Just maintain your lead for 2 more days to silence the critics

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Tiger Woods builds a big lead at Chevron World Challenge Published: Friday, December 02, 2011 | 06:15:07 PM
tiger_337_4.jpg
Allan Henry / US PRESSWIRETiger Woods shot a five-under 67.THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) - Tiger Woods knows he's playing better than he has in the last two years, and he has the leaderboard to prove it.Woods hit a half-dozen extraordinary shots Friday in the Chevron World Challenge on his way to a 5-under 67, giving him a three-shot lead over Matt Kuchar and K.J. Choi going into the weekend at Sherwood Country Club.It was the second straight tournament that Woods had the 36-hole lead. Three weeks ago at the Australian Open, he was one shot ahead until a 75 in the third round. Woods wound up in third place at The Lakes, his best finish of the year.With each round, it looks as though his best might not be too far behind.Woods had two eagles, and nearly had a third with a flop shot from behind the 13th green that he was still talking about long after his round. Not even a double bogey on the par-3 15th hole when a gust knocked his ball into the water could keep him from a comfortable lead after two rounds.``I want the lead after four days,'' said Woods, winless in his last 26 official starts dating to the Australian Masters in November 2009. ``Two days is nice, but four days is even better. I know I'm playing better, and it's nice to see my position on the leaderboard equating to it.``Two stroke-play events in a row I've played really well.''Woods was at 8-under 136 and will play in the final group Saturday with Kuchar, who still is trying to figure out how to finish off a good day at Sherwood.At least this time, Kuchar only came up short and into the water on the 18th for a bogey. In the opening round, he was two shots out of the lead until a triple bogey on the 16th and a bogey on the 17th sent him to a 72. Kuchar played well again as the wind arrived in the middle of the round, and shot 67 to match Woods and Zach Johnson for the best score of the day.``I always thought as a player, if you had a chance ... and you want to test yourself against the very best, it seemed like, man, if you could go toe-to-toe with Tiger Woods and have a chance to beat him, that's a real feather in your cap,'' Kuchar said. ``And you want his best. You don't want to see him struggling and missing cuts. That's no fun to say, `I beat Tiger Woods. He missed the cut and I had a 15th-place finish.' You want him at his best going toe-to-toe coming down to the wire.``And it's fun to see him at that point.''Choi had a three-shot lead over Woods through six holes and was staying with him until hitting in the water twice on the par-3 15th, taking a quadruple-bogey 7. Choi bounced back with a birdie and salvaged a 73.He's still very much in the mix, though Choi saw what he might be up against on the weekend.``To put it simply, today he played like an artist,'' Choi said about Woods. ``It's pretty clear that he's really recovered and is back in his old form again, and he missed a few putts, but it was really good to see him play well.''Johnson and Hunter Mahan (68) were four shots behind at 4-under 140 in the 18-player tournament.Woods' only bad hole was the 15th, where he had no complaints about the shot. He hit an 8-iron just like he wanted, then could only hope that the wind swirling through that corner of the small canyon left the ball alone. It didn't. He went into the water and missed his bogey putt.Despite a double bogey, Woods wound up expanding his lead on that hole because of Choi's mishap.``Not exactly how I envisioned ... increasing my lead,'' Woods said. ``But no, I hit a sweet shot in there. Unfortunately, I caught the wrong gust at the right time. There was nothing I could do.''There wasn't much wrong with the rest of his day.On the par-5 second hole, Woods was on the side of the hill under a tree when he hit a 5-iron with a fade over the water to a front pin. He skipped sideways down the hill and clutched his fist about shoulder-high when the ball plopped down 4 feet from the cup. It's rare for anyone, much less Woods, to show that kind of emotion on the second hole on a Friday. The shot was that good, and there was more to come.His one bad swing on the par-5 fifth was a snap hook into the trees, and he was lucky to find the ball to punch out. From 257 yards to an elevated green, Woods hit a 3-wood left of the flag, and it caught the slope and rolled to 4 feet. What looked like a possible bogey turned into an unlikely birdie chance, until he missed the putt.He three-putted the next hole as Choi began to retake the lead, but Woods caught him with a 4-iron to about 15 feet for eagle on No. 11, followed by a 12-foot birdie putt on the next hole and that flop shot that stopped a turn from dropping on No. 13 that left him a tap-in birdie.Woods had a four-shot lead at the Chevron World Challenge last year, and kept that lead all the way into the final round until Graeme McDowell caught him on Sunday and beat him in a playoff. Woods has said he only had one shot that day, though now he appears to have any shot he wants.He has shot in the 60s in eight of his last nine rounds, dating to the second round of the Frys.com Open. Even so, Woods is only halfway home to ending the longest drought of his career. Kuchar, meanwhile, is coming off a World Cup win with Gary Woodland and was happy to have a chance. There was a time when Woods was five shots clear, and it looked as though the final official event of the year in America could be a two-man race between Woods and Choi.``I had it going yesterday, had it going today,'' Kuchar said. ``It's been a good stretch for me the last couple weeks. I felt like I certainly could throw my hat there in the ring and then hope to try to catch them. I'm still a couple shots back, but with 36 holes to play, got some time to catch up.''

Tiger Woooooooods!!!! Congratulations!

[h=2]Tiger Woods wins Chevron World Challenge for first title since 2009[/h]https://www.jamiiforums.com/contributor/cameron-morfit
  • By: Cameron Morfit,Senior Writer, GOLF Magazine

woods_337_4.jpg
Allan Henry/US PRESSWIRE
Tiger Woods birdied the final two holes to win by one.

For the second straight year, Tiger Woods found himself locked in a battle with a gritty little competitor who refused to go away at the Chevron World Challenge at Sherwood Country Club.
This time, Woods delivered the clutch putts at the end, making an eight-foot, downhill birdie putt to finally put away Zach Johnson.
Woods gave a violent fist pump as his second straight birdie disappeared into the cup, perhaps reigniting one of the most storied careers in golf. Johnson and his caddie, Damon Green, looked at each other and smiled as the crowd erupted. It was a familiar sight, albeit one we hadn't seen in more than two years.
"It feels great," said Woods, who notched the 88th victory of his career. "It was a lot of fun coming down the stretch like that."
Woods was attempting to break the longest winless streak of his career, a 749-day dry spell that spanned 26 starts in which he had been unable to prevail in either an official or unofficial tournament. No one could have guessed on Nov. 15, 2009, when Woods won the JB Were Australian Masters, that it would be this long before he won again.
It seemed as if Sunday would be Tiger's day after he dropped his approach shot to within three feet on the 10th hole and made the short birdie putt, and then hit the green in two on the par-5 11th hole, setting up a two-putt for an easy birdie and a two-stroke lead over Johnson. But while a two-shot lead with seven holes remaining used to mean an automatic victory for Woods, that's not the case anymore.
Woods pulled his 6-iron tee shot on the par-3 12th hole and made bogey to cut the lead to one. After setting himself up perfectly off the tee on the par-5 13th hole, Woods mis-hit his approach shot from 250 yards and failed to get up and down from just in front of the green, missing a birdie try from about 10 feet. Johnson drained his putt from about 12 feet to tie and birdied the par-5 16th to take the lead.
Woods responded with a birdie of his own to tie on the par-3 17th.
There have been moments when it appeared Woods was back on track. He went nine under par through 15 holes to beat Francesco Molinari at the 2010 Ryder Cup, and nearly won the 2010 Chevron until Graeme McDowell's late heroics forced a playoff, which McDowell won. Woods tied for fourth at the Masters this year after a thrilling Sunday charge.
But for every encouraging development, it seemed there was an equally deflating false start. Woods hurt his oft-injured left knee while hitting from a bed of pine needles at the Masters, an injury that would sideline him for most of May, and all of June and July, and setting him back in his effort to rebuild his swing. When he came back at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, he tied for 37th place while his former caddie, Steve Williams, gloated after yet another victory, this time with Adam Scott. Woods missed the cut at the PGA Championship, raising new questions about whether he would ever return to the player he once was.
Woods looked great at the Presidents Cup in Australia last month, and in practice at Sherwood, but as coach Sean Foley said early in the week, "I don't figure out my odds until Sunday at like 7 p.m."
The former No. 1 player in the world will move from 52nd to 21st in the World Ranking after a day on which the other winners around the world included Rory McIlroy (No. 2) and Lee Westwood (No. 3). Woods looked mostly at ease with his new swing, which he's been honing under Foley since August 2010, and his victory Sunday would suggest big things for 2012.
"Every time he goes through some swing changes," Johnson said, "it takes a little while. Then he gets into it and it's, oh, boy, here we go."

At least for the time being atakuwa amewa-silence his critics

Na bado nasubiri Akienda Dubai atakutana na love birds of the media kama akina Rory Mcilroy, Lee Westwood, Phil Mickelson. Nasubiria huo mpambano kama nikiweza nitahudhuria maana media imekuwa ikimuonea sana Tiger Woods. My money is on Tiger for the Dubai classic kwa jinsi nilivomuona jana na juzi the old tiger is back.