Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

I want to climb Kilimanjaro before I die: Bill Clinton

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Ng'wanza Madaso, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Ng'wanza Madaso

Ng'wanza Madaso JF-Expert Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I want to climb Kilimanjaro before I die: Bill Clinton

AFP/File – The ice cap in Africa's highest mountain, Mt. Kilimanjaro, seen here in 2009. At the age of 63, former …

Mon Jul 19, 7:23 am ET
    VIENNA (AFP) – At the age of 63, former US president says he has one more mountain to climb before he dies -- and that's Kilimanjaro, the highest peak in Africa.

Clinton revealed the secret goal -- along with his dream of running a marathon -- while in reflective mood at the 18th International AIDS Conference, where he made the keynote speech on Monday.

He explained that one of his favourite movies was "The Bucket List," a 2007 film in which two terminally ill men, played by Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson, draw up a list of things they wish to do before they die, and then travel around the world to do just that.

"I'll soon be 64, so I think I'm old enough to join Jack and Morgan in making a bucket list, but I have an A list and a B list, and the B list would be fun to do but doesn't amount to a hill of beans whether I get to do it or not," said Clinton.

"I'd like to climb Kilimanjaro before the snows melt, I'd like to run a marathon before I give out, there's lots of things I'd like to do but it doesn't really matter whether I do them."

Clinton said his "A" list was far more important than his "B" list..

"What I'd really like to do if I could have my wishes, I would like to live to see my own grandchildren.

"And I'd like to live to know that all the grandchildren of the world will have the chance in the not too distant future to live their own dreams and not die before their time."

Located in northern Tanzania, Mount Kilimanjaro, 5,963 metres (19,563 feet) high, draws thousands of hikers a year to its long but relatively gentle slopes. Walkers stay in camps at several phases on the climb before ascending the final stage at night to enjoy the view of the African plains at dawn from the peak.

In 2009 a US study warned that the snows capping Kilimanjaro could vanish altogether in 20 years, most likely due to global warming.

A veteran campaigner who has attended every International AIDS Conference since 2002 -- this is the fifth since then -- Clinton quipped that he relished the ability to speak freely since leaving office, despite the downside of being an ex-president.

"That's the great thing about not being president anymore, I can say whatever I want," he said.

He then added to a swell of laughter from the audience: "Of course, nobody cares what I say anymore, but I can say it!"
  2. M

Malila JF-Expert Member

Jul 21, 2010
    good idea, I will be there to give you a company!!!!!!!:hug:
  3. G

Geza Ulole JF-Expert Member

Jul 21, 2010
    The red line is enough marketing that individuals like Smatta and Nomasana will be guppling saliva! I don't think they will ever be pleased with that coverage, financial post has it also check it here Bill Clinton wants to climb Kilimanjaro my lord grant your wish Mr President!
  4. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Jul 21, 2010
    furb.. Nkt..
  5. G

Geza Ulole JF-Expert Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Smatta what did you mean by furb...Nkt is that all you can say? write sth man
  6. N

Nyauba JF-Expert Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Can Tanzania Govt use it as a marketing strattegy of our mountain and other abundant natural rsources to accelerate the growth of tourism sector?????

for Kenyans this is more than enough hyping in running features, columns, articles etc in their daily paper and electronic media!!!!!

Tz Lets wake up!!!!
  7. Wacha1

Wacha1 JF-Expert Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Uongo na ulaghai kwamba Mt. Kilimanjaro uko Kenya au Serengeti ipo Kenya na ni sawa na masai Mara umekwisha kutokana na technologia mpya ya Internet etc. Fisi amekosa mkono wa binadamu. Mtu yeyote mwenye akili timamu anafahamu ukweli kwamba Kenya aka nyang'aus ulongo wao kwishnei.

Sisi watanzania walipa kodi ndio wenye nchi hawa wapita njia na wakimbizi ambao hawawezi hata kurudi makwao wasiwababaishe, Chama Cha Majambazi ambacho kimewakumbatia mafisadi kiko njiani kwenda kaburini na hao vizabina zabina wao tutawashughulikia moja baada ya mwingine. Vimada wote tutawarudisha makwao.
  8. Saharavoice

Saharavoice JF-Expert Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Hii inaweza kuwa kampeni nzuri kwa ile kura ya maajabu saba ya dunia.
  9. A

Audax JF-Expert Member

Jul 21, 2010
    karibu Tanzania mheshimiwa
  10. G

Genda Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Habari hii si new thread...ilitundikwa mapema na Estmeed Reader wa 19th July 2010 10:50 PM!
  11. KiuyaJibu

KiuyaJibu JF-Expert Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Kumbe tuko wengi,nilidhania niko pekee yangu.