Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Hamad Rashid likely to go for new party, not cross over

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by nngu007, Dec 17, 2011.

1. nngu007

nngu007 JF-Expert Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Published On: Sat, Dec 17th, 201

Published On: Sat, Dec 17th, 2011 Tanzania |

Wawi lawmaker Hamad Rashid Mohamed

Wawi lawmaker Hamad Rashid Mohamed has said if plots to fire him from the Civic United Front (CUF) succeed, he will go to court or set up another party.

Hamad, who is involved in a tag-of-war with the Civic United Front's secretary general, Seif Sharif Hamad said he does not contemplate to join another party.

"As I once remarked, I am not a political prostitute, and I shall continue to insist that I am not. I didn't leave Chama Cha Mapinduzi on my own wish. Me and Seif Sharif Hamad were sacked on May 13, 1988," he said.

He added: "I was highly persuaded to go back to the ruling party but I told them that they had fired me and we had already established another party. I also told them that I would remain in this new party until the last minute."

He said if CUF members would dismiss him, since they are the ones making the general council, he would only remain with two options.

Going to court is one, he said, adding that he would as well establish a new political party, but would not move to an already set up political grouping.

"If I resort to the latter choice, then I shall do so with new members. If we decide together we can do so, though I still believe that wisdom will prevail before reaching that stage," Hamad Rashid, once the leader of the opposition camp in Parliament said.

He said he received reports on Wednesday that CUF leaders were planning go to his constituency of Wawi, to tell the electorate that they want to use the party's branch procedures to sack him.

According to CUF constitution, a party member can be fired by a branch or the party's national governing council.

"They said in the report which I have a copy that they have already held a meeting and passed a declaration to fire me," he said.

The electorate at the branch said, according to the constitution they had not found him wrong, Hamad Rashid said in an interview with a local Television channel.

The interventions, he said, indicate that already some decisions to fire him had already been hatched.

He added that he had not been given a chance to defend himself against the allegations spread in the party branches and constituencies.

"These people are trying to build a false image of my personality…just go and ask them (Maalim Seif) if the party has ever written me or summoned me on this matter. They don't involve me in meetings and that is why some party members do not understand what is going on in the party," Hamad Rashid said.

Hamad Rashid said he has never fomented chaos in the party but rather stands for principles, insisting that he will continue to push for the party to be run as an institution.

"I would like to appeal to the CUF Secretary General to invite me for a meeting so that they can listen to my complaints," he noted.

Hamad Rashid further said that he once queried the party's expenditure for Igunga by-election but nobody ever responded.

He said it wasn't impossible for the party to use 307m/- for the campaign and another 49m/- to hire a chopper for three days.

According to him, he supported the party candidate in the past general elections with T-Shirts and 500,000/- only, and he managed to scoop 11,000 votes.

He blamed some top CUF leaders for the present state of the party, saying they are now conducting mudslinging campaigns against him promising to conduct a meeting with the press this morning.

On Tuesday, the CUF leadership warned Hamad Rashid that stern measures would be taken against him if he will continue to disobey the party's laid down rules and regulations in the course of executing his duties.

The warning came only a day after some members of the party split and engaged in a wrangle which saw a number of them being wounded and property destroyed.

The split grew following the current CUF secretary general and First Vice President of
    Zanzibar, Seif Sharif Hamad's announcement that he would vie for the former position for another term.

CUF deputy secretary general (Mainland) Julius Mtatiro unleashing the attacks against Hamad Rashid for organising meetings with party cadres said the lawmaker had no party's permit to do so.

Source The Guardian