Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Iran oil ministry: Exports have been cut to Britain, France

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by MaxShimba, Feb 19, 2012.

1. MaxShimba

MaxShimba JF-Expert Member

Feb 19, 2012
    [​IMG]
    TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran has halted oil shipments to Britain and France, the Oil Ministry said Sunday, in an apparent pre-emptive blow against the European Union after the bloc imposed sanctions on Iran's crucial fuel exports.

The EU imposed tough sanctions against Iran last month, which included a freeze of the country's central bank assets and an oil embargo set to begin in July. Iran's Oil Minister Rostam Qassemi had warned earlier this month that Tehran could cut off oil exports to "hostile" European nations. The 27-nation EU accounts for about 18 percent of Iran's oil exports.

My Take:
    If there was going to be sanctions and an embargo against Iran, wouldn't that have meant France and England were not going to buy oil from them anyways?? What did this accomplish for Iran?? It seems that Iran just did the international version of " You can't fire me, I quit!!"

2. MaxShimba

MaxShimba JF-Expert Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Who cares. Iran will be left with two major customers who buy there oil, which will be China and India, and both countries will demand a huge discount. So, Iran will make way too little money to run the country.

3. Richard

Richard JF-Expert Member

Feb 19, 2012
    We don't need another war in middle east. As all these measures of sanctions and EU's oil embargo are more provocative and they are aimed at goading Iran into responding, rather than easing tensions.

It is only then when Iran will decide to close Strait of Hormuz- the vital waterway which would be “a red line” act leading to war.