Kenya men die younger than Tanzania men

Geza Ulole

JF-Expert Member
Oct 31, 2009
Life expectancy goes up

Dar as Salaam: Tanzania has the highest life expectancy among the five East African Community (EAC) partner states, closely followed by Kenya, a new report says.The 2010 State of the World Population (SWP), which was launched in Dar es Salaam yesterday, says that while a Tanzanian woman is assured of living an average of 57 years and seven months, a man can live up to 56 years and one month.

The life expectancy increased by six months over last year. Then, the SWP report also ranked Tanzania first with a life expectancy of 57 years and one month for women, and 55 years and five months for men.

This year, Kenya came second country in the region, with its women’s average life expectancy standing at 56 years, and the men expected to live up to 55 years in the strongest economy in the EAC.

Kenya registered an increase in life expectancy by seven months for women and five for men, while Uganda improved its situation by seven and six months for women and men, respectively.

Women in Uganda, which is ranked third in the region, can live until they reach 54 years and eight months, which is one year and four months longer than their men.

Burundi came fourth with a life expectancy of 52 years and nine months for women, and 49 years and eight months for men.

Rwanda brought the rear, with women being assured of a life expectancy similar to that of their Burundi counterparts. Burundian men can also live six months longer than the Rwandese.

Life expectancy in Burundi increased by five and four months for women and men, respectively, while Rwanda saw its life expectancy increase by four months for both women and men.

Japan has the highest average life expectancy in the world, enabling women to live up to 86 years and six months, seven months more than their men.

Afghanistan has the lowest average life expectancy, with women living one month less than men, who can live up to 44 years and seven months.

Yesterday, officiating at the launch of the report in Dar es Salaam on behalf of the minister for Home Affairs, Mr Lawrence Masha, the permanent secretary, Ms Elezabeth Nyambiho, said it accurately reflected the reality of several decades of conflicts in Africa.

“Tanzania has until recently hosted Africa’s most protracted refugee caseload that lasted for four decades. However, in an unprecedented move, the country offered a lasting solution to the 1972 Burundi refugees by naturalising some 162, 000,” she said.

The SWP report titled, ‘From Conflict and Crisis to Renewal: Generations of Change’ noted progress and challenges in implementing various aspects of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) and changes in national, regional and global demographics.

The 2010 report, for the first time, included an analysis of selected indicators on reproductive health, which was in 2007 adopted as the fifth UN Millennium Development Goal.

“When women and girls have the power to decide for themselves when and if they will become pregnant, they are more likely to have healthy pregnancies and seek antenatal care. Their children are more likely to survive infancy and early childhood,” reads the report in part.

The ICPD selected indicators track progress towards the MDGs that deal with education and health, and which, according to the report, illustrate aspects of care for reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health.

The health indicators include maternal and infant mortality, contraceptive prevalence, HIV/Aids and adolescent birth rates. Also included are indicators on the availability of skilled care during births.

Despite having the highest life expectancy in the region, Tanzania’s achievements are marred by a high HIV/Aids infection rate among people aged between 15 and 49 years, which stands at 6.2 per cent followed by Uganda’s 5.4 per cent.

Although HIV/Aids infection rate statistics were not given in the report for Burundi and Kenya, Rwanda appears to have the lowest score of only 2.8 per cent.

Tanzania and Kenya are on a par on the infant mortality rate. They report 60 deaths out of every 1,000 live births, compared with 95, 96 and 70 deaths in Burundi, Rwanda and Uganda, respectively.

Tanzania was ranked second after Rwanda in illiteracy, with 57.7 per cent of girls and 56.1 per cent of boys aged below 15 years unable to read and write. The report estimates that 33.9 per cent of girls and 25.2 per cent of boys of that age in Rwanda are illiterate.

Uganda is ranked third in illiteracy with 33.2 of the girls and 17.6 of boys of that age, who can neither read nor write. While Kenya has 17.2 per cent of girls and 9.7 of illiterate boys. Burundi boasts only 2.1 per cent of the girls below 15 years and 1.4 of the boys of the same age, who cannot read and write.

About 40 women in Burundi use modern contraceptive methods compared with only 18 in Uganda, 20 in Tanzania, 26 in Kenya and 39 in Rwanda.

Life expectancy goes up

MY TAKE:
ain't looking for a fight over here but just representin' the facts so plz...abstain from abusive languages and arguments :glasses-nerdy: . Peace and love; just waiting for CCM to steal election as adviced by GOK's dischargee Kalonzo Musyoka! lucky Musyoka is above 56 years....

Sijui niite ni kitu gani hasa kila uchwao kujilinganisha na Kenya , Uganda etc. Kwa nini tusijilinganisha na nchi zilizoendelea? Mtaendelea kuwa masikini wa mawazo, maisha na kudumaa kwa kulinganisha unasikini uliokubuhu kwenye region badala ya kutafuta suluhisho la umasikini wakati watu wapo na vitega uchumi vilivyosambaratika kila kona. Wacheni lamulamu na kazaneni kuondoa boriti kwenye macho.

Wenzetu wana life expectancy ya hadi miaka 86. Sisi na miaka yetu 57 hatuna sababu ya kujivuna eti kwa vile tumeizidi Kenya.

Sijui niite ni kitu gani hasa kila uchwao kujilinganisha na Kenya , Uganda etc. Kwa nini tusijilinganisha na nchi zilizoendelea? Mtaendelea kuwa masikini wa mawazo, maisha na kudumaa kwa kulinganisha unasikini uliokubuhu kwenye region badala ya kutafuta suluhisho la umasikini wakati watu wapo na vitega uchumi vilivyosambaratika kila kona. Wacheni lamulamu na kazaneni kuondoa boriti kwenye macho.

Mimi kila siku nawaambia wanajamiiF kuwa tukitaka tuwe nyuma kimaendeleo siku zote, basi tuwe tukijilinganisha na nchi yoyote katika ukanda huu. Most of the countries are ailing states. Ukiondoa Tz, inchi zote za ukanda huu hazija tulia. mbali na umaskini (tatizo la kiuchumi) ambao nchi zote za ukanda huu zinakabili; matatizo ya kisiasa, kijamii, kiutamaduni ni makubwa sana kwa nchi zinazotuzunguka. Hivyo kitendo cha kujilinganisha ni sawa na kushindana kukimbia na mgonjwa. Kwa kifupi hatupaswi kujilinganisha na nchi yoyote ile katika jumuiya hii ya afrika mashariki.

Ni hatua nzuri, hatujafikia nchi zilizoendelea lakini inaonesha juhudi fulani inafanyika. Nadhani hii (kuongezeka kwa umri wa kuishi) kumechangiwa, pamoja na mambo mengine, na kupungua kwa maambukizi ya ukimwi (kwa mujibu wa takwimu).

Sina imani na takwimu za ukanda huu, hata kama zinasifia TZ. We are surrounded by stupid neigbors led Kenya.

Mimi lifestyle yangu binafsi haitoniruhusu kufika umri mkubwa saaana, ukiangalia navuta sigara sana, kama pakiti moja kila siku (depending on my stress levels) , nanywa pombe kila siku isipokuwa mwezi wa Ramzan, wasichana ndio hata usiulize, vitu ambazo nakuwa exposed nazo katika pilkapilka zangu za kila siku haziaminiki... But i digress.............what am trying to say is that the lifestyle that you expose your body to determines the quality of your life and this automatically converts to your life expectancy. Congrats to the average Tanzanian who will live a few months longer than an ordinary Kenyan.
Ijumaa Kareem.

Sina imani na takwimu za ukanda huu, hata kama zinasifia TZ. We are surrounded by stupid neigbors led Kenya.

We are a thorn in your flesh. Other people in the forum are saying that you should not compare your self to the other countries in the region, and wham that is exactly what you do!!! You always want to talk about KE. What is? If KE as a neighbour is stupid what does that make you? Stupid too. You can't seem to desist from mentioning KE in your posts. Grow up!

The topic itself is about the republic of kunya, oops! I mean, by which of defn of a thorn? Refugees? U r at our mercy! We are the mountain, and Mohammed will always go to the mountain, since we can't move, remember that saying.? We are the Kilimanjaro, the mighty one. Got that! Woman you, you shouldn't be arguing with men, given you valkey, the river between. The blank cheque, of which anyone can append a signature!

The topic itself is about the republic of kunya,The Topic is about life expectancy in Kenyan Men!! and you can use any deragatory word you like from your limited vocabulary, You always resort to abuse because you can't substantiate your weak arguments, you always want to talk about KE...you got beef and it shows, oops! I mean, by which of defn of a thorn? Refugees? No, No Expat, U r at our mercy! We are the mountain, and Mohammed will always go to the mountain, since we can't move, remember that saying.? It is not applicable at all, yours is wishful thinking. We are the Kilimanjaro, the mighty one. What have you done with your Mountain so far? Do you know where you mountain is? Got that! Woman you, Yeah, you damn skippy! and very proud one too!!! Whatchu gon do? you shouldn't be arguing with men You don't tell me what to do...Hahaha! News flash it's an open forum and i can argue as i see fit, you bigoted misogynist , given you valkey What is this? did you mean valley!!? the river between Nonsense! The blank cheque, of which anyone can append a signature! Utasubiri sana
CAN'T TOUCH THIS
Since you have reosorted to gender, why DONT you argue like a man with facts and not abuse and drivel.

Mimi lifestyle yangu binafsi haitoniruhusu kufika umri mkubwa saaana, ukiangalia navuta sigara sana, kama pakiti moja kila siku (depending on my stress levels) , nanywa pombe kila siku isipokuwa mwezi wa Ramzan, wasichana ndio hata usiulize, vitu ambazo nakuwa exposed nazo katika pilkapilka zangu za kila siku haziaminiki... But i digress.............what am trying to say is that the lifestyle that you expose your body to determines the quality of your life and this automatically converts to your life expectancy. Congrats to the average Tanzanian who will live a few months longer than an ordinary Kenyan.
Ijumaa Kareem.

Smatta,

Why don't you change your lifestyle? It is really sad to see that you have succumbed to smoking, drinking and other meaningless stuffs that you have mentioned. Frankly speaking, you will be a victim of your own demise, soon or later, if you are not going to seek for professional help. On the other hand, don't be selfsih like our neighbors to the North(just kiddin), think about the consequence of what you are doing and the impact it will have on yourself and your loved ones. Anyway, you still have a chance....

The topic itself is about the republic of kunya, oops! I mean, by which of defn of a thorn? Refugees? U r at our mercy! We are the mountain, and Mohammed will always go to the mountain, since we can't move, remember that saying.? We are the Kilimanjaro, the mighty one. Got that! Woman you, you shouldn't be arguing with men, given you valkey, the river between. The blank cheque, of which anyone can append a signature!

T real men dont talk to ladies like that, you and your kind are a disgrace to our gender. its sickening to see a male chuvenist in 2010, talk trash to me all you want but never resort to talking bad about ladies, it simply shows how immature you are.

...abstain from abusive languages and arguments :glasses-nerdy: .

My apologies, i was just having fun. I enjoy dissing them Nyanga'us irrepective of their gender.

I guess it would be nice if we respect each other, yaani wakoloni kwa kugawa boundaries wametufanya tuchukiane this much? They must be laughing hell out of us.

Nadhani ni hakika hutakiwa kupima ubora wa afya yako kwa kulinganisha na ya mgojwa! Kwa hili nadhani tunaenda mbali zaidi na kujilinganisha si tu na mgojwa bali na mahututi!

Hata haya matusi ya kutunishiana ma voca magumu na ya kejeli yatapunguza life expectancy zenu zaidi huku mkidanganywa na takwimu :doh::doh:

Back
Top Bottom