I'm not afraid of prison, Besigye tells Museveni

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
The Inter-Party Cooperation presidential flag bearer, Dr Kizza Besigye, has said he will not give up the struggle to topple President Museveni, even if the incumbent forges cases against him.

Dr Besigye labelled President Museveni 'the king of cowards', who only depends on intimidating people when it is time for the competition. "Museveni is a coward and weak person who does not want to compete with a free man but wants to compete with a prisoner," he said at a rally in Kotido District yesterday.

"Instead of telling the country what he has done in the last 25 years of his government and what he will do next time, he is moving around telling people that he will arrest me."

Dr Besigye was reacting to a story published by Daily Monitor on Wednesday where President Museveni vowed to arrest him if he announced his own results.

The President also described Dr Besigye, who is running against him in a third consecutive race, as a 'comedian'.

"It is just comedy; no one should take him seriousLY," Mr Museveni said at a press conference in Jinja on Tuesday. But Dr Besigye advised President Museveni to come up with another threat other than prison if the incumbent is to deter the IPC from setting up their own tally centre and declaring their own election results.

"Mr Museveni should know that I am not afraid of prison. I will continue fighting for the liberation of Uganda, prison or no prison," he said.

Dr Besigye insisted that ballots are cast, counted and declared at the polling stations, adding that what IPC will be doing is to repeat what will have been declared.

Back
Top Bottom