalition members, not because having more than one person serves any purpose, I dare say most of them will probably waste this trip lollygagging in the shopping malls. Using the money the citizenry toils day and night to pay them.

We would have served better by composing a written reply and mailing it. It would have provided some revenue to the post office and given a local something to do.

This same mentality is observed whenever our/foreign presidents are returning from a trip abroad. All the ministers are "arraigned" at the airport. Now tell me what happens to the investor who needed a document signed that day? nothing is accomplished on said day because apparently Wakubwa wameenda kumlaki rais. Kwani makamu wake hatoshi? Is it necessary to bring to a halt all government business simply because a head of state is visiting/coming back?

Ukienda ng'ambo utakuta ma Rais wetu wanakaribishwa na watu wachache tu. Lakini viongozi wetu hawajiulizi ni kwa nini! Sijui tuwarudishe shule ama vipi, sababu nakosa kuwaelewa.

Who are the typical fisadis? Africans ama Kenyans?

If it is Kenyans, yes we are corrupt.. Have you noted one thing about the Kenyan public, as much as the goverment is corrupt, we use our media to try and expose the cases. This trip is unnecessary due to the number of people going, that is lack of accountability but not corruption..

Thats where our media and human right activists come in and do their calculations and expose the same using the media. When the public catch wind of such occurances, it forces the goverment to act on the case, whether willingly or unwillingly. Am sure that such trips are not confined within our borders, and joy riders are also in tanzania, the only problem is that there is no one to expose the ill, they just leave and come back without any one noticing or blowing the whistle.

kenyan media and HRAs expose the corruption all the same, but why is it that corruption in kenya keeps consilidatin itself, and bigger and bigger scandals to never cease. And the effects are clearly seen. B'se kenya is very soon going to be a completely failed state. It is going to join Somalia very soon. Some people think the country already a failed state b'se of tribal or ethnic violence and tension. They are wrong. it is corruption. Stupid! (to our blog moderators- this is an expression it is not an insult)

kenyan media and HRAs expose the corruption all the same, but why is it that corruption in kenya keeps consilidatin itself, and bigger and bigger scandals to never cease. And the effects are clearly seen. B'se kenya is very soon going to be a completely failed state. It is going to join Somalia very soon. Some people think the country already a failed state b'se of tribal or ethnic violence and tension. They are wrong. it is corruption. Stupid! (to our blog moderators- this is an expression it is not an insult)

LaVerite,

Tuwatakie mema jirani zetu Wakenya!

Hata Tz tuna corruption: je is Tz a failed state? Rafiki unaweza kweli linganisha Kenya na Somalia?

Let us be fair and objective in our arguments!

LaVerite, I question your intelligence, do you know the meaning of a failed state? seriously, can you compare Kenya to Congo or any other turbulent country in Africa, let alone Somali? Have you read what you have posted, or you have just punched the post button without even blinking? Just because you dislike us, doesnt mean that we are failing, tafadhali.

bad leadership has been like a disease to us, it has eaten this nation to the core.. a potentially great nation is at the brink of failure just because of a certain crop of power hungry individuals, who want to make money (obscene amounts for that matter), at the expense of the majority poor public, who have toiled to pay taxes to fuel the rich minister fuel guzzling foreign car, furnish his young mistress's apartment in upmarket Nairobi, pay for his unnecessary trips abroad, and pay schoolfees for his sisters bright son in Harvard. That is what we have to go through on a daily basis.. For how long do you think Kenyans will tolerate this, till 2012? I dont think so.

The wait for 2012 will be the biggest test for this great nation, all we need is the right person and the right moment, to get our country back to track sooner than later. We cant let this oldies destroy a great country like Kenya, hell no.

Good. We've heard the revolution rhetoric. Now who is going to bell the cat? And how?

Lets be as realistic and practical as possible here.

This same mentality is observed whenever our/foreign presidents are returning from a trip abroad. All the ministers are "arraigned" at the airport. Now tell me what happens to the investor who needed a document signed that day? nothing is accomplished on said day because apparently Wakubwa wameenda kumlaki rais. Kwani makamu wake hatoshi? Is it necessary to bring to a halt all government business simply because a head of state is visiting/coming back?

Ukienda ng'ambo utakuta ma Rais wetu wanakaribishwa na watu wachache tu. Lakini viongozi wetu hawajiulizi ni kwa nini! Sijui tuwarudishe shule ama vipi, sababu nakosa kuwaelewa.

Nowonder other races think that deep down every African is a bushman/woman, even if donning a business suit and fluently speaking the Queen's language.

Back
Top Bottom