HELP: BIOS Update

Cowboy

Sep 23, 2010
I recently changed the OS of My Acer Aspire One D255E Notebook from Win7 Starter to Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit.
Ever since I can't connect my pc to the internet via cable and the from the driver manager, it shows that Ethernet Controller is missing.
I have tried to download the network drivers from the manufacturers website with no success and I read somewhere that updating/ flashing the BIOS may help with the problem.
Now I was wondering if is there any thing else I can do before I resort to that last option which comes with so many risk.
I'd also appreciate if someone can tell me the easiest way of doing so!

I recently changed the OS of My Acer Aspire One D255E Notebook from Win7 Starter to Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit.
Ever since I can't connect my pc to the internet via cable and the from the driver manager, it shows that Ethernet Controller is missing.
I have tried to download the network drivers from the manufacturers website with no success and I read somewhere that updating/ flashing the BIOS may help with the problem.
Now I was wondering if is there any thing else I can do before I resort to that last option which comes with so many risk.
I'd also appreciate if someone can tell me the easiest way of doing so!

Unless u re advanced computer user I advice you not to rush to do BIOS update . You might end up having a toy Acer aspire laptop .BIOS update can be and is actually risky .

What u need is just a correct driver . And if with Window 7 starter the same drive was working OK then the prorblem is not caused by outdated BIOS. Its just u re instaling incorrect driver. OS some driver setting like drive ID or interupt hadling for driver need manual adjustment.

I
From manufacure website it seem that the vendor of your Netbook- LAN driver is Atheros. There are two versions available . Version 1.0.0.35 dated 12/23/2010 and version 1.0.0.40 dated of 07/30/2010. Have you tried both of them? If yes what specific error message is displaying.?

II

altenatvely visit this unoaffical atheros web page and try some of their patched LAN driver depending on you meodel

And tell us what is that last- resort-option wich comes with many Risk?

Thank you so much ZING.
The link you suggested were quite helpful and I've installed the drivers and now I'm good to go; no need of updating any BIOS.
Thank you again!!:poa

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom