Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

How Straka's wedding flopped

Discussion in 'Celebrities Forum' started by ByaseL, Dec 10, 2009.

1. B

ByaseL JF-Expert Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Rafsanjan A. Tatya

The path to marriage doesn’t always run smoothly - and for Straka Mwezi, it has been one rough beginning.

The WBS TV presenter, real names Pamela Otim, is admitted at Senta Medicare in Namasuba after she collapsed on her “wedding” day.

Straka fainted and was rushed to hospital following a flopped commercial wedding with boyfriend Caesar Kayemba in Namboole Stadium on Sunday.

The Late Show host was on her way to making history by being the first person in Uganda to charge people to a wedding ceremony. A number of local artistes including Bebe Cool, Jose Chameleone and Bobi Wine had been selected to perform, with a standard ticket to the wedding dubbed Embaga Y’abantu (people’s wedding) going for Shs10,000 whilst VIPs had to part with Shs20,000.

Straka, who was hiding in her car, monitored the situation outside the stadium from 3pm when the gates opened.

By 7:30pm just a handful had turned up and when Kayemba learnt of the situation at the venue he switched off his phone.

The wedding cake was removed and people got served samosas and cassava at around 11pm as the emcee kept promising that the bride and the groom were on their way.

Heartless, breathless
    Straka tried pleading with Kayemba, using his friend’s phone number, to come to the venue, in vain and she fainted shortly after.

She was driven all the way from Namboole to Namasuba leaving her organising crew under fire as the audience demanded for a refund for what they called a “faked” wedding.

Although none of the couple’s friends knew where the church service was taking place, Straka kept insisting that she was getting married to Kayemba and asked people to go to Namboole in big numbers.

In an interview with KFM, two days to the event, Straka said: “The wedding is for real, I’m happy that I have someone who loves me. People should come and we celebrate together as I officially show them who is going to be my children’s father.”

Straka was previously engaged to artiste Kid Fox before leaving him and dating former workmate Charles Oimuke with whom she has a child, but they separated a few years ago. It was at the beginning of this year that she introduced Kayemba to the public as her fiancé.

She started talking about her wedding with Kayemba as early as March. The wedding was first scheduled for May but she pushed the date forward due to lack of funds.

Straka also started looking for sponsors for the “wedding” in vain. She even wrote proposals to different companies including the leading telecommunication companies promising publicity in return for the sponsorship package.

No company bought her idea but her employers, WBS TV gave her sponsorship in form of airtime through adverts and mentions during different shows.

Straka knows a thing or two about show flops -- she has had four shows flopping in a space of two years and has been chased by debt collectors over unpaid loans.

The disappointments aside, the big question is: Will Straka Mwezi be able to present Late Show on WBS TV tonight?