Help needed for Dissertation Topic!!!

Sandra

Feb 5, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I'm a Master of Science student majoring in Investments and Finance.

I would like to get advise from people who work in the field in order to get some ideas about my dissertation topic as I understand it is vital to choose the right topic with respect to future employability. I'm looking for a challenging up-to-date finance topic which will give me an advantage on the job market.

Many thanks,

Sandra...

Why can't you discuss this with your superviser (if already have), cause the topic you gonna choose should be very understandable to you so that is easy to work on!

Regarding the marketability re. upon completion of your MSC, this will only depend on the Global market of MSC Finance not just on you desertation! So to me, if MSC Fin, is not marketable as whole don't expect the choose good topic to give you market!

After all I believe any course that someone can choose for a diploma,degree, masters etc I believe is marketable depending on how well he /she has performed. If the performance is excellent, then he/she will be more competent in the market on that matter and vice versa is true.

Hi Everyone,

I would like to get advise from people who work in the field in order to get some ideas about my dissertation topic as I understand it is vital to choose the right topic with respect to future employability. I'm looking for a challenging up-to-date finance topic which will give me an advantage on the job market.

Many thanks,

Sandra...

Inategemea hupo wapi. Lakini kama huko katika Marekani, UK na nchi zilizoathirika na matatizo ya sasa ya kiuchumi, unaweza kuangalia impacts ya subprime mortgage investments in current financial crisis.

Inategemea hupo wapi. Lakini kama huko katika Marekani, UK na nchi zilizoathirika na matatizo ya sasa ya kiuchumi, unaweza kuangalia impacts ya subprime mortgage investments in current financial crisis.

Ditto,

Unaweza pia kuangalia umakini wa rating agencies, na role ya agencies kama vile FDIC (Marekani)

Kama uko nchi zinazoendelea au unapanga kufanya kazi kuhusiana na nchi zinazoendela unaweza kuangalia issues zilizokuwa tailored zaidi kwa nchi hizo, kama vile kwa nini stock markets za nchi hizi zinadumaa (mfano Tanzania) na ni kweli maendeleo ya nchi hizi yako katika level ya kufanya stock market iwe meaningful? Tanzania should be a good example if this is chosen.

Kuhusu matatizo ya sasa George Soros, Paul Krugman na Kevin Phillips wana vitabu vizuri vinavyoelezea matatizo haya kwa undani, hususan kutoka kwa mtazamo wa Kimarekani.

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks,

Sandra...
Mkuu sitokuhoji nakupa title moja, usipoipenda, sema tu, nitakutungia nyingine:

"The Delayed Trickle-Down Effect Of The Global Credit Crunch (Impact) To African Countries (Tz): Advantages and disadvantages"

Good luck!

SteveD.

Try this one: "Quantitative easing, is it a cure or a sign of a failing economy" A Case study of USA and Zimbabwe.

Ngabu Economics: Is it the solution to the current and future credit crunches?

I have a different opinion, a smart student would not seek for a topic of MSc in JF!! am afraid once you have the topic you will come again and ask for methodologies, then analysis thereafter discussion etc etc, liase with your supervisor!! usiwe kilaza kutaka kutafuniwa kila kitu...think hard afterall its your Masters

I have a different opinion, a smart student would not seek for a topic of MSc in JF!! am afraid once you have the topic you will come again and ask for methodologies, then analysis thereafter discussion etc etc, liase with your supervisor!! usiwe kilaza kutaka kutafuniwa kila kitu...think hard afterall its your Masters

Hear! Hear! You hit the nail right on the head!

Hi all,

For those with positive feedback and good suggestions that have truly ignited the brainstorming process of my topic choice I want to say thank you for your useful contributions. As for those who have criticized my decision, the aim was and is not to find short cuts in my Masters but rather to engage African great thinkers.

I am studying in the UK and while the current financial crisis is very relevant, I feel that it has been exhausted as a topic. It is also very likely that about half the stream would be pursuing the same topic. However, I have found some of the ideas suggested quite interesting because little has been said of the effects to the developing economies especially in Africa.

The second aim was to ascertain what other interesting topics besides the credit crunch are brewing in Tanzania.

Supervisors have not been assigned yet as they are chosen on the basis of our proposals and the corresponding experience of the lecturers in such topics.

Thanks for bearing with me so far.

from my 'little' understanding its true that among other methods of obtaining a good title is BRAINSTORMING as well as asking from friends and colegues.So why not help?!?Is it conclusive that because its his/her masters then it will subjectively help him/herself?This kind of analysis is fatal.Also saying that he/she ll later come for methodologies etc is overassuming which my cloud our thinking/reasoning.
If someone can help then its ok,if its difficult for you to help then just chill out.It ll not harm anyone.
BTW:its my opinion!

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks,

Sandra...

Sandra,
Under normal circumstances, a Masters programme (by coursework and dissertation), the coursework part should have ignited you to generate an excellent research topic! However, on your part, it has not been the case,.. and to my opinion therefore, I do not think if you are academically weak, but apparently you must be! Try to work out some of your unnessary academic weaknesses and replace them with you ignored, hidden academic strengths!

Well: I believe any research comes from the area of interest of a researcher and the area of interest of a researcher comes from within. Logically, we start with defining a research problem and not a research title...be very carefully.

1. You can visit this blog (bonyeza hapo chini)
Financial Crisis | (EN) Africa Can
maintained by Dr. Shanta Devarajan, The Chief Economist of the African Region at the World Bank. Kwa muda mrefu sasa anajadili Financial Crisis and Africa kwa kutoa mifano ya nchi mbalimbali na pia anajadili mambo mbalimbali kama Financial Aid, Economic Policy and Debt, FDI, Finance and Private Sector Developement etc.

2. Also you can visit (bonyeza hapo chini)
Working Paper Series - Africa Region - The World Bank
Hii ni website ya World bank Group na inahusiana na African Region Working Paper Series. Huku kuna pepa nyingi sana na ni free downloadable. Kuna pepa za uchumi na finance pia.

3. Ukitaka data ambazo zimeshakusanywa na watu/vyuo/mashirika mbalimbali na unaweza kutumia kwa research fungua website hizo hapo chini. Kuna data base za finance na economics lakini pia nimeweka database za mambo mengine kama siasa, geography etc kwa watu/wanafunzi wengine. Kwa hiyo tazama inayokufaa.

a) World Development Indicators: (bonyeza hapo chini)
http://devdata.worldbank.org/dataonline/ (IP subscription).

(For some odd reason, the World Bank does not provide easy access to the
detailed definition of WDI variables on its database site! You need to go to
the bottom of the "Help" page and click on the link to "WDI 2006 book - full
text" or http://devdata.worldbank.org/wdi2006/contents/cover.htmWorld Development Indicators 2006. The tables
in the full text have links to variables definitions. Index of indicators
also provides links to those tables and definitions,
World Development Indicators 2006.)

b) Penn World Tables: (copy website)pwt.econ.upenn.edu/Downloads/index.htm.

c) The Quality of Government Dataset, (bonyeza hapo chini)
The Quality of Government Institute, an excellent and
extended collection of data on institutions from various sources.

d) International Financial Statistics: (copy website)
ifs.apdi.net/imf/ifsbrowser.aspx?branch=ROOT (IP subscription).

e) Barro-Lee (2000) education data set: (bonyeza hapo chini)
Research Datasets :: CID Data :: Center for International Development at Harvard University (CID).

f) Geography, Diseases, and Sach-Warner Openness Datasets: (bonyeza hapo chini)
Research Datasets :: CID Data :: Center for International Development at Harvard University (CID).

g) Database of Political Institutions: (bonyeza hapo chini)
Energy Old - Renewable Energy for Development.

h) International Country Risk Guide Dataset (ICRG): Proprietary (bonyeza hapo chini)
http://www.lib.unc.edu/blogs/eresea...-country-risk-guide-icrg-researchers-dataset/

i) Heritage Foundation's *Index of Economic Freedom*: (copy website)
www.heritage.org/research/features/index/.

j) Freedom House Country Ratings of Political Rights and Civil Liberties: (copy website)
www.freedomhouse.org/ratings/index.htm.

k) Political Regime Characteristics and Transitions (Polity IV): (copy website)
CIDCM | Polity IV.

l) Fractionalization Dataset (Alesina et al.): (copy website)
stanford.edu/~wacziarg/papersum.html
<http://www.stanford.edu/~wacziarg/papersum.html
>

m) Political Particularism Around the World (copy website)
<http://www.stanford.edu/%7Ejseddon/ParticularismWB.pdf>(Wallack
et al,):

n) (copy website) http://www.stanford.edu/~jseddon/public2001_1.zip
<http://www.stanford.edu/%7Ejseddon/public2001_1.zip>

o) Courts and Judicial Efficiency (Lex Mundi Dataset): (copy website)www.iicg.som.yale.edu/.

p) Legal Origins and Religious Affiliations (La Porta et al.): (copy website)
post.economics.harvard.edu/faculty/shleifer/papers/qualgov.pdf.**

kiasi nakubaliana nawe ila si kila kitu. at any level you can either choose the topic yourself from your own sources but sometimes you have to choose from given titles(that have been suggested by your supervisor). kwa hiyo tumpe titles then atachagua anazofikiri anaweza kufanya within the time limit and limited resources ! kisha wataongea na supervisor wake then ataendelea na dissertation. hadi hapo sioni ubaya wowote.

sasa kama baada ya hapo ataendelea kuomba msaada aandikeje abstact, etc, etc then tutajua kwamba hayuko serious na anataka tu checti na hapo ni vizuri kumpiga chini tusijetengeneza vihiyo zaidi.

so far tumsaidie.

Jaribu hii:

Financial Meltdown and Investments Collapses" An Application of Global Vector Autoregressive Modelling.

Masanilo na wenzako

Msilete elimu ya kibongobongo hapa. Kina mtu ana njia zake za kujifunza na kila mtu anapata inspiration kwa njia zake tofauti.

Alichotaka yeye ni topic au title. Na research nyingi title unayoanzia sio hile unayokuja kumalizia.

Kama una title mpe kama huna get out of the way.

Sijuhi ulipo ila kama upo Tanzania, jaribu Lease and Finance Models for Commercial Beekeeping. Maana hakuna Financial packages tailored for agriculture and livestock development. Naamini NMB watakusupport ukija na model inayokubalika. Tanzania imepitisha Lease and Finance Act 2008

Sandra,
Under normal circumstances, a Masters programme (by coursework and dissertation), the coursework part should have ignited you to generate an excellent research topic! However, on your part, it has not been the case,.. and to my opinion therefore, I do not think if you are academically weak, but apparently you must be! Try to work out some of your unnessary academic weaknesses and replace them with you ignored, hidden academic strengths!

Hapa mzee haupo sahihi. Course work ni curriculum iliyopangwa tayari kabla ya programme haijaanza. Lakini kuna matukio yanayotokea wakati program ikiendelea na ambayo yanatakiwa kufanyiwa schoolarly work.

Ukiangalia topics nyingi zilizotolewa hapa zinahusiana sana na financial crisis iliyokuja. Hii crisis haiko kwenye mitaala ya shule.

hi everyone,

i'm a master of science student majoring in investments and finance.

I would like to get advise from people who work in the field in order to get some ideas about my dissertation topic as i understand it is vital to choose the right topic with respect to future employability. I'm looking for a challenging up-to-date finance topic which will give me an advantage on the job market.

Many thanks,

sandra...

if i were sandra though im not i would focus on the current financial crisis as related and its impact in the developing countries especially the middle class and poor people...case study in tanzania