Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Jenerali Ulimwengu: As CCM intrigues intensify, everyones talking about Ole Millya... Ole who?

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by nngu007, Apr 23, 2012.

1. nngu007

nngu007 JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012

Posted Saturday, April 21 2012 at 11:44

Ordinarily, a regional chief of a youth organisation of a political party would be small fry, and whatever he did would not add up to much in the general scheme of things political.

Still, when James Ole Millya, chair of the Arusha CCM regional youth wing, made a personal decision last week, it was something to write home about.

The young man called a press meeting to state that he was resigning all his party leadership positions, quitting the party he had been born into and - the shocker - joining the main opposition party and CCM's current nemesis, Chadema.

But why would this relatively unimportant young man in a provincial setting have the chattering classes agog by simply changing party allegiance in a system where parties actually mean nothing?

For starters, Tanzanian officials never resign from office no matter what goes wrong on their watch.

A ferryboat capsizes, killing hundreds of voyagers and nobody in the transportation sector takes responsibility; a train is derailed and passengers are killed, and nothing happens; an ammunitions dump explodes, killing civilians, seriously damaging property and sowing panic and nobody in the defence ministry seems gravely concerned, et cetera et cetera.

That is when something has gone awry in an area for which someone is supposedly responsible.

There is also the case where someone has been abused by a superior or a system, where they know they are being treated shabbily and that there might be a better world outside the abusive setup, but they simply do not quit, for quitting is un-Tanzanian.

Like the nail on the wall, they keep receiving the hammer blows until the whole edifice crumbles with them in it.

So, why was this young man doing what is not the done thing in our culture, people are still asking.

For one thing, it is well known that this youth is a close ally of former prime minister Edward Lowassa, who resigned five years ago over an energy procurement scandal, but who is consistently reported as having presidential ambitions for 2015.

Lowassa is also known to harbour a grievance against President Jakaya Kikwete because he believes the latter left him holding the bag when they had both been involved in the controversial deal (in fact, in a recent top party caucus chaired by Kikwete, Lowassa said as much).

Lowassa's unhappiness has not been lessened by efforts within his party to make him the sacrificial lamb in a hypocritical campaign against corruption.

There has been speculation that Lowassa, who has a huge following within the ruling party, could leave the party if he suspects it will not choose him as its presidential candidate.

So is Ole Millya a forerunner, a water tester sent to check the temperature both within Chadema and in the reaction of the public before Lowassa joins in?

Or is he - as a section of the press has suggested - a spy embedded within Chadema to gain firsthand knowledge of the main foe Lowassa will face in case his party picks him in 2015?

But statements that have been made thus far suggest that there may be more defections from the ruling party to Chadema in the coming few months, especially during the internal party elections taking place this year, in which the spurious debate over who is corrupt and who is not - in a party that has itself become synonymous with corruption - will create many casualties who may then jump to Chadema.

If that becomes the trend, it may not be long before Chadema is inundated by masses of immigrants from CCM, soon making that opposition party the ruling outfit and sending CCM the way of the Kanus and UNIPs of this world.

Indeed, could Lowassa be saying, if they don't pick me I'll strengthen Chadema and help it form the coming government, even if I am not in it?

Jenerali Ulimwengu, chairman of the board of the Raia Mwema newspaper, is a political comentator and civil society activist based in Dar es Salaam. E-mail: ulimwengu@jenerali.com

2. Goldman

Goldman JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Good analysis
  3. Janjaweed

Janjaweed JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Maybe OLE-MAGAMBA would elevate the prolific young talent
  4. Kobello

Kobello JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Ni kama bundi, siyo mchafu ila haliki..... sijui kwanini.
  5. kilemi

kilemi JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    CCM wanpenda sana kukariri maneno haya ya baba wa taifa: "Kiongozi bora atatoka CCM".

Lakini hawapendi kukariri haya:"Niliwaambia ili tuwe na upinzani imara ni lazima CCM igawanyike katika makundi mawili, kundi linaloongoza na kundi pinzani. Lakini akina John wakawatishia wenzao, kuwa wataachwa kwenya mataa."
  6. Kiranga

Kiranga JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Ulimwengu wrote.

But he forgets A.H Mwinyi resigned as Minister for Home Affairs in the seventies following the "mob justice" killings of innocent old women accused of being witches in Shinyanga.

Also, the veryLowassa he goes on and on about, did resign ( a bit more than four years ago, not five as he claims).

So it is not true that Tanzanians do not resign as a rule, we just tolerate this culture.
  7. sblandes

sblandes JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Upungufu wa Ujasili wa wananchi ndio tatizo. Hii nidhamu ya uoga imekuwa tatizo na balaa kwa Taifa.Ukazaliwa unafiki,ukalelewa mioyoni mwetu,ikawa tabia yetu na utamaduni wetu.Wakija wananchi wenye maoni au mtizamo tofauti na mamlaka,huwa asikilizwi bali huitwa si mwezetu au katumwa na maadui wa nchi yetu eti wanatuonea wivu.Mpaka hapo tutakapoweza kuheshimu utu wa mtu na fikira zake, njia ya kumkoboa mwananchi itakuwa ndefu sana.Mnakumbuka siku za nyuma katika vikao mbali mbali ulizuka mtindo wa mtuhumiwa akiomba Chama Cha Mapinduzi kimlinde kisa katakiwa kujibu tuhuma zinazomkabili?
  8. Chamoto

Chamoto JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    I think that is what he was trying to say.
  9. Highlander

Highlander JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012

tanzanians do not have this culture. I believe he meant the kind of resignation that is from an individual's inner locus and not forcible. i doubt this was the case in both instances you mention.
  10. R

Ronal Reagan JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    One connection I buy here is that you simply cannot exclude Lowassa from the kamikaze running in ccm.

Ole Millya will have to work so hard to win the trust and approval within CDM and later with wananchi so it's not a straight foward game altogether.
  11. N

Nyauba JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    This is Lowassa's plan B..
    Indeed, could Lowassa be saying, if they don’t pick me I’ll strengthen Chadema and help it form the coming government, even if I am not in it?
  12. Mkomamanga

Mkomamanga JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    As a fact none of the mentioned honourables resigned out of his own willingness. We understand as Mwinyi resigned again there was too much pressure on his shoulders about the mass killing of innocent elders in Shinyanga. As for Lowassa, we understand that uptill now he is still very furious against Hon. Mwakyembe for the investigation report made by the parliamentarian committee which was headed by Hon. Mwakyembe. We would like to hear and see people becoming very responsible and say this has happened in my ministry of company, so as part of being responsible, I am resigning from this post. What is happening in our country is that one resigns when there were no room left for him/her to survive!!!! This is why we do not hail Lowassa for being forced to resign, he was supposed to resign on his own before the government spent a lot of money for making enquiry into his saga then to come out with the conclusion that he MUST RESIGN!!! That is the culture we are lacking in Tanzania and I guess this is what Generali Ulimwengu is referring to.
  13. Azimio Jipya

Azimio Jipya JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Come again please ... AND What did you say? ... Ole whaaaattttt???!!!
  14. D

DOTO TIRA New Member

Apr 23, 2012
  15. N

NYAMKANG'ILI JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    BRAVO! well balanced reportage.
  16. Mwanaukweli

Mwanaukweli JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    These were forced resignations.

Even if they were Voluntary resignations, they are exceptions to the prevailing culture. Don't forget that exception proves the rule.
  17. a

akelu kungisi Senior Member

Apr 23, 2012
    I always advise CHADEMA party to exploit this resouce ( Jeneral Ulimwengu ) and use him as an advisor of the party!
    This man is good in analysing and predicting issues that always comes true! Big up Jenerali Ulimwengu!
  18. n

ngozimbili JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2012
    A great thinker but who need a great thinker nowdays?