Kenya is more peaceful than Tanzania

Jasusi

JF-Expert Member
May 5, 2006
kenyan+pic.jpg

A young patriotic Kenyan: Kenyans believe their country is the most peaceful country in East Africa, much more peaceful than Tanzania. Photo/PHOEBE OKALL

By JACOB NG'ETICH
Posted Friday, October 8 2010

Kenyans believe their country is the most peaceful country in East Africa, much more peaceful than Tanzania, while they view Uganda as politically unstable.

In a report released on Thursday, Kenyans see Japan as the most technologically savvy country and the US as the most developed country in the world.

Somalia is viewed as the most politically unstable country in the world in a survey that was released by the Steadman Group.

Of the respondents surveyed, 29 per cent viewed Kenya as a peaceful country while 26 per cent thought that there was little peace in Tanzania.

In Africa, 10 per cent of Kenyans viewed Nigeria, the most populous country on the continent, as synonymous with corruption.

When asked about Egypt, seven per cent of the respondents first thought of it as the land of the pharaohs and the pyramids, which are part of the Seven Wonders of the World, as representing their history, while four per cent thought Zambia was peaceful.

Somalia, Sudan, Rwanda and Burundi, in that order, were viewed by Kenyans as politically unstable countries with 65, 46, 41 and 29 percentage points respectively.

The survey, which was done as part of the Steadman quarterly SPEC Barometer, captured Kenyans' perceptions towards Kenya and the rest of the world.

It involved 2,023 respondents - adults, aged 18 and above living in urban and rural areas who were randomly sampled all over the country between September 25 and October 4.

The survey involved a structured face-to-face questionnaire at household level in an effort to establish how Kenyans perceive their country and the rest of the world.

Respondents were asked to indicate what comes to mind when they think of 22 countries in the world.

The countries on the survey included Somalia, Zambia, Burundi, China, United States of America, United Kingdom, Japan, France, Germany, Canada, Italy, Uganda, Sudan and Tanzania.

Others were Kenya, South Africa, Nigeria, Egypt, Libya, Ghana, Senegal and Rwanda.

A total of 11 per cent of the respondents viewed South Africa as a developed economy in the continent while seven per cent thought Ghana was an agricultural country.

Senegal, the West African country with the national football team known as the Lions of Teranga, was easily seen by Kenyans as a sports country with 15 per cent identifying the country with football.

Some 12 per cent of respondents viewed Col Muammar Gaddafi's Libya through the lens of oil and petroleum.

Technological development comes into the Kenyans' minds when Japan and China are mentioned among 22 and 13 per cent of the respondents respectively.

Also, 15 per cent of the respondents viewed the US as the most developed country followed by the United Kingdom at 13 per cent and Canada at six per cent.

Germany appeared to nine percent of the Kenyans as a sporting country followed by France while many Kenyans thought of Pope and religion every time Italy was mentioned.

not worth a discussion? are you out of you mind! this shows how empty Kenyans heads are, If Kenyans are this dimmy I can't imagine the rest of east africa. But we ourselves are not the one blame, it's our goverments that is not giving us enough.

Kama ni hivyo, kwa nini hawakai kwao? Si ndio wanavuka Namanga kila siku na vibegi mgongoni? hawa jamaa, haiishi siku bila kutaja Tanzania! Lazima kuna jambo!

Kenyans believe their country is the most peaceful country in East Africa, much more peaceful than Tanzania, while they view Uganda as politically unstable.

If wishes were gold beggars would ride...............................................

If wishes were gold beggars would ride...............................................

Rutawhatever, the saying goes ''If wishes were HORSES... Is it a must for you to show us your poor educational background??? silence is golden at times, na kama hujui kitu uliza uambiwe, and go back to school while at it.

kenyans dont lack sense of humor, lol! did the more than 1000 people killed after general election not humans, what about mungiki killings? are mungiki killings pigs in streets? what about armed robbery with war weapons the likes of hadn grenade and assaults riffles like AK 47? well if kenya is peaceful then somalia is haven of piece!

It involved 2,023 respondents - adults, aged 18 and above living in urban and rural areas who were randomly sampled all over the country between September 25 and October 4.

The survey involved a structured face-to-face questionnaire at household level in an effort to establish how Kenyans perceive their country and the rest of the world.

In a face to face questionnaire, respondents tend to attempt question without thinking. That is why you can see people dare to utter kenya is more peaceful that TZ.

Rutawhatever, the saying goes ''If wishes were HORSES... Is it a must for you to show us your poor educational background??? silence is golden at times, na kama hujui kitu uliza uambiwe, and go back to school while at it.
umekariri eeh!! poor you!

It is interesting, isn't it, that Kenyans see their country as more peaceful. Which is healthy.

I think they know everything and we know nothing. They even have their own definition of the term Peace, am not sure whether it is evolved from Kikuyu, luo or Kikamba, or whether it was derived from kiluya, but for sure it is different from ours. Why would they have anything similar to backward people?

I am happy to see some of our pals from northern border have started to call themselves Kenyans. Probably election violence (peace as they define it) taught them a lesson or two. Majority still prefer tribal identities (nationalities) than NATIONAL identity, and they even act that way, they prefer to Kikuyus, luos and wazungu, not wakenya.

They think that the book they call constitution has erased tribalism in their minds, wait and see what will happen in the next election, then they will probably redefine "peace"

Kenya inaongoza kwa wizi,ujambazi,ukora,ufuska,ushoga,utapeli kila kitu nafikiri hizo data wametengeneza wao purposely, si hata kilimanjaro wanasema upo kenya.

Yeah Who cares indeed? It is prudent to care whether your neighbour is peaceful or not. Violence does spill over you know!! (e.g.-Somalia instability causes alot of KE's sleepless nights).

After we go to 'war' again in the 2012 elections we will still cross that border and come to TZ. With our bad tabias and all...hahaha!!!

Peace is relative...as far as the survey goes it is more peaceful than it was during PEV.

Yeah Who cares indeed? It is prudent to care whether your neighbour is peaceful or not. Violence does spill over you know!! (e.g.-Somalia instability causes alot of KE's sleepless nights).

After we go to 'war' again in the 2012 elections we will still cross that border and come to TZ. With our bad tabias and all...hahaha!!!

Peace is relative...as far as the survey goes it is more peaceful than it was during PEV.
What if we don't let you in.? It is our discretion to do that, isn't it? That's why your are always at our mercy! Weakness on your part and yet noisy. Debe shinda haliachi kutika! You take it as automatic, uuh? Ila naona Serikali ya Mafisadi inataka kutupeleka huko, ili tuwe kama ninyi! And i know you will laughing, but you won't be able to steal kwenye tule tu-deal twenu twa vitunguu!

What if we don't let you in.? It is our discretion to do that, isn't it? That's why your are always at our mercy! Weakness on your part and yet noisy. Debe shinda haliachi kutika! You take it as automatic, uuh? Ila naona Serikali ya Mafisadi inataka kutupeleka huko, ili tuwe kama ninyi! And i know you will laughing, but you won't be able to steal kwenye tule tu-deal twenu twa vitunguu!

QuonQ
I was waiting for your reply ...Believe you me, you would prefer a peaceful KE. Imagine all the nyang'aus and their nyang'aulets crossing over to TZ because of instability...What a day that will be! Now that we are part of EAC you can be sure that as soon as we see trouble coming we will vuka the mipakas and bring our 'weak, noisy' selves into your territory...The saintly TZ. Infact i can see a halo around TZ. Its full saints.

QuonQ
I was waiting for your reply ...Believe you me, you would prefer a peaceful KE. Imagine all the nyang'aus and their nyang'aulets crossing over to TZ because of instability...What a day that will be! Now that we are part of EAC you can be sure that as soon as we see trouble coming we will vuka the mipakas and bring our 'weak, noisy' selves into your territory...The saintly TZ. Infact i can see a halo around TZ. Its full saints.

You guys are obsessed with Tanzania, you wish we were all dead so you can take over! I never hear you wishing to cross to Ethiopia or Somalia but TZ. Again, you didn't respond to whether crossing to TZ is automatic, are we bound to let you in? Besides, EAC to Tanzania means nothing, it is only you who take it that seriously. Sovereignity is there to stay, and neither are we obliged for any neighbors' priorities/emergencies that may jeopardize our own!

it is unfortunate thruth, but Thanks Nyaralengo....

Mara nying we have been biased, peace kwa sasa ni relative term, pamoja na sisi kubisha sana lakini with what is going on in our country, magonjwa, njaa, siasa chafu etc. inawezekana kabisa tupo kwenye transition ya kuelekea kwenye huge mess

Lets not take the survey (ingawaje sikubaliani nayo) for granted

It takes a few days of unrest to explode the country, na bahati mbaya we are not used to violence

You guys are obsessed with Tanzania, you wish we were all dead so you can take over! I never hear you wishing to cross to Ethiopia or Somalia but TZ. Again, you didn't respond to whether crossing to TZ is automatic, are we bound to let you in? Besides, EAC to Tanzania means nothing, it is only you who take it that seriously. Sovereignity is there to stay, and neither are we obliged for any neighbors' priorities/emergencies that may jeopardize our own!

QN
We are not obsessed with TZ. It is only an option for when things go bad in KE...We do not wish any body dead...we just want to share. Ohh i forgot to tell you how we were gonna cross over...tutavuka mipaka vizuri, tufike huko DAR. Come on! be a good neighbour wacha uchoyo bwana. Sisi tukija wewe utukaribishe kama jirani mwema.

Back
Top Bottom