Im Just Curious.The School you attended has Nothing to do with your current career performance.

Ngo

JF-Expert Member
May 25, 2010
I have seen so many posts where few members tried to convice the readers that their
schools/Universities are better than of the others. On this post i would like to ask you guys...
What role does the school you attended has played in your career performance? This can be in
terms of salary increase, promotion, new job offers, etc. How do you compare yourself with your
peers who attended different schools?.

In addition, if you have ample time download or read the attached article to refresh your mind
on how CEOs educational background has nothing to do with firm financial performance.

Attachments

• CEOs Educational Background and Firm Financial Performance.pdf
    545.1 KB · Views: 50
To some employers, alumni can be something they will have an interest in. It may look as a stereotype(?) or something of that kind, people tend to expect something different from people who have gone thru a certain school/college with reputation of being good, so to speak.

Mkuu hapo una wazo zuri,lakini angalia mawazo yangu.

In the course of your psychological development your background plays a great role.

The most important stages that might affect your career perfomance are childhood & adolescence .The environment shapes u in different ways.

The way u see yourself ,your aspiration and the way u see your world etc.

Psychologically speaking everyone is unique, and that uniquiness is caused by the way you were shaped in which ur environment and formation of your brain(anatomical, physiological and psychological contents)are determining factors

"Tell me who is ur friend and I will tell u who u are"-------this generalization works but not always,mind u.

To some employers, alumni can be something they will have an interest in. It may look as a stereotype(?) or something of that kind, people tend to expect something different from people who have gone thru a certain school/college with reputation of being good, so to speak.

From your pespectives, do you think the red area always meet employers' expectations? In your working area I hope you have come accross with individulas who attended low ranked schools but they are good at work and they know their stuffs. What arguments are you making to those individuals?

From my understanding I know that higher performer are hard workers, they take initiatives, they are self motivated, they don't fear for failures, they have great attitude with their job and they give respect to others, just to mention the few . Do you think those attributes are so special to only those big name schools?

Gajungi;Mkuu hapo una wazo zuri,lakini angalia mawazo yangu.

In the course of your psychological development your background plays a great role(What do you mean?)

The most important stages that might affect your career perfomance are childhood & adolescence .The environment shapes u in different ways.

Psychologically speaking everyone is unique (Regardless of the school you attended?), and that uniquiness is caused by the way you were shaped in which ur environment and formation of your brain(anatomical, physiological and psychological contents)are determining factors

"Tell me who is ur friend and I will tell u who u are"-------this generalization works but not always,mind u.

Ngo, I don't usually take part in "which school/university is better" debates but I want to point out that being a graduate of a more selective( "better" as you put it) school/university does have its pros. While it is also true that graduates from less selective schools can sometimes outperform those from more selective ones, that's more of an exception than a rule. At the risk of sounding like I'm blowing my own trumpet and going out on a limb, I've been through some of the most selective schools and universities and it sure has its perks.

As for the paper that you have uploaded, the authors are looking at the relationship between the CEO's educational background and firm financial performance. The keyword here is CEO. You should note that for a person to be promoted to CEO, they have to be really good at whatever they do. So when you find a CEO from a less selective school/university, they are obviously the exception to the rule and their performance will be on a par with that of their counterparts from more selective schools.

Equally noteworthy is the fact that firms are not run by a single person and looking at educational background of the CEO only may not provide reliable results as you may have a CEO from a less selective school being backed up by tens of graduates from more selective schools.

That should do for now, I advise you to read the paper again.

Gajungi;Mkuu hapo una wazo zuri,lakini angalia mawazo yangu.

In the course of your psychological development your background plays a great role(What do you mean?)

Psychologically speaking everyone is unique (Regardless of the school you attended?), and that uniquiness is caused by the way you were shaped in which ur environment and formation of your brain(anatomical, physiological and psychological contents)are determining factors

your background plays a great role ============= Your past has something to do with your present.

everyone s unique (Regardless of the school you attended?)====== Please try to scrutinaze the words that follow after (everyone is unique )

I have seen so many posts where few members tried to convice the readers that their
schools/Universities are better than of the others. On this post i would like to ask you guys...
What role does the school you attended has played in your career performance? This can be in
terms of salary increase, promotion, new job offers, etc. How do you compare yourself with your
peers who attended different schools?.

In addition, if you have ample time download or read the attached article to refresh your mind
on how CEOs educational background has nothing to do with firm financial performance.

Shule peke yake sio rahisi!

Firstly lets not deny that some universities ( and even lower schools ) are better than others. It could be in areas such as physical facilities and the calibre of teaching staff. When a graduate from a university is employed, especially for the first time, s/he is mainly supposed to employ the basic knowledge that s/he got from the university. Think about the work performed by newly employed doctors, lawyers, accountants, teachers, etc.

The article assumes that all universities at least provide the same basic knowledge to its students. Where this is the case one should expect that few years after employment students who are more intelligent will be able to perform above average irrespective of the university they attended. We see this happen even in universities. Students from very good secondary schools tend to perform very well in the first few semesters and then their performance goes down as more intelligent students from schools which were not very well endowed but provided the basic education pick up. Remember that due to financial constraints very few students can afford to go to top schools or universities.

The article talks about CEOs. To a great extent I do agree that not all CEOs from Ivy League universities will always perform better than those from other universities. To me, CEOs are basically entrepreuners. They take risks on behalf of their organisations. The prospensity to take risk differs across individuals and in many ways is independent of the school you attended, provided that school provided basic knowledge. What I want to say here is that CEOs take informed risks. They can be helped by the knowledge they got from their university education but in most cases would rely on knowledge of those around them - people (subordinates and otherwise) and other external sources of information. Performance of the CEO will to a greater depend on how s/he utilizes these other resources, not his university education, allthough a good university would have provided basic knowledge on how to utilize these other resources.