Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Jesus too was crucified for telling the truth - Dr Slaa

Discussion in 'Habari na Hoja mchanganyiko' started by BAK, May 11, 2009.

1. BAK

BAK JF-Expert Member

May 11, 2009
    Jesus too was crucified for telling the truth - Dr Slaa
    By Rodgers Luhwago
    10th May 2009

Karatu legislator Dr Willibrod SlaaKaratu legislator Dr Willibrod Slaa has scoffed at being booed by fellow lawmakers at the just ended 15th Parliamentary meeting in Dodoma, saying even Jesus Christ was crucified on the cross for telling the truth.

Speaking to The Guardian on Sunday recently, Dr Slaa said he was not bothered by such a move masterminded by legislators from the ruling Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM) who booed him whenever his name was mentioned in the parliamentary debating chamber.

“What did you expect from them after I told the truth about the MPs’ salaries and allowances? I touched their meals. Even Jesus Christ was crucified just because he told the truth,” Dr Slaa said.

The opposition lawmaker who also doubles as Chadema secretary general said the office of the Parliament should have stated the truth for the public to understand instead of painting him (Dr Slaa) black that he was fond of cheap politics.

“As a legislator I expressed my feelings to the public about what MPs earn but the speaker reacted saying what I said was distortion of the truth. Very unfortunately neither the speaker himself nor any MP has come forward to tell the truth,” he said.

The booing at Dr Slaa by the MPs which took on a character of a comedy, featured at the just ended 15th Parliamentary meeting in Dodoma after the opposition lawmaker told people in public rallies that allowances paid to legislators were too high while salaries for some working cadres in the country were pathetic.

“Being booed is a positive thing to me and is also a compliment and grace to me. I am not bothered at all because I know that even Jesus Christ was beaten and crucified on the cross until he died for just telling the truth,” the legislator, who is specialized in Christian theology, added.

However, in a separate interview with The Guardian on Sunday recently, Speaker Samuel Sitta said it was not true that legislators were earning huge income, adding that the packages for MPs are wrongly judged by the public.

According to Sitta, lawmakers’ taxable base stands at 1.8m/-, adding that the rest of the money paid to them is shared with their aides. He expressed concern that critics were wrongly judging the MPs’ pay by including their allowances and other charges into their monthly salaries.

“Is it fair to include a sitting allowance, per diem and other charges into an MP’s monthly pay? Is it also justifiable to include the salary of an assistant to an MP’s monthly pay? ” queried Sitta .

The sSpeaker said the allowances paid to the MPs are just the same as the allowances paid to all other public servants of such a rank, adding that all senior officers are paid per diems and sitting allowances.

He said, according to the public service system, per diems and sitting allowances are never taken as an official income of the person.

“In fact the per diem paid to the MPs is sometimes not sufficient when they travel to places like Arusha. We are sometimes forced to pay for hotel accommodation in Arusha,” Sitta said.

The Speaker mentioned things paid for in the office of the legislator as stationeries, water, power and telecommunication and all of them cost Sh 735,000/- per month.