Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Have/will you change your name after marriage?

Discussion in 'Mahusiano, mapenzi, urafiki' started by nyumba kubwa, May 15, 2011.

1. nyumba kubwa

nyumba kubwa JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    provided by
    [​IMG]
    More women are taking their new husbands' names after marriage, research shows. But the decision continues to spark debate and confusion.

More from Yahoo! Finance:

• Gas Saving Tips That Don't Actually Work

• World's Most Expensive Items

• Cost of Everyday Food Items: Now and Then
    Visit the Family & Home Center

The trend toward women keeping their maiden names after marriage peaked in the 1990s, when about 23% of women did so, then eased gradually to about 18% in the 2000s, says a 35-year-study published in 2009 in the journal Social Behavior and Personality. And increasingly, studies show women's decisions on the issue are guided by factors other than political or religious ideas about women's rights or marital roles, as often believed.
    Well-educated women in high-earning occupations are significantly more likely to keep their maiden names, the study shows. Brides in professional fields such as medicine, the arts or entertainment are the most likely of all to do so. Age makes a big difference too, according to a 2010 study in a scholarly journal entitled "Names: A Journal of Onomastics." Women who married when they were 35 to 39 years old were 6.4 times more likely to keep their names than women who married between the ages of 20 and 24.

[​IMG]
    ©AP

In fact, the idea that women who keep their maiden names are better breadwinners is becoming a stereotype that some people use as a basis for judging women's ability. In a Dutch study published last year in the journal Basic and Applied Social Psychology, researchers had 90 students compare hypothetical women they had met at a party based on whether they took their husband's names. Those who did were judged as more caring, dependent and emotional, while those who kept their names were seen as smarter and more ambitious.
    [More from WSJ.com: Job Offer? Ask My Spouse]
    Researchers also asked 50 students to screen e-mails containing hypothetical job applications from women. The candidates who had kept their maiden names were more likely to be hired and were offered salaries averaging 40% higher than their name-changing peers. (Among limitations of the study, the sample was made up of students who probably lacked much job experience or other criteria upon which to base their judgments.)
    Either way, picking a last name can be fraught with complications. Some women lie awake nights before their weddings trying to decide what to do. For women who change their minds later, some vendors even offer "name change kits." Still, changing your name mid-career, as some of my colleagues have done, can lead to confusion among co-workers, clients or in my profession, readers and sources.
    [More from WSJ.com: Why You Work More, Enjoy It Less]
    Splitting the difference by keeping both names, as many women do, "is a recipe for confusion," one woman writes in an email. She kept her maiden name professionally but uses her married name sometimes outside work. Now, "I never know how to introduce myself," she says. Her driver's license bears one name and her voter registration the other, and she receives summonses for jury duty in both names.
    My Juggle colleague Rachel also uses two different names -- her maiden name professionally and her married name personally and officially -- which can lead to lots of mixups, she says. "Readers and colleagues know me by one name and the HR department, friends and the IRS know me by another," she tells me. "I didn't want to give up my byline, which I've had for many years. But changing my name was important to my husband for a lot of reasons, and ultimately we wanted our family members to all have the same name."
    [More from WSJ.com: In Job Hunting, Honesty is Still the Best Policy]
    Readers, how have you handled this decision in your marriage? What kind of reactions to your decision have you received from other people? Has keeping your maiden name or changing your name been a hassle for you? Have any of you changed your names mid-career?
    ___

2. nyumba kubwa

nyumba kubwa JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    I didn't and after reading this article am proud of my decision!

3. Lizzy

Lizzy JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    Ikitokea nikakubali kufungwa pingu sitabadilisha jina langu....

Kuna mama nilimsikia akisema yeye ameshaolewa mara nne...natamani kujua kama anatumia jina lake au anabadilisha kila akiolewa!!!

4. Michelle

Michelle JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    Pamoja kwenye hili dearest!!! sioni sababu yeyote ya maana ya kubadilisha jina langu....!!

5. BAK

BAK JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    Traditionally, the woman will take the man's last name, so this would indeed involve a legal name change. However, it is not required, and in recently years more and more women are keeping their maiden names....IMO it is not big deal whether you change your last name or not.

6. Michelle

May 15, 2011
    IMO....it is a big deal to most men....l.o.l.....:dance::dance::dance:

7. Mbu

Mbu JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    ...mnh, ok...kwa hiyo kwenye official letters atatambulikaje? Ms Fulani, au Mrs fulani?
    All in all, binafsi sipendelei wale ambao weshatalikiana halafu mke anaendelea kutumia
    Surname ya ex- husband wake.

8. FaizaFoxy

FaizaFoxy JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    Waislaam hatuna tatizo hilo hubaki na majina na nasaba zetu, labda kwa wajinga wachache wanaoona kubadili jina ni maendeleo. Nashanga!

Kwani kuolewa ni utumwa hata ubadili nasaba yako? Sioni sababu yoyote ya maana ya kubadili jina, mkataa asili ni mtumwa.

9. pauline

pauline JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    mama yangu tangia aachike jina la baba linamboa ila ndo hajui afanyaje nalo...lol,i guess ukiwa mapenzini unafanya vitu baadae unajutia.....mie nitabaki na kwangu incase na mie nikiachika sitabaki na kitu kinachoniboa lol,hivi unafanyaje ukiachika??? unaona wanasheria ubadilishe au?

10. Lizzy

Lizzy JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    Unarudia la kwako...ukiolewa tena mapenzi yanakuchanganya unachukua jina la mume...mkiachana unalikataa tena!!!Bora tu kubaki na jina lako ili mambo yakienda ndivyo sivyo unajiondokea tu bila mzigo wa jina la watu!!!

11. BAK

BAK JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    Hahahahahah lol!...labda wale wa mwaka 47! :)

12. Michelle

May 15, 2011
    ha ha ha haaaaa,ina maana BAK mimi na usichana wangu nakutana na wanaume wa miaka 47? manake nimetoa experience yangu....kuwa wanapenda wake zao watumie majina yao....!!! nitake radhi yaishe.....l.o.l
    On a serious note: hata vijana tu in their 20's,30's and 40's..majority wangependa wake zao watumie majina yao.

13. Maria Roza

Maria Roza JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    Maandiko yanasema utaachana na wazazi wako na utaambatana na mumeo......

Yaap nitabadilisha who cares??? coz si tumekuwa mwili mmoja na tunashea vitu vitamu ambavyo siwezi share na ndugu yangu au mzazi wangu :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

14. Lizzy

Lizzy JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    Alafu vitamu vikigeuka vichungu???

15. Maria Roza

Maria Roza JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    Mhh tutajua mbele ya safari nitameza au nitatema hahha:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

16. BAK

BAK JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    ...Kuna baadhi ya Waislamu ambao Wake huchukua majina ya mwisho ya Waume zao, pamoja na kuwa hili haliendani na taratibu za Kiislamu.

17. Lizzy

Lizzy JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    Mapenzi kizunguzungu....

18. Uda'a

Uda'a JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    Mimi nimebadilisha,ka ndoa kangu ka miaka 3 na nlipenda nwenyewe ila tu huwa nasahau, wakat mwingine kama naandika mahali nakutuka nishaandika la zamani.

Tena wala sijutii kabisaaaaaa.
    Kama ntakuja kujuta ni baadae huko kama yakitokea YAKUTOKEA aaaaghhh yashindwe na kulegeaaaa hahhah

Sema shida kwenye mambo ya vyeti mimi mana nlibadilisha kabla ya chuo (elimu ya uzeeni) duhhh

19. Uda'a

Uda'a JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    Mapenzi hayana macho... mwe mwe mwe

20. BAK

BAK JF-Expert Member

May 15, 2011
    Uniwie radhi Michelle hahahahah lol! nilisahau kama Michelle bado ni msichana :) Ni kweli kabisa hata vijana wanapenda wake zao watumie majina yao lakini kwao wao harusi haitavunjika eti kisa "wife to be" amekataa kubadilisha jina lake la mwisho mara baada ya harusi...lakini kwa wale wa mwaka 47 Mhhhhh! pagumu hapo! ndoa inaweza kabbisa kuvunjika!

Sasa mke mtarajiwa, ndugu, marafiki na jamaa zake watakuwa tayari kuona harusi inavunjika kwa kubadilisha tu jina la mwisho?