Ghost Workers/Students and the cost to the tax-payer

kotinkarwak

JF-Expert Member
Aug 5, 2010
Following the recent drive by the government/Ministry of Education to try and eradicate/get a handle on the never-ending saga on ghost workers, I got to thinking how an ICT based system can/could be used to at least capture some of the info being sought by the government and form a basis on auditing and updating employment information for its staff members.
This is a very simplistic assumption of how the system works and would like for anyone familiar with the A-to-Z to please inform us.
The ministry makes payment (lump-sum) to provincial/district authorities for a given list of teaching staff members. Since there are several pay commitments being made at any one time (i.e. allowances, monthly pay, transport costs (especially for new and relocated staff)), then information as to the recipients' will vary from time to time. The task is to audit this list at the various stages of disbursement to ensure that the recipient is an actual employee and not otherwise. This effort can hence be built into the system as a vouch system where a member of staff vouches for a provided list of teachers at his/her institution. For this to work this system should be legally binding and its timely completion should necessitate the release of funds for all staff in that given vouch ‘ticket'. Any discrepancies found from the ticket should be timely resolved at the school/provincial or district levels as well as the ministerial level prior to payments being made.

Since this will be an ongoing data capture exercise, concise documentation of the system should be made available on filling in the system.

From a staff point of view, they will be anticipating payment(s) to be made over the year hence there could be an accumulation of outstanding amounts given that from time to time, payment delays do occur, hence a point in time view of outstanding and payments made would be ideal.

The system will be managed at the ministry level where a running list will be compiled from employment commitments already made and from reconciliation exercises following each month's payment run. Information flow will be centrally controlled, i.e. the list sent through to district/provincial levels and reconciliation information received back from the distinct/provincial levels, Head teachers and from the individual teachers themselves.
An audit exercise will hence be borne from this effort whereby, the data management effort will compile relevant reports that can be used to manage the payments and to ascertain the currency of the staff list at any one time.

So that's me thinking aloud, I have no Database or web backgrounds but believe will gain them through this journey, hope ICT folks can guide us through such a solution being put together.

@ konti
I can see you are very serious on this issue? Hope we could do something