Giant-killing Royals strike again

Viper

JF-Expert Member
Dec 21, 2007
Everton 0 Reading 1: Giant-killing Royals strike again on Merseyside to KO Moyes's boys
It was difficult to detect what hurt David Moyes most last night: the pain of another embarrassing FA Cup exit or the brutal realisation that Everton are simply not good enough. This was the campaign when Everton were expected to really push on. Identified by Sir Alex Ferguson as being the dark horses for a Champions League spot, there was also a quiet feeling among the squad that they could turn promise into significant success. Not any longer.

article-1361933-0D6D815A000005DC-826_634x424.jpg

The boos that reverberated around a furious Goodison Park told their own story and Moyes' reaction to seeing Everton's FA Cup dream spirited away by an industrious Reading side was just as significant. 'I know there are situations where we are not good enough to win lots of games,' said Moyes.
'That is obvious and it is not going to go away in a few games. I think we have been doing better but we were short (against Reading) and there was always a chance that could happen.'

article-1361933-0D6D864A000005DC-594_634x381.jpg

Reading captain Matt Mills scored the only goal of a frantic clash, rifling in a loose ball from 12 yards midway through the first half and Moyes made no attempt to argue that the men from the Championship got everything they deserved.
'We had a great opportunity with a home tie after doing so well in the last round against Chelsea. So I'm disappointed. We just didn't play well enough to win the game. I actually thought we passed the ball quite well. The only problem was it backwards and sideways.'
article-1361933-0D6DA109000005DC-565_634x379.jpg

The night started in curious fashion as Everton striker Jermaine Beckford only arrived at Goodison three minutes before kick-off due to the closure of the M62 - he came on as a substitute for the second half - and it finished with Moyes ruling Marouane Fellaini out for the rest of the season. Fellaini requires ankle surgery, which he will have on Monday, while Tim Cahill will miss the next three weeks with a foot problem.

article-1361933-0D6D8891000005DC-131_634x443.jpg

Moyes added: 'Everybody who has watched us will tell you he (Fellaini) has been a key player for us and Tim Cahill will probably miss two or three weeks as well.'
How Everton respond to those huge setbacks will come down to how Moyes can galvanise players who have had the wind taken out of their sails.

article-1361933-0D6DA909000005DC-299_634x518.jpg

When they beat Chelsea in round four on penalties, there was a feeling within Everton's dressing room that a corner had been turned and they were ready to find a significant stride.
A comfortable victory over Sunderland at the weekend also suggested Everton were back on song, which is why it came as a huge surprise to see them being so laboured in a game of such importance.
Standing with his hands stuffed in his pockets, Moyes could scarcely believe what he was seeing. By contrast, Reading were excellent. Organised and determined, they fought ferociously to preserve their lead and the lunging tackle Mills made in injury time to thwart Mikel Arteta epitomised their efforts.
This was manager Brian McDermott's second big FA Cup win on Merseyside in the space of 14 months. Last year they knocked Liverpool out at Anfield in the third round and they now face either Aston Villa or Manchester City in the last eight.
'I didn't want to be clapped off at the end after we had been beaten 3-0,' said McDermott. 'But this is just fantastic. We had great shape, great desire and the workrate was phenomenal. The ovation we received at the end from the Everton fans will live with me a long time.'