Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Grant fumes over 'shameful' cancellation

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Edward Teller, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Edward Teller

Edward Teller JF-Expert Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Avram Grant has said that a friendly between his Partizan Belgrade side and Iranian club Sepahan was cancelled because he is Israeli.

[FONT=&amp]The two teams were meant play in Antalya, Turkey last week but the Iranians, who hail from the city of Isfahan in the Islamic Republic, pulled out of the match.
    [FONT=&amp]The Iranian government does not recognise Israel as a country and refers to its government as the 'Zionist regime'.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Former Chelsea and West Ham boss Grant, who took charge of Serbian side Partizan last month, called the decision "shameful".[/FONT]
    "I never mixed politics with sports," he said. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]"I had worked with many (Muslims) while I was in England, and I made friends with many of them." [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Grant said that he had been told 'unofficially' that he was the reason for the postponement. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]His club also said that they had to move their usual winter training camp in Emirate Dubai to Turkey because of Grant's Israeli citizenship.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]World Football - Grant fumes over 'shameful' cancellation [/FONT]