Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Freed Arms Ship Due in Kenya Port

Discussion in 'Kenyan News and Politics' started by HellFire20, Feb 12, 2009.

1. H

HellFire20 Senior Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Freed arms ship due in Kenya port

Somali pirates holding the merchant vessel MV Faina on 19 October 2008
    Kenya has rebuffed allegations the arms on board were headed for Sudan

A ship packed with military cargo, freed after being held by pirates since September, is due to offload tanks and weaponry in the Kenyan port of Mombasa.

Controversy still surrounds the freight on the Ukrainian-registered MV Faina.

Kenyan authorities maintain the combat tanks and ammunition on the ship are new supplies for the Kenyan army.

But experts say the cargo was for South Sudan. The vessel was freed by the Somali pirates earlier this month for a ransom reported to be $3.2m (£2.2m).

The BBC's Josphat Makori at port in Mombasa says security is tight as officials wait for the ship to dock.

He adds that Defence Minister Yusuf Haji and military staff are expected to be present, while embassy officials are also on their way to meet the crew of 17 Ukrainians, two Russians and one Latvian.

Secrecy

The arrival of the MV Faina has become a huge public spectacle, with the media invited to witness the event.

This is in sharp contrast to the secrecy that has surrounded the ship and its cargo since it was hijacked off the coast of Somalia back in September.

The Kenyan authorities insist that the cargo of 33 T-72 combat tanks and thousands of rounds of ammunition are destined for the Kenyan military.

But international security experts say all the signs are that the cargo was bound for South Sudan.

Kenya's military spokesman Bogita Ongeri told AFP news agency on Wednesday: "Those who had doubts about the contents and its destination should be there to witness.

"We will all be there to receive the Faina and our military cargo which will be offloaded and taken in for safety in our respective military camps."

A parliamentary committee is investigating the issue.

If the allegations about Sudan are true, it would be a huge embarrassment for the Kenyan government, which helped broker a peace deal between the north and south of Sudan four years ago.

The captain of the ship died two days after it was seized by the pirates but the cause of his death is not yet clear and his body still needs to be repatriated.

Ukrainian television channel ICTV reported on Wednesday that special services sources have suggested the captain may have been poisoned to conceal the cargo's destination.

2. H

HellFire20 Senior Member

Feb 12, 2009
    I would want to believe that these Tanks are meant for the Kenya Military but i have my doubts.

3. Ab-Titchaz

Ab-Titchaz Content Manager Staff Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Military cargo offloaded from ‘Mv Faina’

Updated 17 min(s) ago

By Philip Mwakio

The first of the 33 military tanks rolled out of Mv Faina ship at Mombasa port’s berth five on Saturday.

By early Sunday, the tanks were being loaded into rail wagons for transportation to Nairobi.

Low tide delayed the exercise for two days. The vessel requires a specific water level to offload.

[​IMG]

One of the tanks is loaded into a rail wagon, on Sunday. ​

The consignment aboard the Ukrainian ship included anti-aircraft guns mounted on four-wheel carriages, rocket propelled grenades, an armoured truck and spare parts.

Military officials, led by Colonel George Kabugi, Deputy Commander of the Kenya Army Armoured Brigade, told journalists that they were happy to receive the cargo.

"We have the ability and capacity to handle this equipment," Col Kabugi said. "We shall use this equipment for the defence of our country."

The tanks were driven out of the ship and parked at a yard next to a waiting rail wagon, which will transport them. By Sunday morning, 22 tanks and five anti-aircraft guns had been removed from the vessel.

Open wagons

Loading onto rail wagons started early, with Kenya Ports Authority staff and Rift Valley Railways involved in the exercise.

The tanks were moved onto the open wagons before being lashed for the 500-km rail journey to Nairobi. The berth five parking yard had been turned into a temporary armoury as tanks and anti-aircraft guns, painted in dark green, lay in waiting.

When the vessel arrived, Defence Assistant Minister David Musila said the equipment would be transported to Kahawa Garrison and then to Isiolo and Lanet Army barracks.

The T-72 tanks are Soviet designed battle tanks whose production began in 1971. The tanks have been exported to Finland, India, Iraq, Syria and Yugoslavia before.

They can cross rivers upto five metres deep and have a comprehensive nuclear, biological and chemical protection system.

The Standard | Online Edition :: Military cargo offloaded from ‘Mv Faina’

4. H

HellFire20 Senior Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Its now official Kenya is the Military Power house in The region,You do not mess up with us Our strategic interests as a nation will now include military coercion previously it used only to be sitting down and talking and then being let down by some countries.We are putting you on Notice (Tanzania) you have to play ball with us or else those so called Minerals and chunks of land will be forcefully be ours.I hope u have not forgotten about The Americans invasion of Iraq a couple of years of back dont you think it cant happen now its jus a matter of time.

5. Mpita Njia

Mpita Njia JF-Expert Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Oh! When do you hold next general election? Lookout, these arms might be used by yourselves against yoourselves. Remember, you have that experience

6. M

MzalendoHalisi JF-Expert Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Ndugu,

Yaani kazi kweli kweli!

Ila kumbuka 1978/79 Tz tulimtoa Idd Amini Uganda, juzi tu tukamfurusha Bakar Comoros!

Ila Kenya bado ni jirani yetu..tunawapenda!

Actually mimi natafuta girl friend au mke huko ili kudumisha good friendly relations!

Nipe tips..je niende sehemu gani ya Kenya yenye warembo wazuri?

Haha haha Ha!

7. H

HellFire20 Senior Member

Feb 16, 2009

Yeah You are right We have the Experience and as they its the best teacher When you get to feel the effect of fire burn you don't attempt to do it a second time you safeguard the knowledge you have for a probable futeure use against you enemy.

8. Ab-Titchaz

Feb 16, 2009
    I believe you are joking..au sio?

9. H

HellFire20 Senior Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Unfortunately i am not i am very serious on this and so should you.

10. Ab-Titchaz

Feb 17, 2009
    That is a very self destructing opinion as I would say..subutu!

11. N

Namtih58 JF-Expert Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Sasa hivi vifaru vya seventie's ndo vita tisha nani, Ingekuwa pengine T90's.
    Halafu pia eti wamenunua ZPU-4 ambazo zilikuwa discontinued sixties, wange nunua self propelled kama Type 95 SPAAA, PZA Loara ingekuwa afadhali, tatizo afrika ni kuwa tunapenda sana kununua vitu cheap, tunasahau kuna sababu viko cheap.
    Ikiwa ni kununua zana za vita jamani afadhali kununua ambazo 20 years from now bado zitakuwa effective, sasa ZPU-4 urusi wenyewe waliacha kuvitumia 60's miaka kumi ijayo zitakuwa irrelevant, basi itabidi turudi mifukoni kutoa hela tena, ni upumbavu tu doesnt make any economic sense.
    Ndo madhara ya politicians kufanya military procurement, hawajui wanacho fanya.

12. H

HellFire20 Senior Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Let me start with the Age Factor 1970's tanks are in use all over e,g
    M1A1 MBT the best of the best in MBTs was introduced in late 1978, the challenger 1 was also introduced almost the same time so in terms of age i will disagree with you,what matters is the advances in upgrades that have been incorporated in the tanks,About the T90's these are derivatives of T72 and very few are available for export they are the supreme fighting tanks for the Russians.
    I believe the choice of these tanks was based on what is currently being used by Kenya's neighbors,
    Tanzania with its obsolete and substandard Chinese version of Type 59 which by the way was a technology they stole from the Russians tank version T55 and also some Type 62 light tanks from China.Like any right thinking defense expert will tell you "You don't buy defense equipments from China They will fix you"
    Uganda some T55 Main battle tanks,
    Ethiopia a mixture of T55's,T62's and T72's of questionable serviceability,
    Sudan they go to China because of the Embargo.
    and My Motherland some 100+ British supplied MBT's,and another 100 or so T72AM MBT's with ERA capabilities.

Now you why i am not bluffing its facts you are outnumbered, out gunned outwitted unfortunately there's nothing you can do about that.You just hope and play that one day we don't start looking at you differently.

13. N

Namtih58 JF-Expert Member

Feb 18, 2009
    For starters the M1A1 MBT started production in 1986 the challenger 1 in 1983 which was been repalced by the chalenger 2 in the 90's

Secondly you cannot compare the T72 to the M1, they belong to two different classes, the closest comparison you can get to the T72 is the M60 which was replaced by the M1. The T72 is a medium class tank which means it does not have the space/flexibility for upgrades compared to the heavy class tanks like the M1.

The fact the the tanks are in use all over today does not signify their relevance, does the fact that there are still countries operating MIG-15's today make them relevant in today's battle field.

All I am saying is, in as much as our governments must consider the price factor, they must also consider the relevance factor. One should not only ask themselves what are my enemies operating but when did they last upgrade, if they are due for an upgrade before I am what options will they have and will what I get now be/made relevant then?

And by the way the T90E is the export version of the T90 so they are available.

14. H

HellFire20 Senior Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Why Would a Country like Kenya need Abram or Challenger battle Tanks yet the likely hood of facing an enemy with far more superior arsenal is close to none ,it would be a waste of taxpayers money.Just look around we are talking of neighbors with T55's and some copied Chinese version.No country in Africa apart from egypt and maybe Maroc has Abram Tanks even SA does not have.
    Again ask your self what if the T72's are upgraded to meet the modern day battle requirement