Je Utakubali Kupewa u "sir" from kile kibibi cha Uingereza ?

PlanckScale

JF-Expert Member
Sep 28, 2008
Huyu jamaa made my day (it is an old story, but very moving):

Benjamin Zephaniah, an English dub poet (kama vile Mutabaruka, Mzwakhe Mbuli, Prince far I, na Linton Kwesi) the acclaimed poet, has refused his appointment as an OBE from the Queen, describing it as a legacy of colonialism. OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) is some bulshit honor that the english queen give to people...shit like Sir, Knight, Dame...

He is not the first one, but he may be the only one who had the balls to speak about it publicly:

"Benjamin Zephaniah refused his appointment as an OBE from the Queen, describing it as a legacy of colonialism. Describing his reaction to the unexpected arrival of a letter from the House of Commons earlier this month, he wrote: "Me? I thought, OBE me? Up yours, I thought. I get angry when I hear the word 'empire'; it reminds me of slavery, it reminds me of thousands of years of brutality, it reminds me of how my foremothers were raped and my forefathers brutalised." He added: "My obsession is about the future and the political rights of all people. Benjamin Zephaniah OBE - no way Mr Blair, no way Mrs Queen. I am profoundly anti-Empire.""

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...be-in-protest-against-colonialism-737107.html

Remains me of what Steve BIKO said (read my signature...)

1 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom