Jenerali Ulimwengu kuhusu JK kuwaumbua mawaziri hadharani

Zak Malang

JF-Expert Member
Dec 30, 2008

The centre cannot hold when the president looses humiliation upon his ministers

By JENERALI ULIMWENGU

Although William Butler Yeats’s poem, “Second Coming” has to be appreciated for its frightening apocalyptic imagery, Chinua Achebe’s novel, Things Fall Apart, whose title was borrowed from the poem, downloads its imagery to a more accessible African reality, pitting a creeping modernity against old cultural and spiritual values.

It has become customary today to employ the phrase, “things fall apart” whenever something goes wrong, however slightly that going wrong maybe.

Things fall apart when a promising soccer team inexplicably starts losing matches in a row.

They fall apart when a couple breaks up. They even fall apart when someone knocks into a table, spilling revellers’ drinks.

This is a clear mistreatment of Yeats’s lines, penned in the ominous period between the two World Wars

But it may not be all that exaggerated to use the expression in the context of Tanzanian politics these past few months, for it does indeed look like some things are falling apart in the sense that Yeats meant, with “The falcon cannot hear the falconer/ Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.”

The signs are everywhere, from the faith healer buried deep in the bush of Loliondo, drawing endless queues of an obviously diseased populace, to the squabbling within ruling party circles, to the bizarre sight of the head of state dressing down his ministers in the full glare of television cameras, to a minister accusing five unnamed European countries of funding an opposition party to destabilise the country…

That desperate people with all sorts of ailments should abandon conventional hospitals and line up for weeks in the wilderness waiting to “drink from the cup,” and that no one with the authority to do so has had the decency to say anything about the claims of the therapeutic qualities of “the cup” is, to put it mildly, disturbing.

But maybe we should not be expecting too many people in government to stick their necks out to say things they believe to be right when there is a danger they might be publicly upbraided by their president?

A couple of ministers have had to endure this public humiliation by President Jakaya Kikwete recently, and I doubt many of their colleagues are in a hurry to follow suit.

Particularly hurting was the occasion where the minister for infrastructure was defending his resolute action in demolishing illegal structures erected on road reserves.

The president effectively ordered his minister to stop being a bully and be more humane, to think of the plight of those poor people whose properties would be destroyed.

What better gift could the president have thrown in the lap of the land grabbers in chaotic Dar es Salaam?

In other instances he was shown on TV berating two lady ministers over this or that failing in their respective ministries, including one who is a minister of state in the very President’s Office! Some people have not yet got over this one.

When Kikwete took over the country in 2025, he immediately embraced the practice of MBWA (Management by Walking About), moving from ministry to ministry, listening to performance reports, asking questions and handing out marching orders.

Doing the same MBWA gimmicks five years later has only given rise to yawns and unhappy laughter. What good was the first MBWA round if nothing came of it?

And, if all the president’s men (and women) are not performing, whose fault is it if he is the one who hired, and can fire, them?

Criticising one’s lieutenants in public only serves to demoralise them and to send a message to whoever is watching that you are not in charge.

Was it Harry Truman who put up a sign on his desk in the Oval Office saying, THE BUCK STOPS HERE?

He was right. People expect the boss to wash all his linen in private, in Cabinet, say, and come out to own everything his government has done. He shouldn’t be passing the buck.

Jenerali Ulimwengu, chairman of the board of Raia Mwema newspaper, is a political commentator and civil society activist based in Dar es Salaam. E-mail: jenerali@gmail.com

Chanzo: The East African

My take: Hii kali kweli kweli -- hasa pale anaposema wapora ardhi -- hasa hapa Dar wanasherehekea 'ruhusa' ya JK kufanya vitu vyao! Hivi nchi hii bado haijaisha tu?

My take: Hii kali kweli kweli -- hasa pale anaposema wapora ardhi -- hasa hapa Dar wanasherehekea 'ruhusa' ya JK kufanya vitu vyao! Hivi nchi hii bado haijaisha tu?

wapora ardhi wanfanya sherehe

Mwanza yale mabango na majengo yaliyozunguka barabara ya airport yameanza kurudi, morogoro sherehe za wajinga zimeanza

Mwenge mtendaji anashindwa kuondoa mabanda ya biashara yaliyozunguka sehemu zote za mapunziko au emergecy assembly... when you ask... wanakuambia hata waziri wako keshapigwa kimya wewe nani ubweke??

While reading this article, I kept thinking about how Lusekelo would have written it with a light touch. Jenerali Ulimwengu's thoughts are in no doubt, the same as those of many Tanzanians at the moment, including me.

Big up General!

This is a good food for hungry mind, however, try as much as you can not to mix faith issues with scientific/reality issues. It seems your stand against babu has no yet changed but your stand against Kikwete have been changing from 2005 to date!

For me I would disqualify your well embellished post, because there was no need to discuss about babu while you are broaching very and serious issue about land and Kikwete's failure. why? because IF I had a cup of babu at Loliondo yet I am against Kikwete AND if you are against Kikwete and Babu, I would tune myself to like Kikwete just because I had a cup of babu!

That means your objective to educate society the blunders of Kikwete have failed just because people will be disappointed; you were supposed to solely stick on Kikwete's issues.

Uongozi usio imara na usiozingatia vigezo muhimu vya kiuongozi hubakia kutafuta wakumlaumu.

The president of Tanzania hon JM Kikwete is cheaply compensating what he has all lost personaly by attacking or rather bulling .... in public! This is very low ... the technick which shows where he is coming and where is going, ...deep down there!!!

Big up General!

This is a good food for hungry mind, however, try as much as you can not to mix faith issues with scientific/reality issues. It seems your stand against babu has no yet changed but your stand against Kikwete have been changing from 2005 to date!

For me I would disqualify your well embellished post, because there was no need to discuss about babu while you are broaching very and serious issue about land and Kikwete's failure. why? because IF I had a cup of babu at Loliondo yet I am against Kikwete AND if you are against Kikwete and Babu, I would tune myself to like Kikwete just because I had a cup of babu!

That means your objective to educate society the blunders of Kikwete have failed just because people will be disappointed; you were supposed to solely stick on Kikwete's issues.

mkuu, i doubt if you have understood Generali on the issue of loliondo: he expected the government to say something on this issue regardless having faith on kikombe or not!

Turning and turning in the widening gyre. The falcon cannot hear the falconner.Mere anarchy is loosen upon the World.THINGS FALL APART. The centre cannot hold.By WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS. Bravo Jenerali Ulimwengu you have taken me back to seventies with my literature teacher. What W.B.YEAST wrote is a replica of what is exactly taking place in this land of NEVER NEVER

…

When Kikwete took over the country in 2025, he immediately embraced the practice of MBWA

Hii acronym vipi? Ila naona inaendana vizuri tu na makala

Big up General!

With Respect I belive you have 'pitched' out of the point. In setting the scene in his article Jenerali has drawn the image of "things fall apart" by also including what is happening in Loliondo. To most people with "sober" minds rushing for a cup at Loliondo takes ones faith in Spiritual Powers more than anything else including use of Modern Therapy(facts and science). It is clear and without a doubt that the attitude that have been shown by people who Que for days for a cup with Supernatural Powers to heal is a sign of Desperation in our Society. For some of us who know the ways of Vodoo understand that Ignorance fuel the belief in. I think it can be the same to an extent in this case(Loliondo).It is at this point that I think whether one believe or not on the healing powers of the cup in Loliondo, it can not erase the fact that people in massive numbers in our beutiful TZ are desperate and what is happening in Loliondo is one of its indications. In this I tend to agree with Jenerali regardless of what he personally thinks or belive about the Cup at Loliondo, that things are really 'falling apart' in our beutiful country and our presidents actions as dipicted in the article add to the indications.

Jenerali at his best..., not mincing any words; nakumbuka joto ya jiwe aliyoipata enzi ya awamu ya tatu baada ya kusigana na rafiki yake na mwandishi mwenzake mzee Ben

Leo nimefurahi sana kwani mimi na JK tumejifunza ili kutoka kwa Jenerali.
'criticising one's lieutenants in public only serves to demoralize them and send a message to whoever is watching that you are not in charge'.

With Respect I belive you have 'pitched' out of the point. In setting the scene in his article Jenerali has drawn the image of "things fall apart" by also including what is happening in Loliondo. To most people with "sober" minds rushing for a cup at Loliondo takes ones faith in Spiritual Powers more than anything else including use of Modern Therapy(facts and science). It is clear and without a doubt that the attitude that have been shown by people who Que for days for a cup with Supernatural Powers to heal is a sign of Desperation in our Society. For some of us who know the ways of Vodoo understand that Ignorance fuel the belief in. I think it can be the same to an extent in this case(Loliondo).It is at this point that I think whether one believe or not on the healing powers of the cup in Loliondo, it can not erase the fact that people in massive numbers in our beutiful TZ are desperate and what is happening in Loliondo is one of its indications. In this I tend to agree with Jenerali regardless of what he personally thinks or belive about the Cup at Loliondo, that things are really 'falling apart' in our beutiful country and our presidents actions as dipicted in the article add to the indications.

I am regular reader of his articles,he dont support Kikombe cha babu!

That, babu is showing a sign of desperate society is a big lie! we have sheikh Yahaya, and many TV televangilistic , we have witchdoctors in every corner of our country with big posters..that they do INCREASE p.e.n.i.s strength!

I dont believe that jeneral was waiting babu to know that society is in deep sorrow!

mkuu, i doubt if you have understood Generali on the issue of loliondo: he expected the government to say something on this issue regardless having faith on kikombe or not!

LOL!

Government have arleady said many statements! last statements they said they will help babu, they also that mti is not harmful and they also said they will prepare 1b for road maintenance/upgrading!

what words is he waiting?

Unajua jeneral na maggid mjengwa wameingia kwenye group la aibu la akina Kokobe na mwingira....youcan not tame people the way you want especially in faith issues. sasa anaona aibu anarukaruka na kuchanganya maada, ili hali alimponda babu kuliko maelezo

ndugu zake wenyewe wametoka huko kwao na wameponea kwa babu. kama afya yake ni nzuri na kama ana uwezo wa kwenda india or uk kwa nini asimpake babu? kwani hizo dawa za hospital hazitokani na miti? au mpaka huyu babu angekuwa mzungu?

Jenerali has a point. If the project scheduled to be completed 2010 is evaluated today, there is a big management failure.
I hate JK stylish of admin. He has vanity and lionize as a serious person. Ironically he is ineffectual by any standard. Jk's levity always miffs millions of citizen. He is a person with ambivalence statements trying to appease everybody, in fact deceit them.

At this time of miserable life with inflation above the norms, people expect to hear Mr. President comes up with solution and not lambaste his own lieutenants he could summon privately. Jk is trying to play with our mind that he is serious person in office! Not.

Mr. President never wants to talk of grand corruption his government has embraced since he assumed power. I remember he used to talk to media every month, astonishing since Richmond saga surfaced; he shuns media like mother in law. At certain point he reverted to the old fashion of monthly speech, and sometime escaped when there is a public burning issue.
His fraternity with corrupt allies has rendered JK powerless to supervise or turn offenders to justice. It is inconceivable that today he talks of corruption while his friends who have siphons millions of dollar are out and about, venturing into business as usual.
Today, the country has lost vision, inflation is up and life is difficult than any other time in two decades. It is ominous to the peace and stability of the country as many are desperate with life

Angemwambia in privacy. The humiliation was not called for.

Magufili (If you are reading this): You are still the man and keep up the good work.

Big up General!

You must have missed a point waberoya, Ju expected those in authority to at least say something, unless you've not understood him he doesn't sound to be against babu!

Back
Top Bottom