Jibu kwa wanaotoa jasho miguuni na mikononi

hKichaka

Apr 23, 2011
[h=1]Sweaty Feet

(Plantar Hyperhidrosis)[/h]Most patients who have sweaty hands will also have sweaty feet, known medically as Plantar Hyperhidrosis. Excessive foot sweating can be as severe as hand sweating. Problems in everyday life such as social and functional settings can be difficult. Shoes can be ruined, sandals cannot be worn, heels can be too difficult to wear, and foot odor and fungal infection can become problematic. It can lead to marital problems as well as difficulties at the work place. The odor and the discomfort caused by excessive foot sweating (plantar hyperhidrosis) can lead to difficulties that are not well known in the medical community.
Sweaty Feet: Photo of patient suffering from Excessive Foot Sweating. © 2010
Proven Cure for Sweaty Feet:

Fortunately, a new surgical solution, specifically for excessive foot sweating, is now offered by Doctor Reisfeld. This new procedure offers an amazing 97% success rate. Why not 100%? There are some rare cases in which anatomical abnormalities can be found preventing the surgeons ability to complete the operation safely.

Also in some rare cases severe scarring from previous unrecognized infections, previous chemical lumbar sympathectomy or other surgeries can prevent the surgeon from completing the operation safely. Safety always comes first in these elective procedures. Doctor Reisfeld is one of only a handful of doctors in the World that specialize in this new procedure.

You may ask why is this important? Many hyperhidrosis surgeons will offer a completely different and much less effective surgical solution for excessive foot sweating called Endoscopic Thoracic Sympathectomy (ETS). The long term success rate of ETS for foot sweating is only 15-20%.

Dr. Reisfeld performs Lumbar Sympathectomy which has a much higher success rate of 97%.

sweat_free_feet.jpg

For Former ETS Patients:

Performing upper Thoracic Sympathectomy (ETS) for excessive hand sweating often times does not fully solve the problem of excessive foot sweating. Only a small percentage of patients had the desired improvement.

Until recently no specific operation was offered for patients suffering from excessive foot sweating. Surgeons in other countries developed Lumbar Sympathectomy which is specifically targeted for excessive foot sweating. In this special approach a specific segment of the sympathetic chain within the lumbar region is cut or clamped to relieve excessive foot sweating.

The important difference between Thoracic Sympathectomy and Lumbar Sympathectomy is that the Thoracic Sympathectomy helps specifically with excessive hand sweating while Lumbar Sympathectomy helps specifically with excessive foot sweating. It should be understood that even though patients who suffer from hand sweating also suffer from excessive foot sweating the Thoracic Sympathectomy (ETS) helps mainly with excessive hand sweating.

For those patients who underwent Thoracic Sympathectomy and did not see improvements with their foot sweating they now have the new and proven option of Lumbar Sympathectomy to eliminate their excessive foot sweating. This is great news for anyone suffering from excessive foot sweating.

Unique Expertise:

Doctor Reisfeld is currently the only known surgeon who has the expertise to perform both the Endoscopic Thoracic Sympathectomy and the Endoscopic Lumbar Sympathectomy procedures. This speaks greatly to his years of dedication and practice in the field of hyperhidrosis.

Currently Dr. Reisfeld performs unique procedures for each type of focal hyperhidrosis. To learn more about each procedure please see our
hyperhidrosis treatments page. Causes of Excessive Foot Sweating:

As far as we know the same gene that causes palmar hyperhidrosis (excessive hand sweating) is responsible for excessive foot sweating as well. The gene causes heightened activity in the sympathetic chain which is part of the involuntary nervous system. The difference is that clinical manifestation of palmar hyperhidrosis will show itself earlier in life than plantar hyperhidrosis.

This is to say that excessive hand sweating is usually a problem earlier in life than excessive foot sweating. In our estimation the reason for that is that the maturation process of plantar sweat glands takes longer than palmar sweat glands.

Of interest is the fact that plantar hyperhidrosis (feet) as well as palmar hyperhidrosis (hands) are limited to a specific part of that organ. In the plantar hyperhidrosis the excessive sweating appears from the ankles down. In the case of palmar hyperhidrosis the excessive sweating appears from the wrist and down to the hands.

History on Lumbar Sympathectomy:

Since about 2005 much more information was obtained with regard to the performance to lumbar sympathectomy for those patients who suffer from plantar hyperhidrosis as a primary problem or for those patients on whom their excessive sweaty feet did not improve after endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy.

This information about lumbar sympathectomy was gathered initially in countries such as Brazil, France and Austria. Lumbar sympathectomy became the operation of choice for those patients. It is done equally on female and male patients.

The question of whether or not the operation will affect retrograde ejaculation in the male patients was proven not to be a problem as long as the level of the lumbar sympathectomy is below lumbar vertebrae #2.

This particular question should be discussed at length with the surgeon before any male patients proceed with lumbar sympathectomy.

Percutaneous chemical denervation of the lumbar sympathetic chain is tried in some places but depending on the material used the effect can be temporary or run the risk of associated injuries to nearby organs such as ureters or blood vessels. The reason for that risk is that when the chemical component is injected it can progress to nearby structures without any ability to limit the spread of this chemical.

The benefit of surgical lumbar sympathectomy is that those organs nearby are recognized and protected throughout the procedure.
Pain after the operation is typically minimal and temporary. So far the pain after lumbar sympathectomy is described as less than the pain experienced after ETS. A decision to go forward with this operation should be considered only after a detailed discussion with the surgeon to perform the procedure occurs.

To learn more about the details of
lumbar sympathectomy click the link. Most of the patients had a one night stay and occasionally some patients go home the same day.

In summary, as excessive hand and foot sweating becomes better understood in the medical field we can now say that those problems are best helped with surgical approaches once the conservative measures have been tried with no success.

Excessive hand sweating (palmar hyperhidrosis) can be helped in about 98% of the cases with upper Thoracic Sympathectomy but with this procedure excessive foot sweating can be helped only partially.

Now thanks to extensive clinical work done in other countries such as Brazil and Europe, as well as with the United States, excessive foot sweating can be helped with lumbar sympathectomy.

For patients on whom Thoracic Sympathectomy did not
help with their excessive foot sweating Lumbar Sympathectomy is a valuable and available procedure.

Learn more about
Lumbar Sympathectomy for foot sweating treatment.

Foot Sweating (Plantar Hyperhidrosis) Summary:

Excessive foot sweating can be a serious problem both in social settings and everyday functional activities such as being comfortable in your home or working environments. This can also affect intimacy between couples due to the smell, discomfort and embarrassment it causes. This is especially true for women having difficulties wearing the appropriate footwear.

You may ask what should I do? Those affected should first discuss the matter with their doctor and then first try the
conservative hyperhidrosis treatment measures available.

If those measures do not give satisfactory relief then consideration should be given to the
hyperhidrosis surgical treatment options to hyperhidrosis.

Lumbar Sympathectomy Peer Reviewed Paper

Dr. Reisfeld finished working on the first published paper regarding his experience with the initial 65 patients who underwent lumbar sympathectomy. The paper is significant because it adds further proof to the validity of performing endoscopic lumbar sympathectomy for patients who suffer from resistant plantar hyperhidrosis.

The paper is available for
review here and is titled "Endoscopic Lumbar Sympathectomy for Focal Plantar Hyperhidrosis Using the Clamping Method"

Hyperhidrosis Testimonials:

"I am able to wear whatever shoes I want. I can buy a beautiful dress, a beautiful pair of shoes and not the shoes that are "ok" just because my feet will sweat."
Florijana
Read More From Florijana
"I not only love my dry hands, but I love my dry feet and armpits as well. In the summer I was able to wear sandals and even flip-flops.! I just can't believe how well my body has responded to the procedure."
Susana
Read More From Susana

"I believe the surgery took place sometime in 2001, I am happy to say that everything is going well. I contribute the ETS procedures as a major part of my success."
(7 Years Later)
Paul
Read More From Paul

"I admire your impeccable professionalism and your utmost skill in the performance of this highly technical and precise surgical procedure. I have waited many years since I was a young girl to properly get rid of this problem. My knowledge as a dermatologist led me to the best procedure and to the best doctor."

Ligaya.B, M.D.
Read More From Doctor Ligaya
"I had the ETS surgery for palmar hyperhidrosis in 2003 and wanted to thank you and your staff for all of help. Taking a standardized test in the past was nearly impossible without handing in a sopping wet ScanTron sheet.

Since my surgery date, I was able to take the paper and pencil medical school entrance exams. I applied to medical school and now I am a second year medical student in Ohio! This surgery changed my life."

Sarah
Read More From Sarah

"I would also like to thank all of your staff for such a pleasant experience. They were very friendly and helpful from the first time that I made a phone call to your office up to the time in the recovery room. Everyone made me feel very comfortable and well taken care of."

Peggy.P
Read More From Peggy
point.gif
Read from several touching
thank you letters Dr. Reisfeld has received over the years since 1996.

Source :Elminate Foot Sweating - Sweaty Feet Treatments, Causes, Diagnosis

Back
Top Bottom