Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Kenya and South African Navy to Build Armed Naval Ships

Discussion in 'Kenyan News and Politics' started by Nairoberry, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Nairoberry

Nairoberry JF-Expert Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Kenya defense forces naval wing and the South African Defense Forces naval arm are in secret negotiations to start building armed naval ships to increase their maritime capability, SIN defense and intelligence has confirmed.
    Though the two defense departments are in the early stages of creating a partnership, there are high possibilities that the project will consummate and rolled out in the very near future.
    South Africa built a naval ship in 1984 and the ship is still in use. South Africa is one of the defense equipment manufacturers in the world having successfully developed nuclear technology, armed personnel carriers, helicopters, guns, among other defense equipment. in other stories Kenya acquired the battle ship KNS jasiri from euro marines and it is expected to dock today at the port of Mombasa. the battle ship is armed with modern weaponry and navagation systems and will be the most sophisticated ship in African Indian ocean with the exception of SANS

Kenya and South African Navy to Build Armed Naval Ships « Strategic Intelligence News

Sh4bn Navy ship finally sails home- News|nation.co.ke

2. Nairoberry

Aug 27, 2012
    A decade after it was ordered, the Kenyan Navy took delivery of its latest $56 million warship, the KNS Jasiri,

The ship is equipped with long-range cannons, missile launchers, machine guns and advanced radar and communications systems, an official with Kenya's Department of Defense said.
    The ship is expected to be used to combat piracy and militancy.The Kenyan Defence Forces, alongside other soldiers, are under the Africa Union Mission in Somalia, which is believed to be preparing an assault on the Southern Somali port of Kismayo, the stronghold of the Islamist insurgent group, Al Shabbab.
    New Kenyan warship likely to boost African Union Mission in Somalia | New Europe

3. Nairoberry

Aug 29, 2012
    [h=1]Military pomp as Sh4bn naval ship set to be unveiled[/h]

An elaborate ceremony has been put in place for the newest addition to Kenya's military hardware, the KNS Jasiri battleship.

The Chief of the Defence Forces Julius Karangi, the parliamentary committee on defence and other military top brass will receive the Sh4.6 billion vessel at the Mombasa Port Wednesday.

President Kibaki, who was expected to unveil the naval ship, is set to attend the burial of Josephine Michuki in Kangema.

Defence minister Yusuf Haji was recalled to Nairobi to issue a statement in Parliament over the Mombasa riots following the killing of fiery cleric Aboud Rogo on Monday.

The battleship, which is expected to boost the Navy's capacity to fight terrorism and defend the country, arrived in Kenyan waters Tuesday but has been kept out of sight to await the ceremony.

And in typical military fashion, a number of events have been lined up to mark the ship's arrival.

They include a 'sail-past' by KNS Jasiri as a detachment from the Kenya Air Force conducts a simultaneous fly-past.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Raila Odinga will host Muslim and Christian leaders for breakfast at the Nyali Beach Hotel in Mombasa.
    Military pomp as Sh4bn naval ship set to be unveiled- News|nation.co.ke

4. Nairoberry

Aug 30, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016
  5. Ndahani

Ndahani JF-Expert Member

Aug 30, 2012
    That is the race against who? Shabaab?

6. Nairoberry

Aug 30, 2012
    i just wonder where are the guns and missiles they said are on this ship i cant see any are the hidden or what? also the media was not allowed to tour the whole ship why?

7. Ab-Titchaz

Ab-Titchaz Content Manager Staff Member

Aug 30, 2012
    ....coz this is a damn fishing boat!!!!!!!.....:evil:

8. livefire

livefire JF-Expert Member

Aug 30, 2012
    ha ha ha.....wow! A fishing boat welcomed by both airforce jets and helicopter flypasts? Hehe, u smoking kitu big.lol. Its not the best ship (not boat) but its armed adequately to retain the mantle, ''the best navy in East Coast!''

9. kshaka

kshaka JF-Expert Member

Aug 30, 2012
    With our fishing boats, our navy is still 10 times better than some countries I could name who have a longer coastline than we do (and have more natural resources to boot)...and they still think we are the fools

10. N

Namtih58 JF-Expert Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Ok I am confused now. Hizi habari, kuna watu wana taka kutudanganya kusudi ama wao wenyewe hawaelewi. Meli hii inafaa kuwa "oceanographic vesel" yaani meli yenye mitambo ya kufanya research kuhusu bahari. Yaani hata ukisikiliza hiyo video ya kwanza kuanzia @1:40 mwenyewe anasema sio meli ya vita ila ni ya utafiti.

Sasa mwenzake naye @0:24 (video ya tatu) anakimbilia kutuonyesha mota ya kungoa nanga, eti ni "battle field misile system", exhaust ama speed boats (sijui ni analenga kipi) ati ni "airforce defence misile systems".

Hata hao wakubwa wenyewe wanaojua ni meli ya aina ipi hata wao inaonekana wanachanganya. Sasa sijui nani kamdanganya mwenzake, au wote hawajui, lskini ni aibu kwa reporter ku leta habari tu bila kukielewa unacho kisema.

Dont get me wrong I believe this is one of the best things to happen, dare I say in east africa, the sooner our governments realise that it is time that we started doing our own research, the sooner we stop relying on foreigners for everything. having a resech vessel even if owned by the KE navy is a bold step in that direction.

11. R

Reginald12 JF-Expert Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Kulingana na taarifa za awali kupitia vyombo vingi hata kabla ya meli hiyo kufika, ni kwamba hiyo meli ilikuwa inajengwa kama 'Oceanographic Research/survey ship' lakini ikawa 'converted' kuwa naval ship. Hata uki-google KNS Jasiri utapata description kuwa ni converted vessel.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000059387&story_title=State-readies-itself-to-receive-troubled-ship

http://intelligencebriefs.com/?cat=15

12. Ab-Titchaz

Aug 31, 2012
    livefire,

I might be smoking something big but that doesn't negate the fact that the procurement of this ship is riddled
    with corruption and fleecing of taxpayers money under the Anglo-Leasing scandal. Infact the TV presents this thing
    as "Kenya Navy receives Anglo leasing Warship". That right there makes the prudent mind question what this thing is
    about. If the starter of this thread had done his homework he would have realized this was a matter I had already
    zeroed in under this thread... KIBAKI ADMINISTRATION PAYS OUT BILLIONS AS ELECTIONS NEAR.

If its mantles you are interested in then you can have then and chest thump all you want. I'm more interested in
    having a friend I can learn from and copy ideas from so long as they are not riddled in corruption and backhand dealings.

That way we will breed a more positive society.

Good day sir.

13. Ab-Titchaz

Aug 31, 2012
    Nobody said that kshaka and you know it!

14. Lambardi

Lambardi JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Angalau wana program endelevu kununua silaha za kisasa....sisi geshi letu lina mtaji wa kuwa wengi na silaha za zamani nyingiiii ambazo zimeisha muda wake na mabomu yaliyo expire

15. simplemind

simplemind JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2012
  16. livefire

livefire JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Mkuu.....
    All info about KNS jasiri is readily available. Btw neatly structured sentences albeit it being a close ended conspiracy statement. Little or nothing to comment to.
    All armed deliveries world over have some form of ''under-dealings'' and that includes your armed forces, UPDF and yeah South African Defence Forces. Its synonymous with its my turn to make sth out of my career nevertheless unethical.
    Though initial military planners are usually guided by foresight, things are rarely as such on the budget statements.
    However, if Kenya arrested this megafraud, i give it to them even though the ship came in on a delayed meter.
    Scrutinise your defence forces fund allocations and expenditure cheque book vis a vis equipments on ground then we can compare notes.
    Just a polite gesture;
    enjoy your day.

17. kshaka

kshaka JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2012
    well, when you say that a country has purchased a friggin' fishing boat for use as a military vessel, you are implying that they are fools because in my mind, only fools would do such a thing!

18. Ab-Titchaz

Aug 31, 2012
    kshaka,

why do you keep doing this?....imagining what people are thinking instead of simply asking what they are really
    thinking
    . What I was driving at with that comment is that the procurement of the vessel was suspect...it
    was a SCANDAL!...I'm implying that corrupt people have stolen the 'Wanjikus' money....ONLY CORRUPT
    PEOPLE DO THAT...(Im not insinuating that Kenyans are fools). Thats not my style of talking bro.

Kenyans are smart people, thats why the MARS group blew the whistle on this whole deal.

nadhani hapo umenipata where I'm coming from.

19. kshaka

kshaka JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2012

Nope, that's not what you said...what you actually said is;

It's a pretty clear statement that the vessel Kenya has purchased for use as a military vessel is a fishing boat so I don't know what you are talking about when you say that I imagined what you were thinking...I didn't imagine it, you actually said it (or maybe explain to me how one can get the explanation that you've given now from this comment?)!

FYI, this is how fishing boats look like; 1

and in our region, they look like this; 2

Attached Files:

20. bongo-live

bongo-live JF-Expert Member

Aug 23, 2016
    oyooo...