Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Kenya inaelekea pabaya...

Discussion in 'Kenyan Politics' started by Ab-Titchaz, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Ab-Titchaz

Ab-Titchaz Moderator Staff Member

Mar 29, 2012

Conspiracy against The Hague?

[​IMG]

Deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta (left) and Eldoret North MP William Ruto (right)

By Standard Team

Summary:

• Kibaki's removal of pro-ICC Mutula from Justice ministry,
    • Recall of Mutula, Wetangula from Cabinet Sub-Committee on ICC,
    • Kibaki dispatch of Kalonzo to Bashir with ‘Special message',
    • Mutula replacement with Eugene, key member of G7 Alliance,
    • AG appointment of eminent lawyers to advise State on ICC,
    • Release of fake UK dossier claiming Kibaki too may be indicted,
    • Uhuru reawakening Gema and push for two million signatures,
    • ICC claims about suspicious hacking of witness e-mail accounts,
    • The long series of appeals Kenya filed against ICC trails,
    • Kibaki switch from December election date to March 2013,
    • State's sudden plan to reopen 5000 post election case files.

Will President Kibaki co-operate with International Criminal Court in the next phase of trials if post-election suspects lose the last appeal standing between them and full trial at The Hague?

This is the big question lurking in the shadows of a series of events and even his own actions, which seem to point at the fact that something could be in the offing, or in the least, that someone may be softening the ground for non-co-operation with ICC.

The speculation something could be afoot rose on Tuesday, not just because of the reshuffle that settled scores over The Hague row in Cabinet.

This was also the same day Vice-President Kalonzo Musyoka, who with the blessing of the President, led the shuttle diplomacy across the globe to lobby for deferral or return of Kenya's case at The Hague to the local courts, was in Sudan with a "special message' for President Omar Al Bashir.

Now, Bashir is the besieged President indicted by ICC and whose movement is limited because an arrest warrant is out for him. However, it came out he enjoys a cozy relationship with Kibaki's administration when in 2010 he came to Kenya without fear of arrest and handover to the ICC.

The VP's office, however, insists the visit had nothing to do with ICC, though it is unlikely a meeting between President Kibaki's messenger and an ICC VIP suspect would end without discussions on The Hague given the profile of Kenyans fighting off full trial.

Wield influence

"The Vice-President went to deliver a message on behalf of President Kibaki to President Bashir on the South-North (Sudan) conflict," said Kaplich Barsito, the VP's spokesman.

As Kalonzo met Bashir Kibaki reshuffled his side of the Grand Coalition Cabinet, transferring outspoken Justice minister Mutula Kilonzo from Justice Ministry, and Moses Wetangula from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The changes saw the two replaced at the Cabinet sub-Committee on ICC by their successors in their previous offices – Eugene Wamalwa and Sam Ongeri.

The two newcomers to the sub-committee are perceived to be closer not only to the President, but even more sympathetic to Deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta and Eldoret William Ruto, who are the key pillars of the G7 Alliance.

In the ICC trials, particularly for logistical, consultative and co-operation reasons, Justice and Foreign Affairs ministries play a significant role, and wield influence on the committee that is more like a clearing house for Government-ICC talks.

Travel abroad

"The State is slowly gravitating towards an anti-ICC establishment and it is being pushed by anti-reform forces among us," claimed Land minister James Orengo, who is a member of the sub-committee. He complained Mutula's removal was bound to affect progress made on co-operation with ICC.

"I am seeing an attempt to prepare the stage for non-co-operation with ICC if you examine the recent happenings, but it will boomerang," Orengo warned.

He added: "Yes, you can fail to co-operate with ICC but remain a fugitive who is a villager...you cannot travel abroad."

Imenti Central MP Gitobu Imanyara said he was perturbed the Government had not been categorical on co-operation with ICC. "Going by what has happened one would arrive at the irresistible conclusion that the Government is preparing ground for non-co-operation," he added.

Also ahead of the eagerly awaited ruling on last appeal expected in May, two significant developments took place. In what could be argued to be a precursor to the Cabinet changes, last Friday, Gema (which brings together the Gikuyu, Embu and Meru communities) feted Uhuru in Limuru as central Kenya's leader. They announced plan to collect two million signatures to petition ICC to postpone the Kenya case until after the General Election.

"The Government has not dissociated itself from the tribal meeting in Limuru yet the President's name also featured at the meeting," complained Imanyara.

Immigration Minister Otieno Kajwang' said if at any stage the court senses non-co-operation it would demand the Head of State personally co-operates by handing over the accused persons.

"If he doesn't do so then a warrant of arrest would be issued against him personally and that is the nature of the International law as currently crafted," he added.

Earlier, Attorney General Githu Muigai appointed an eminent team of lawyers to advise the State on the ICC trials. It may be significant that the reshuffle and Kalonzo's trip to Sudan came after these experts told the Government that the government would have no choice but to handover the suspects if their petition flops and ICC issues warrants of arrests.

Further signs that could trigger the question whether there might be a conspiracy building up against The Hague came up when ICC Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo protested the e-mails accounts of some of its witnesses and their associates were being hacked.

Vengeance scheme

Towards this end, police arrested a local journalist and dispatched two senior officers to The Hague to follow up the matter. The claim, if true, has serious implications for the lives of the witnesses, and could even undermine the case at The Hague if they then decide to step down from the dock for fear of their lives.

The State's plan to reopen the 5,000 old post-election files also triggered debate on whether it was not either a silent threat to or vengeance scheme against some politicians who escaped ICC radar, or even an attempt to persuade The Hague Kenya has come of age and can no be trusted to try all post-election violence cases.

Side by side with this was the other curious action of recording statements from some of the ICC suspects by Criminal Investigations Department. This was seen as an attempt to persuade ICC that the Government can indeed be ‘trusted' to handle the cases involving the big fish too.

But again this was done just as the Government hired British legal experts to fight off its case at The Hague through a series of appeals and jurisdictional arguments.

Alongside the claims of hacking of e-mail accounts came the so-called ‘UK Dossier', dismissed as fake by Britain. The dossier purported to show that Kibaki, too, may be indicted on retirement, and that Prime Minister Raila Odinga could have played a role in The Hague cases, and is also the preferred candidate for the West.

Yatta MP Charles Kilonzo who tabled the dossier in Parliament declined to discuss the matter, saying: "I am prohibited to discuss such a matter when it is under investigation so let us wait and see what the committee would come up with."

Change of mind

Wajir West MP Adan Keynan, who is leading parliamentary probe into the dossier, refused to comment on it until the inquiry is over.

The last significant action on this front was President Kibaki's certain change of mind on support for a December 2012 elections date to March 2013, which gives him the possibility of being in power until around May in case there will be an election run-off.

Kajwang' argued Kenya tied its hands the moment it ratified the Rome Statue. "If there was any attempt to do any of these then the Government would be committing a serious international crime," he said.

The Standard | Conspiracy against The Hague?

2. Nairoberry

Nairoberry JF-Expert Member

Mar 29, 2012
    hiyo tu. tumezizoea kaka kama watarajia hiyo itazuilia taifa la kenya kuongeza GDP lake maradufu umenoa sana. tuongelee kuhusu uchaguzi arumeru

3. Ab-Titchaz

Mar 29, 2012
    Nairoberry,

I believe you are barking at the wrong tree and be advised not to do it for long.

Nowhere in this thread am I talking or insinuating anything about GDP and please do
    not derail this thread from the jump. I believe you are intelligent enough to see what
    this thread is about and contribute appropriately.

Ishu za Arumeru peleka Jukwaa la Siasa/Chaguzi ndogo utakutana na wachangiaji kibao tu huko.

Enjoy your day.

Ab-Titchaz.

4. chitambikwa

chitambikwa JF-Expert Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kwaresma njema Wakenya wote

5. Bantugbro

Bantugbro JF-Expert Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kwani kila kitu mpaka iwe ligi?:wink2:

6. Nairoberry

Mar 29, 2012
    Are you threatening me??? are you using your moderator powers to threaten me??? Jesus am shocked!!! i have never seen in my entire blogging life a moderator openly threaten a netter because he does not agree with him. be good to me i could be your shemeji you know :wink2:

7. F

FJM JF-Expert Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Shemeji maandalizi ya pasaka vipi? hahahahaha

8. Ab-Titchaz

Mar 29, 2012
    Nairoberry,

I am not threatening you in any way and please calm down...I'm merely advising you
    in regards to how you went about that 1st posting. If you bait me, I will come knocking
    on your door...loudly!

In regards to that 'shemeji' business, I will pass on that one, for all my sisters are spoken
    for and my brothers have no intentions of marrying!

Karibu Jamiiforums.

Ab-Titchaz

P.S. Follow Bantugbro's advise...'si eti kila mjadala hapa ufanywe ligi'

9. Ab-Titchaz

Mar 29, 2012
    Smatta,

This one's for you....

I believe 'Moi's orphans' are regrouping with a vengance and that doesn't spell well for the reforms
    that kenyans have fought and died for thus far.

God save The Jamhuri!

10. Nairoberry

Mar 29, 2012
    Ab-tichaz you have no way of knowing that i could be your brother in law, anyway that said i did not plan to derail this thread, my first reaction was that this thread was in bad faith, even your title is grossly misleadin,alarming and sensationalist . and yes am very educated i studied criminal psycology and i can tel you i easily can read a person mind through writing or even looking at them. well i also do get excited when Kenya is mentioned. i think i am the number one tanzanian that loves kenya. i would like to see Kenya and tanzania become one country with the capital of course in Nairobi :cool2:

11. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Let me not stir the paint on this issue AB, I'd rather sit on the fence, sip my tusker and watch the newbies (who are extremely sharp I must add) square it out.

PS. The new constitution insulated the Jamhuri against this anti reformers, we had anticipated this (considering the powers that were fighting the new constitution) and concrete steps were taken to prevent the constitution from being tampered with by the people in power. Remember our civil societies are strong and vocal, such stunts would be met with demos and probably a revolution.. I know am just being optimistic, but we are patriots and will shed blood for this country.

12. S

Stuxnet JF-Expert Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kikuyus ought to be vigilant on events that will change Kenya socia-politico structure forever. Kikuyu and affiliates have enjoyed fruits of sovereign Kenya since independence day in early 1960s. The three Os (Oginga-Obama-Ocampo) connection has determined to put to end the Kikuku dynasty. It is now time for Jaluos

13. Tutafika

Tutafika JF-Expert Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Now I can believe the tittle is correct!, Kenya is heading to unknown direction!, Kikuyu vs Jaluo in this era?

14. Ab-Titchaz

Mar 29, 2012
    Smatta,

Wewe morio niaje jo?

acha uoga wa kuketi kwenye fence on this one. As a matter of fact I needed the seasoned veterans on this
    thread maana its pregnant with ammo and I will contribute the best way I know how. As regards to these 'newbees'
    naona wanafoka moto na kila nyuzi imekua mjadala between who's 'mama is the best cook'..:crazy:...Its like folks can't
    see eye to eye! U already see Nairoberry trying to gnaw at my heels with his baby punches. I like their zeal
    though and I welcome them with open arms!...Wapi Nyaralego?

I noticed something about the 'Oil Discovery' announcement that Kibaki via Kiraitu was tryna make us jump heads
    over heels about. Then behind the scenes (infact in immediate succession) the Cabinet Reshuffle was announced!
    Now this should have been the groundbreaking news of the day owing to the fact that The Justice Minister,
    Mutula Kilonzo
    who is a known critic of the Uhuruto unholy alliance was shown the door and replaced by the bootlicker
    wanna-be called Eugene Wamalwa..who is a poodle of the G7...infact those were Kilonzo's partying words during the
    handover. Also Wetangula was moved...I believe the other day he said his party would 'work together' with ODM yet he
    is supposed to be in govt, courtesy of the PNU wing of the Govt. This is what the Kenyan dailies should fretting
    about and as expected, they aint!

Then according to Kiraitu's statements, that Oil is not gonna be available for another 5yrs or so. Tie that to the fact
    Wetangula's company 'sold' that land to a foreign entity...how do the land laws go in Kenya in that regard? Hawa jama
    watafaidi everything 'in toto' till after 5yrs au vp? Kisha the laws behind these oils deals are very murky and
    unfair to the local mwananchi...ask the Nigerians. So when I add one and one together, I don't sincerely believe this
    oil discovery thing is anything to call home about. These companies have been prospecting in Kenya for more than 20yrs
    or so. When I was going to college in KE, I believe Shell were doing some prospecting with there offices located at
    the current PM's office. So I'm still skeptical or is it pessimistic!..I stand corrected though.

Now lets move from that smoke screen to the big elephant in the house...non-cooperation with the ICC. That article
    above from The Standard says it all and there was another article by Barak Muluka in the same standard that highlights
    the coming together of Moi's orphans (representing the old order and impunity) and the war against Raila (who
    represents reform and change).... KENYANS SHOULD BE AWARE OF ANTI-RAILA FORCES OUT TO STALL REFORMS
    AGENDA

This matter is huge and hangs over Kenya's future like a bad dream that just wont go away. The reality of the ICC case
    proceeding is suddenly dawning on the Ocampo 4 and that could be real scary. That Congo guy just got jailed the other
    day and add Bemba and Taylor to that group. These were some very rich and powerful people in their backyards but the
    ICC has cut them to size. Uhuru and Ruto are looking at that keenly and believe me, they don't care about Kenya or
    whatever. Cha mno kwao ni kuepuka kifungo kule Hague....and to this end they will do anything...even if it is to drag the
    whole country down with them...as a pariah state if at all they pull a Bashir!... Remember during the GEMA meeting, that
    lady Mbarire (who had the tiff with PLO) told Uhuru categorically that if he went to the Hague he would not come back!
    The fear of sealed warrants is already rife in Camp Uhuruto!...bila kusahau freezing assests and the like. Will Kibaki
    play ball?...I doubt it.

If there is such a fallout, the sufferers will be the ordinary mwananchi because the economic sanctions will be hard to
    overcome. I remember when UK got indicted at The Hague, mjamaa wanted to refuse to resign..but behind closed
    doors, the World Bank and IMF told the KE govt, there was no way in hell they would sit at the same table with an
    indicted war criminal whose crimes included rape and murder.
    Kibaki had to capitulate on that one! If they refuse to
    honor the summons of ICC then Kenyatta's family will have a lot to lose maana there assets will be a target. The man
    is involved in almost all business in KE (from Banking, Insurance companies,Tourism, Exports, Farming...name it, he's in it!)
    na mambo itakua mbaya in a quick way. Hio mafuta naamini will be used to propagate the fallacy that 'we will be fine'...
    the wadosis will be fine lakini Wanjiku atazidi kusota mbaya sana even the Moi days will look like child's play.

This is where I'm coming from. Over to you!

Ab-Titchaz.

15. Ab-Titchaz

Mar 29, 2012
    Mkuu,

hii seketa is more than Kikuyu Vs Luo...to the untrained eye, thats what it looks like. Infact the people
    trying to control power in KE want the rest of the world to see it that way. The truth is however far
    from that...this is a fight between Status quo/Impunity Vs Forces of Change

Thats whats up!

16. Ab-Titchaz

Mar 29, 2012
    ....Hey Criminal Psychologist...hapo kwenye red, unabonga nini jo?

17. The Boss

The Boss JF-Expert Member

Mar 29, 2012
    how pathetic of you
    for Tanzanian to wish unification with capital in Nairobi...
    in your dream...

18. m

moyo JF-Expert Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Hey Boss..don't take everything you read seriously to avoid unnecessary headaches.

19. Ab-Titchaz

Mar 30, 2012
    Mkuu,

nimeiona hio lakini nikaichunia tu...ni yale ya Israel na Jerusalem sio?...lol

20. Kobello

Kobello JF-Expert Member

Mar 30, 2012
    I don't think Ocampo is such a threat to Kenyatta.
    Neither is he to Bashir, Kagame,Museveni, Hisen Habre and the likes.
    He is more of a threat to the types of Kony,Nkunda and Taylor (after losing power).
    This beef, though surgically explained is more of a local thang than International. It's the same ol banana republic power struggle that is trying so hard to make front pages.
    I wish things were different, but hey!