Kenya Kulikoni Jamani..hii ni dhiki tupu!!!!!

We live on boiled water, say residents

Updated 21 hr(s) 41 min(s) ago

By Biketi Kikechi

Along the dusty, rugged Kainuk-Lodwar highway stand hundreds of scantly dressed boys and girls gesturing at passing vehicles.

The youths make high-pitched noises, all shouting, "akoro, akoro, akoro" (Translated as: "Hunger! Hunger! Hunger!").

nh_280109_we_live.jpg

Eloiloi Edung (second right) with his wife Adung Piarai (second left), share a cup of water with relatives at their home in Lokichar, Turkana South District. Thousands of residents are starving as the Goverment has not supplied relief food for the last three month

Their hands point to their mouths as they brave swirling sandstorms from the vast bare landscape.

These children of Turkana region are part of the 1.6 million people the Government says urgently need relief food in the North Rift.

Motorists plying the Kitale-Lodwar highway may not comprehend what "akoro" means but they cannot miss the non-verbal communication.

Others hold upended empty plastic water bottles close to their mouths in a desperate attempt to tell those who care that they are thirsty.

Pangs of hunger

A few motorists stop to offer a bottle of water but not many have any food to give.

The pangs of hunger force the children to walk for many miles from their parents’ manyatta (homes) to the highway.

As you drive further north past Lokichar trading centre, large herds of goats and sheep browse on leafless twigs.

Turkana District was recently split into three administrative units namely Turkana Central, Turkana North and Turkana South.

The famine situation is nearing a catastrophic level in the three districts, with most of the population moving towards the banks of Turkwel and Kerio rivers.

Lomurukai Ward in Turkana Central District is 52km from Lodwar is one of the worst his areas, but residents they are better than their next of kin living further North towards the Kenya-Uganda border.

Councillor Jeremiah Lomorokai spent 33 days away holding talks with communities at the border on how to access pasture for his people.

Looking at the environment, one cannot see a single green leaf in an area that in normal times boasts expansive pasture fields in Turkana Central.

The last rations

Only World Vision gives relief food to residents here.

Here, Government rations last reached the people in November last year.

"Government food is not for the people. We do not know where that food goes because it hardly reaches them," says Lomorokai.

Civic leaders say they could excuse President Kibaki and Prime Minister Raila Odinga.

"It is possible they do not understand or suffering because the Turkana Central DC who should brief them last visited Lorengipi, one of the worst hit areas on December 13, 2006, when the area was attacked by cattle raiders," said Lomorokai.

In Turkana North, hunger-stricken Kibish residents need food relief. About 84 per cent of the 232,000 residents in the district are starving according to data released by the Ministry of Planning.

That translates to 202,000 who need relief food in the vast district. Kibish, with a population of 23,000 people, received 200 bags of maize from the Government in August.

The Standard unsuccessfully tried to reach the DC at his office in Lodwar but he was said to be out.

Further North on the Lodwar-Kalokol highway, The Standard team found women at Katotum manyatta nursing emaciated and sand-drenched Ethuuko Nangoli. The frail woman, who is perhaps in her 60s, can neither sit nor stand because she has no energy due to lack of food.

Death is staring the children, women and elderly men of Turkana in the face because of the acute famine.

Grass in the once extensive grazing fields dried up many months ago, forcing herdsmen to move farther South with their livestock in search of pasture.

Mimi ni mtanzania niliyeishi na kusomea kindergarten Mombasa enzi za Kenyatta. Tulikuwa tunaishi kwa starehe na uhuru mkubwa tu na ndugu zetu wakenya. Sioni sababu za chuki hizi .. sisi ni ndugu moja. Tuombeane

Waambie wasiwe na wasiwasi Obama ata take care kila kitu....

damn, what is it with you guys and Obama? why all the hate parade, ati Obama ata tusaidia, ati we were partying ndo mana tunanjaa saa hizi, kwani its wrong for us to celebrate one of our own, hata kama ni muAmerica ana asili ya hapa nyumbani, and as being Africans we value our people.
Sijakuja kuleta chuki hapa jf, but just to speak my mind, to let you know that it aint right to celebrate your neighbors troubles.. pride comes before a f.ucking fall, and for all the hate you have for us, I think you should divert that energy and do something constructive like build your backward nation. ukiona mwenzako ana nyolewa, zako aitie maji. have a gud y'all Bongo lalaz.

damn, what is it with you guys and Obama? why all the hate parade, ati Obama ata tusaidia, ati we were partying ndo mana tunanjaa saa hizi, kwani its wrong for us to celebrate one of our own, hata kama ni muAmerica ana asili ya hapa nyumbani, and as being Africans we value our people.
Sijakuja kuleta chuki hapa jf, but just to speak my mind, to let you know that it aint right to celebrate your neighbors troubles.. pride comes before a f.ucking fall, and for all the hate you have for us, I think you should divert that energy and do something constructive like build your backward nation. ukiona mwenzako ana nyolewa, zako aitie maji. have a gud y'all Bongo lalaz.

Please show me one thread or even post that is celebrating Kenya's troubles.

You are the one who came into this thread and started attacking people for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

95% of the people on this board like and support Obama (excuse Nyani, his ignorance is well known). The only hate parade that is going on is in your mind. You are not the first Kenyan on this board so stop being so defensive and people will treat you with respect. Your country is not perfect if someone posts a report on hunger in Kenya it is not an attack on Kenyans. If anything if you actually read some of the posts most people were sympathetic to the people and angry with the Kenyan government for allowing this to happen.

Hakika WaKenya ni wazalendo sana, kwani huchukizwa sana nchi yao kusemwa vibaya hata kama jambo lenyewe ni la kweli wako radhi kulitetea, japo wao wenyewe wanalipiagia kelele serikalini.
WaTanzania wenzangu tuongeze uzalendo wetu kutetea taifa letu kwa lolote lile kutoka nje japo wenyewe ndani tunalipinga.
BIGUP KENYANS.

jamaa analeta kiburi hadi kwenye njaaa, kweli huyu mkenya ni kamanda.

What did you expect him to do? run away from you with his tail between his legs?Tell you what that will not happen any time soon reason being Kenyans don't run away from challenges they face them head on.Someone said that life is not a flat smooth and staright road, it has bumps,potholes,bends na kadhalika
What is being experienced right now is a bump,and it will come to pass very soon,the issue has been raised by a very vibrant and independent media which has the guts to point out where mistakes have been committed by whom from the president down to the fellow in the streets.The challenges we face makes us stronger ,resilient and versatile,My friend we have seen worse things and this one is no where near those worse things its sad and unfortunate but this will make us learn and amend our acts.
I am curious is it true that you guys got your first TV station in 1994?
and that the state run TV was opened in 2001 thats 8 years ago.Confrm to me and i am hoping the above statements are just myths.

and that the state run TV was opened in 2001 thats 8 years ago.Confrm to me and i am hoping the above statements are just myths.

What the ****. Somebody posts an article about Famine in Kenya and the Kenyans on here somehow feel insulted. exactly what is the problem? Did Tanzanians make up this article, or you just can't handle Tanzanians knowing there is famine in Kenya.

There is no need to for insults or trying to start fights with these juvenile posts, because trust me, you will lose.

we have 2 be very careful na hii kitu inayoitwa EAST AFRICAN FEDERATION na hiyo speed ambayo wanaitaka
kwa kweli hicho kitu akiwezi kufanya kazi zaidi ya kueneza ugonywa wa matatizo, TANZANIA TUTAENEZA UFISADI EAST AFRICA YOTE, KENYA WAO UKABILA NA TAMAA YA KUJIKWEZA , UGANDA RWANDA NA BURUNDI WAO WATATULETA VITA, SIDHANI KAMA KUTAKUWA NA MAFANIKIO YA KWELI
SASA NCHI KAMA KENYA PAMOJA NA MASETTLER WOTE BADO KWELI WATU WANAKUFA NJAA
AFRICA INAITAJI SECOND LIBERATION, YA KUTUTOA KWANYE HUU UJINGA

What did you expect him to do? run away from you with his tail between his legs?Tell you what that will not happen any time soon reason being Kenyans don't run away from challenges they face them head on.Someone said that life is not a flat smooth and staright road, it has bumps,potholes,bends na kadhalika
What is being experienced right now is a bump,and it will come to pass very soon,the issue has been raised by a very vibrant and independent media which has the guts to point out where mistakes have been committed by whom from the president down to the fellow in the streets.The challenges we face makes us stronger ,resilient and versatile,My friend we have seen worse things and this one is no where near those worse things its sad and unfortunate but this will make us learn and amend our acts.

What the ****. Somebody posts an article about Famine in Kenya and the Kenyans on here somehow feel insulted. exactly what is the problem? Did Tanzanians make up this article, or you just can't handle Tanzanians knowing there is famine in Kenya.

There is no need to for insults or trying to start fights with these juvenile posts, because trust me, you will lose.

Somebody somewhere once exclaimed, ukweli unauma! Nikweli wakenya walipigana na kuuana sana wakati baada ya uchaguzi... Story ile Wakenya hawaipendi hadi leo na wala hawaizungumzii sana especially wakiwa na watu wa mataifa mengine. Sasa kuna njaa... nao ni ukweli. Hivyo tunaposema ukweli lazima wataumia. We are all sympathising with them! lakini tunaposema wasichukulie vitu personal....

Kenyans are proud of their country and are looking down on us that were are backward! Fine! we are! But who is suffering now? Who suffered the most last year January? Wake up our Kenyan brothers and sisters.

Somebody somewhere once exclaimed, ukweli unauma! Nikweli wakenya walipigana na kuuana sana wakati baada ya uchaguzi... Story ile Wakenya hawaipendi hadi leo na wala hawaizungumzii sana especially wakiwa na watu wa mataifa mengine. Sasa kuna njaa... nao ni ukweli. Hivyo tunaposema ukweli lazima wataumia. We are all sympathising with them! lakini tunaposema wasichukulie vitu personal....

Kenyans are proud of their country and are looking down on us that were are backward! Fine! we are! But who is suffering now? Who suffered the most last year January? Wake up our Kenyan brothers and sisters.

My history teacher once told me that all great nations have at one point suffered internal strife, sort of wenyewe kwa wenyewe conflicts.. it usually brings the citizenry of that country much stronger and united than before. Its just like war, it brings patriotism even to the most unpatriotic of citizens.
So we are not ashamed of what happened, we just have to learn from it, and we are still learning.
What shames me is how our neighbours Tz live in deceit, you lie to yourselves so much, ustaarabu wenyu ndio jambo ambalo litawaumiza.. you guys re not aggressive, Gvt matters are only left to those in power unlike Kenya where everybody is informed about his/her political positions.. thats why we always kashif our president and his govt, not necessarily because they are not working, but because we know that they can work harder and perform better.
na tafadhali usikasirike when one says that you got your first TV in 1994.. we all know that as a fact, Tv was illegal in Tz in the late eighties and maybe early nineties.
So punguzeni hamaki na mjaribu kusaidia serikali yenyu, Kikwete aint no saint and i know yall know that.

My history teacher once told me that all great nations have at one point suffered internal strife, sort of wenyewe kwa wenyewe conflicts.. it usually brings the citizenry of that country much stronger and united than before. Its just like war, it brings patriotism even to the most unpatriotic of citizens.
So we are not ashamed of what happened, we just have to learn from it, and we are still learning.
What shames me is how our neighbours Tz live in deceit, you lie to yourselves so much, ustaarabu wenyu ndio jambo ambalo litawaumiza.. you guys re not aggressive, Gvt matters are only left to those in power unlike Kenya where everybody is informed about his/her political positions.. thats why we always kashif our president and his govt, not necessarily because they are not working, but because we know that they can work harder and perform better.
na tafadhali usikasirike when one says that you got your first TV in 1994.. we all know that as a fact, Tv was illegal in Tz in the late eighties and maybe early nineties.
So punguzeni hamaki na mjaribu kusaidia serikali yenyu, Kikwete aint no saint and i know yall know that.

Hakika WaKenya ni wazalendo sana, kwani huchukizwa sana nchi yao kusemwa vibaya hata kama jambo lenyewe ni la kweli wako radhi kulitetea, japo wao wenyewe wanalipiagia kelele serikalini.
WaTanzania wenzangu tuongeze uzalendo wetu kutetea taifa letu kwa lolote lile kutoka nje japo wenyewe ndani tunalipinga.
BIGUP KENYANS.

Wakuu,

matatizo ya hii nchi kidogo yamekiuka upeo wa kueleweka na binadamu
mwenye utu.Yaani serikali ipo na watu wanakufa njaa namna hii?What the
heck is Kibaki and his band of thieves doing to protect the life of the
citizenry?

Tetesi ni kwamba jamaa waliuza mahindi ya akiba ambao yangetumika kulisha
watu.The people involved are known lakini Kibaki kama kawaida yake anacheza
lelemama na uma.Its not amazing that he is lame duck president who stole an
election and had no interest whatsoever to lead this once great country into
greater heights.Kilichobaki kwa kweli wangwana ni nguvu za soda tu!

Nangole: I haven’t eaten in days...

home_280109_01.jpg

A frail Ethuko Nangole is supported as she leans against the cowhide in her Kalotum manyatta (dwelling) in Turkana North at the weekend

By Standard Team

The frail woman can neither sit nor stand, apparently drained of all energy due hunger.

Ms Ethuuko Nangole, whom our team met on the Lodwar-Kalokol highway, with all the energy she can muster repeatedly whispers: "I haven’t eaten for the past three days". Emaciated and sand-bathed, she is supported by some two women near the Katotum manyatta in Turkana North Constituency.

Breathing faintly, she adds, "I took some porridge three days ago," revealing the sheer magnitude of her situation to the world.

Hers is only one of the many shocking pictures of hunger-stricken Kenyans in various regions that speak volumes of the current food crisis.

A Standard survey of various regions recorded first-hand accounts of the scary face of the famine.

Later our team meets another woman, Ms Annah Nachok, a mother of 10 who is struggling to keep her family alive in Turkana South.

"Death is staring us and our children in the face, the famine is very severe, we have had no rain for long time," she says.

She is boiling water at her manyatta to serve to Adung Piarae 80, Akut Koriban, 70 and Alice Eruwan, 50.

It is 6.30pm and three-year-old Loboche Ewalan sitting by her side won’t stop crying because of hunger.

We witness the family sharing about three litres of boiled water, perhaps to cheat hunger until the following day when a World Vision field officer is expected to deliver food.

Starting today and for the next one week, The Standard brings you a special report on the food crisis and how Kenyans are struggling to stave off the famine.

Some have gone for days without a meal as they desperately wait for relief food that has not been forthcoming. Hunger-stricken residents of North Rift, Coast and parts of Eastern Province have been reduced to eating wild berries and roots.

Reports by the Kenya Red Cross which have not been independently verified, indicate three people have died of famine-related causes.

About 84 per cent of the 232,000 residents in the district are starving according to data released by the Ministry of Planning.

In Samburu East District, mothers have resorted to giving children wild berries dipped in cooked goat blood.

In the Coast, in parts of Taita, Taveta, Kaloleni, Ganze, Kilifi and Malindi districts, many residents have resorted to wild roots and fruits. The scenario is the same in parts of Makueni, Kajiado and Narok.

Other badly hit areas are in Tana River, North Eastern, Eastern and Central provinces.

Where school is the only chance for a meal

Hunger pangs have forced many parents in Mandera West to send their children to school

Enrolment in primary schools in North-Eastern Province has risen. Parents, who during rainy seasons send children to herd animals, now have a different reason for renewed interest in education.

Ironically, the fact that teachers are on strike has not deterred pupils from going to school.

Children are joining schools to benefit from the World Food Programme school-feeding programme.

—By Adow Jubat

The Standard | Online Edition :: Nangole: I haven’t eaten in days...

Nikiona mambo haya, nashukuru kuwa na Rais kama JK ambae katika kipindi chake, mwanzo mwanzo alipoanza ukuu palitokea upungufu mkubwa wa chakula Tanzania, lakini akawahakikishia wa Tanzania kuwa ''hafi mtu kwa njaa'', na kweli alifanya jitihada na kuhakikisha chakula kinasambazwa kote kwenye matatizo na hivi juzi tuu, kawahakikishia Pemba na wa Tanzania wote, ''hatokufa mtu kwa njaa''. Ahsante Kikwete, ltukiyaona haya ya Kenya ndio tunaijuwa thamani ya Jakaya.

Nikiona mambo haya, nashukuru kuwa na Rais kama JK ambae katika kipindi chake, mwanzo mwanzo alipoanza ukuu palitokea upungufu mkubwa wa chakula Tanzania, lakini akawahakikishia wa Tanzania kuwa ''hafi mtu kwa njaa'', na kweli alifanya jitihada na kuhakikisha chakula kinasambazwa kote kwenye matatizo na hivi juzi tuu, kawahakikishia Pemba na wa Tanzania wote, ''hatokufa mtu kwa njaa''. Ahsante Kikwete, ltukiyaona haya ya Kenya ndio tunaijuwa thamani ya Jakaya.

OMG, Mungu baba awasaidie.. Jakaya, Jakaya.. huyu jamaa amewashika na dawa nini, you cant see beyond this dude, am just curious, will you give him a third term?? LMAO

smatta

- weye ni kiboko...

- post inatuhabarisha kiwango cha njaa kilivyo nchini Kenya, weye unaongelea lini TZ tumeanza kuwa na TV na NAKUMAT? Kwa hakika hii haingii akilini mwa mtu mweyenazo timamu...

- chonde chonde, fanya linalowezekana kuokoa maisha ya wana ndugu hao...

- nawashukuru pia wanahabari wa Standard kwa habari hizi, na hii inanikumbusha hali ilivyokuwa Somalia miaka ya mwanzo ya 80, kama sio mpiga picha kuchapisha ile picha wasomali wangekwisha kwa njaa, achilia mbali vita ya wenyewekwa wenyewe!

- smatta, muombe Mungu aepushe hili balaa an sisi TZ tunawaombea (Ameni)

OMG, Mungu baba awasaidie.. Jakaya, Jakaya.. huyu jamaa amewashika na dawa nini, you cant see beyond this dude, am just curious, will you give him a third term?? LMAO

...Kibaki naye kawashika na nini?..ama ni mwizi wa kura such that you can't see
beyond his presidency or better yet Raila ruling Kenya?..am just curious.Will you guys give him a third term?...Rhetorically speaking.

Tanzania pia wapo watu wanalalamika njaa. Haya ni matatizo ya Global Warming,ni legacy ya colonialism,pia ni matatizo ya intestinal discord,Africans hating Africans.

smatta

- weye ni kiboko...

- post inatuhabarisha kiwango cha njaa kilivyo nchini Kenya, weye unaongelea lini TZ tumeanza kuwa na TV na NAKUMAT? Kwa hakika hii haingii akilini mwa mtu mweyenazo timamu...

- chonde chonde, fanya linalowezekana kuokoa maisha ya wana ndugu hao...

- nawashukuru pia wanahabari wa Standard kwa habari hizi, na hii inanikumbusha hali ilivyokuwa Somalia miaka ya mwanzo ya 80, kama sio mpiga picha kuchapisha ile picha wasomali wangekwisha kwa njaa, achilia mbali vita ya wenyewekwa wenyewe!

- smatta, muombe Mungu aepushe hili balaa an sisi TZ tunawaombea (Ameni)

..Nakumatt yenyewe imewaka moto hapo jana na pamekufa mtu kibao kwa sababu ya uzembe wa watumishi wa Jiji la Nairobi.

Asikwambie mtu kitu mkuu mwenzangu.

Tanzania pia wapo watu wanalalamika njaa. Haya ni matatizo ya Global Warming,ni legacy ya colonialism,pia ni matatizo ya intestinal discord,Africans hating Africans.

Hate is such a strong word, ive never and will never hated TZ, they are ma bros and sisters, Mi ni mkenya wa TZ, am a pare.. What I dont like seeing ni nyinyi mki potray like Kenya is the worst place to be(which is an outright lie). We have to live together like it or not, JK should learn how to live with his EA counterparts awache mambo ya forcing himself to be recognised by the southern African republics, God had a reason muwe East Africa wala si south, please wake your leader from his slumber, he's sleeping on the job.

...Kibaki naye kawashika na nini?..ama ni mwizi wa kura such that you can't see
beyond his presidency or better yet Raila ruling Kenya?..am just curious.Will you guys give him a third term?...Rhetorically speaking.

Ni Kura zako zilimbiwa? kama ni zako we are sorry kama sio zako do the most honorable thing and shut yourself up.
We have seen beyond Kibaki and Raila will be the next in line we did that way before you even thought about it.Even if he wanted to get another term that cannot happen ,don't ask me why.
This issue was highlighted by a Kenyan Media in order to raise an issue for action to be taken it did its job and am sure the relevant agencies responsible are being kept in the loop about the issue.
did you once apply for a Kenyan citizenship and you were denied because every single thread you have come up with on Kenya is always negative based, so in a way you are trying to settle scores.
Either that you post these threads expecting to lighten UP JF because you we will respond in Kind to all the post about us.

Back
Top Bottom