It's Rio for Olympics 2016!

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Live - 2016 Olympics decision day

BBC News Online

#ss-olympic_games h2 {background:#FFFFFF; color:#333333; font:bold 0.85em verdana;}
opener.jpg
Four cities across four continents are waiting to hear if they have been chosen to host the 2016 Summer Olympics. Chicago, Madrid, Rio and Tokyo will discover their fate at 1800 BST on Friday, 2 October.
2016_chicago.jpg
Chicago, the favourite, has had the backing of its former senator, US President Barack Obama. The Chicago bid cost £30.8m and promises five new permanent venues alongside four major stadiums already in place. Full bid guide
2016_madrid.jpg
Madrid missed out with its bid to host the 2012 Olympics, but has spent £26.2m on a fresh bid to bring the Games to Spain four years later. Organisers say 85% of Madrid's prospective Olympic venues already exist. Full bid guide
2016_rio.jpg
Rio believes it has a strong claim to host the Olympics as they would be the first to be held in South America. The £26.3m bid divides the Brazilian city, which hosted the 2007 Pan American Games, into seven event areas. Full bid guide
2016_tokyo.jpg
Tokyo expects to build a new 100,000-seater stadium if it hosts the 2016 Olympics. The rest of the Japanese capital's £30m bid focuses on a compact, efficient Games, with 23 of the 34 venues ready to go. Full bid guide
BACK 1 of 5 NEXT

LIVE TEXT COMMENTARY (all times BST)
no_refresh.gif
No need to reload page, content below updates automatically.
More info

o.gif
606: DEBATE
Your thoughts on the action
To get involved text us on 81111 with OLYMPICS before your message. (Not all contributions can be used; UK mobiles only; network rates apply)
By Sam Lyon
999999.gif

Phil, Surrey, via text on 81111: "Re. Michael Barter (below). While hard cash and construction jobs may be short lived, the opportunities to promote urban regeneration cannot be understated. Rio has so much more to gain."

Saltmartin on 606: "A very powerful and emotional plea to the IOC from Rio. All speakers for the Committee quivering with emotion, including the Brazilian President. It's going to be a tough choice for the IOC to choose I reckon - Rio or Chicago."

BBC sports news correspondent James Pearce on Twitter: "Just been speaking to Lord Sebastian Coe. He reckons the IOC members loved Michelle Obama earlier."

1151: Brazil President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, the latest leader to back his country's bid, tells the IOC delegates: "we're a mixed people and we like being a mixture." So what are the facts of the bid? Well Rio has the largest proposed budget at $14.4bn, with $11.6bn for construction and infrastructure costs - all of which will be underwritten by the government. Bid organisers anticipate 34 venues, including 18 existing facilities, many along the city's picturesque beaches. The 90,000-seater Olympic stadium is already being renovated for the 2014 Football World Cup. As for big names - alongside the president, football legend Pele is a big feather in the bid's cap.

From World Update programme: American commentator Michael Carter said about the fallacy of the Olympic economic boom. "The Olympics does offer a fallacy of consumption because it is perceived that it will bring in a lot more jobs, it will bring in more people who will spend in the economy. But it's (the spending) often very short lived, and the job creation is equally as short lived."

Sportsfan87 on 606: "Personally I think this is a shootout between Tokyo and Rio de Janiero."

1138: So Rio de Janeiro are on stage at the moment, bidding to become the first South American city to ever host the Olympic Games. The city's presentation, led by Brazil President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, got going with the message that, according to Forbes magazine, Rio is "the happiest city in the world". The Brazilian city is regarded as Chicago's closet rival to land the Games and it is these stages that can often prove critical in where the votes go. Crucial hour for Rio.

Anon via text on 81111: "Madrid is incredibly well prepared. Fingers crossed."

nedmerrill on 606: "Fairness may not win any prizes, but just look at the three core Olympic values: Excellence, Respect, Friendship. In the spirit of Friendship, so far South America is the biggest loser alongside Africa in the Olympic family. Africa may struggle still due to economics, but you can't say that about Brazil anymore."

Tony Tewbut, Market Drayton via text on 81111: "If the USA get the Olympics again that would mean they would've had three out of the last nine - is that a fair representation of the six continents?"

1121: With Rio de Janeiro now on stage for their presentation, here's how the news wires reviewed Tokyo's bid. "Japanese leaders urged the IOC to give the 2016 Games to Tokyo to build bridges with the world and ensure a green event for future generations," reported AFP, while AP explained: "Tokyo made its case to host the 2016 Olympics as the best bid for athletes." Meanwhile, Reuters also underlined Tokyo's bid to host a green Games, labelling their presentation "a marked change of tone" from that of Chicago's.

Casey on World Have Your Say blog: "I don't think this is a good time for the US to get the Olympics at all. We really don't need it at this time and it could even be an economic disaster. I like the idea of Brazil getting it. Seems only fair, really. Don't get me wrong - I love the Olympics. Not sure why, but I do get excited about them. I'll get just as excited if they are in Brazil - maybe more so."

Denis from London via text on 81111: "RE Chris from Notts (below) - America hosted the world cup in 1994, and then Atlanta hosted the games in 1996, it should make no difference."

1104: Tokyo's bid is now wrapped up, then, with bid executive board member Mikako Kotani presenting: "As Olympians and Paralympians, we know the games should be held in the city that offers the best stage for athletes. That is our Tokyo." Whichever way you see this going, literally no-one can accurately guarantee the result of this afternoon's secret ballot. It is all to play for.

green1773 on 606: "Rotation is not as important as it used to be and fairness is not a reason to get the Olympics."

Chris in Notts via text on 81111: "Not sure if the IOC will take into account that Brazil has the World Cup in 2014. That could go against them? I tip Chicago to pip them."

1051: If this is your first foray into Olympic bid politics, why not have a butcher's at Gordon 'Five Live' Farquhar's recent blog on the behind-the-scenes activities pre-bid day? If you were happily thinking this is just another relaxed bid race, here are GF's observations: "There's so much spin going on in the lobby and bars of the Marriott in Copenhagen, I'm surprised the hotel isn't ripping off its foundations and starting to revolve... Four years ago in Singapore, when London came away with the spoils, it was pretty intense at this time. Here, it feels even more so. Hearts will be in mouths. The tension is building." Yes - it really is that big. Massive.

Hatoyama supports Tokyo Olympic bid

demlon on 606: "What an exciting race to the finish. I think all of the cities would be great hosts and all are capable of pulling it off but they all seem to their weaknesses as well. I think its between Chicago and Rio but its been an exciting contest so far and maybe we will all be shocked."

1042: While Chicago's bid relied heavily on president Obama, so Tokyo's was based around newly-elected Japan prime minister Yukio Hatoyama. Here's what he has to say on his city's plans to host a 'green Games': "Tokyo will show the world how a great metropolis can host an Olympics without harming the environment. Tokyo will provide a Games which assures personal security and environmental stability. It will show a harmony between humanity and nature." Hatoyama, who only came into office two weeks ago, also wants Tokyo to be at the heart of the enthusiasm and hope the Olympics represent, adding: "The fraternity of the Japanese has been always my philosophy and through that building bridges with the world. It would be a great honour and privilege for the Japanese people to host the Olympics again, to savour together the image of the Olympic Games. We would honour the Olympic Charter in letter and spirit."

Francisco from London via text on 81111: "It is time to change! Except for Rio, all the countries in the bid have already hosted an Olympic event! And on top of that Brazil is the only country that will use the games to really develop its infrastructure for athletes."

1027: Who wants some Tokyo bid facts then? Oh yes, you know it. They may be dark horses in this four-horse race, but they are very much in it to win it and who knows where the members' second, third and fourth choices will go in the vote? Their budget is $4.4bn, with the government funding half of the construction bill. Bid organisers plan 95% of 34 venues within a five-mile radius of downtown, including a 100,000-seat Olympic stadium on the waterfront, and boast 23 existig venues, with land secured for 11 new facilities. An IOC poll, by the way, showed 56% of Tokyo residents support the bid.

Anu D on World Have Your Say blog: "My gut feeling is with Brazil. Helped by their deep water oil finds and other exports they have risen sharply as an economy and hence as a emerging power. The most internationally well aligned and non-controversial of Latin american nations, with first world like facilities for tourists and a holiday destination anyway. Brazil has a lot going in it's favor. And if Olympic Association also has an unspoken objective of spreading it's footprint on that continent. Brazil is a natural fit."

Radio 5 Live's Sports News and Olympics Correspondent Gordon Farquhar in Copenhagen: "The new Japanese prime minister Yukio Hatoyama has made his speech to IOC members and Tokyo's message was very interesting. They focused on environmental concerns and their plans to make 2016 the greenest Games ever by planting hundreds of trees - a tree sea forest as they put it - and using solar panels in the Olympic stadium. They kicked off their presentation with a 15-year-old gymnast talking about being part of the future - It got a round of applause but didn't have the pizazz and polish of the Chicago presentation we saw earlier on."

rapidcaptain on 606: "My thoughts: Madrid - No, London and then another European city 4 years on? Chicago - No, Atlanta 96, although it will be 20yrs by then. Tokyo - Good shout. Rio - Party Time! What an amazing show that'd be!"

BBC sports news correspondent James Munro on the countdown to the 2016 decision, expected around 1800 BST: "It has been a very intense few days in Copenhagen, particularly in the hotel where the IOC members are staying. It is an intense lobbying experience and it is too close to call - the presentations today, that last for about an hour for each city, could make all the difference. There are IOC members inside the hall who have not yet made up their minds and those few votes could make all the difference."

1015: So, Tokyo - whose presentation was kick-started by a 15-year-old gymnast, underlining the bid's desire to involve the children of the city should the 2016 Games be awarded them - are just wrapping up their 45-minute stand in Copenhagen, but many believe they will really have to pull something out of the fire if they are to rival the two cities considered by many to be the front-runners - Chicago and Rio de Janeiro. However, as BBC Sport's Matt Slater pointed out in his blog in August, "my guess is that we'll be left with the same equation: the IOC's heart calling for Copacabana but its head worrying about crime and passing up the riches on offer in Chicago - a confusion that might just let in Madrid or Tokyo."

BBC sports news correspondent James Pearce on Twitter: "By the way, the Chicago presentation overran by two minutes. In theory IOC President Jacques Rogge should have stopped Obama before he finished."

1001: Did you know... From the Chicago Olympic village, about 90% of the athletes are within 15 minutes of their venues? A Chicago Tribune/WGN poll found that 47% of Chicago residents support the bid? Windy City neighbourhoods consist of 26 nationalities of more than 25,000 people apiece? No? Well, you do now. You're welcome.

Anon via text: "I'm not in the slightest anti-American, I visit regularly and enjoy the diversity of the country... but another American city, again? Really? The IOC needs to send the games elsewhere, Rio being the ideal choice!"

0955: Here's how the news wires are reporting Chicago's bid - and no surprises for guessing the Obamas are big, big news. "Led by President Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, Chicago made a heartfelt and, at times, very personal plea for the 2016 Olympics," reported AP. Reuters opened their review of the bid with: "Chicago played its two trump cards on Friday, US President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle both making impassioned speeches." And the AFP report mused: "US President Barack Obama took a brief respite on Friday from a packed political agenda to visit Copenhagen on a mission to capture the 2016 Olympics for his cherished hometown of Chicago... he is taking somewhat of a political risk in putting his presidential prestige on the line."

Saltmartin on 606: "The emotional pull could be enough for Rio De Janerio and it would certainly be a spectacular venue for the games in a continent where it has never been. It all depends on their presentation though."

BBC sports news correspondent James Munro: "The Chicago bid really came alive when the Obamas came to the fore in their presentation - it is now a question of whether their impact is big enough to sway the IOC voters to their city."

BBC sports news correspondent James Pearce on Twitter: "Tokyo presenting at the moment. No way they can compete with the Obamas, even though they have Japanese Prime Minister here to argue their case."

0937: While Tokyo kick off their presentation then, a few Chicago bid facts for you. Their proposed budget is $4.8bn, with $994m for construction and operation costs and a £2.5bn safety net in public and private funds. The Games will be based mainly around Lake Michigan in 31 venues, 15 of which already exist - most notably Soldier Field and the United Center. As an aside, Chicago residents buy 8m tickets to sporting events each year.

MarkE, Stevenage via text on 81111: "Just recalling how unbearable the tension was at decision time four years ago - only now do you begin to feel for the three losing bid cities. I'm hoping for a Madrid surprise victory, they had most votes at Round two of voting last time around but lost a lot of ground to us after New York went out."

Steveo77 on 606: "Chicago v Rio de Janeiro is the real contest with the Obama factor likely to swing it in favour of the Americans."

0926: Chicago entered today slight favourites to win the 2016 Games, lest we forget - although many will concede this year's race is just too close to call. As well as the Obamas' presence, the likes of basketball legend Michael Jordan, TV talk show host Proah Winfrey and secretary of state Hillary Clinton have all lent their support - and as shown by Tony Blair's influence in 2005 and Vladimir Putin's in 2007, personalities can be absolutely crucial to a bid team's success.

Obama supports Chicago Olympic bid

zorlack1966 on 606: "I'd like to see a Chicago win, the city has such a rich tapestry of sporting culture and history. Not to say the other cities don't, but I just feel there is something special about the windy city this year. Maybe it's because Barack Obama is from there - at the moment everything he touches seems to turn to gold."

BBC sports news correspondent James Pearce on Twitter: "My analysis of Chicago presentation: Michelle Obama absolutely fantastic - she spoke with real passion and in some ways upstaged her husband - and President Obama was very good. Rest average."

0915: So, the hard part for Chicago might just be done and dusted - and as expected the bid presentation was dominated by President Barack Obama and the first lady. Michelle opened up, referring to her father as her inspiration for bringing the Games to her hometown. "I am not just asking you to give us the Games as a Chicagoan or as an American, but also as a daughter. My father would have been so proud to see us here bidding for the Games," she said. President Obama followed with an empassioned plea to the IOC members to select Chicago as the host city, saying: "I was born in Hawaii and was taken to Indonesia so I never really had roots until I came to Chicago and discovered this most American of cities which nevertheless possesses 130 different ethnic groups. It is a rich tapestry of neighbourhoods. If you choose us we walk this path together."

BBC sports news correspondent James Pearce on Twitter: "Big day ahead in Copenhagen. So much at stake for the for the bids."

0907: A quick breakdown of today's timetable, then. Well, the Chicago bid team has already made their 45-minute presentation (followed by a 15-minute question-and-answer session) to the IOC members and are meeting the media as we speak - more on that in a bit - with Tokyo up at 0930, Rio de Janeiro at 1110 and Madrid last up at 1350. Following this there will be an IOC Evaluation Committee report, voting, and then the announcement ceremony from about 1730. We have reporters in Copenhagen and eyes and ears around all the teams and voters - what we don't have yet is you lot. I want you to get involved via text on 81111 or over on 606 and lend me your thoughts. Do it - and do it well - and I can make you web famous for 15 minutes. It's almost too much power for one man alone to hold some might say, but there you go.

0900: Four years and 86 days ago, Trafalgar Square played host to scenes of stunning celebration and a party to rival any thrown by Corey "Myspace" Delaney. It was July 2005 and London had been awarded the 2012 Olympic Games following a keenly fought contest against the likes of Paris and Madrid, and the start of a potentially legacy-building process began. Well today is the turn of either Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro or Tokyo. An International Olympic Committee ceremony in Copenhagen, due to conclude some time after 1730 BST, will select the hosts of the 2016 Olympic Games and it has come down to that quartet. Bed down now for a day of twists, turns, votes and vol-au-vents as I bring you all the gossip and news from Denmark, where experts have already been describing this as the closest bid process in history. It could be a bumpy ride.

...but Rio De Janeiro has a chance to steal this opportunity from Chicago

I hope it will not be Chicago. With all the visa restrictions and inland security stuff, US is not really a visitor friendly country. Many would be sport spectators will be put off by this.

I'd like to see Rio. The US has hosted the Olympic games in '84, '96, and the '02 Winter Olympics. It's time for the IOC to spread the love and choose Rio and give South America it's first Olympic Games.

But I have a sneaky suspicion that the host city has already been chosen and what they are going through now are the formalities. Perhaps Obama knew beforehand that Chicago was the select city otherwise he wouldn't have gone there for just a few hours, make his pitch and then leave. I really think they are playing with us.

But go Rio!!! Yes You Can!

I'd like to see Rio. The US has hosted the Olympic games in '84, '96, and the '02 Winter Olympics. It's time for the IOC to spread the love and choose Rio and give South America it's first Olympic Games.

But I have a sneaky suspicion that the host city has already been chosen and what they are going through now are the formalities. Perhaps Obama knew beforehand that Chicago was the select city otherwise he wouldn't have gone there for just a few hours, make his pitch and then leave. I really think they are playing with us.

You have a point there!

I wish Rio could be the Host but the problem is im not included in the voting cabinet.

I wish Rio could be the Host but the problem is im not included in the voting cabinet.

I think most people are rooting for Rio. It is such a beautiful city with super beautiful people.

And the IOC needs to have a balance in terms of hosts so that all parts of the world can have a shot at hosting the games. After 2016, pending a successful World Cup in South Africa, the next summer Olympic Games (2020) should in held there. Let's face it, SA is the only African country with the infrastructure to hold an even of such magnitude.

I think it is time for Rio. They are going to show the world South American taste of Olympics

You're 100% right on this. IMO the choice will be RDJ in 2016

I think most people are rooting for Rio. It is such a beautiful city with super beautiful people.

And the IOC needs to have a balance in terms of hosts so that all parts of the world can have a shot at hosting the games. After 2016, pending a successful World Cup in South Africa, the next summer Olympic Games (2020) should in held there. Let's face it, SA is the only African country with the infrastructure to hold an even of such magnitude.

beautiful people/ladies ndo mi inanipa raha ntadunduliza hela niende mweee

That's what my gut feeling is telling me and I hope it's true. It's about time the South Americans, the beautiful Brazillians get their shot.

Jamaa washaanza kusherehekea ushindi ndani ya Copa Cabana,hii ni baada ya Chicago kutolewa

hureeeeeeeeeee Rio ,,,ngoja nianza mazoezi ya mbio ndefu labda ntachaguliwa kwenda kuiletea medani tanzania na nipate muda wa kuchekicheki

Jamaa washaanza kusherehekea ushindi ndani ya Copa Cabana,hii ni baada ya Chicago kutolewa

Duh! Chicago hoi bin taaban! Hakuna cha Obama, Michelle, Jordan, wala Oprah....Lol..

Ila Obama naye sijui alienda kutafuta nini. Angemwachia tu mkewe na akina Oprah....Lol

Duh! Chicago hoi bin taaban! Hakuna cha Obama, Michelle, Jordan, wala Oprah....Lol..

Ila Obama naye sijui alienda kutafuta nini. Angemwachia tu mkewe na akina Oprah....Lol

Dah,noma kweli,jamaa wanarudi mikono mitupu,AIBU...Hope wameumia sana