Formula 1: 2010

24/70
highlight.png
HAMILTON IS OUT! The championship leader rounds turn two, but that's all she wrote for the McLaren driver. Hamilton crawls to a standstill just to the side of the track.

25/70
highlight.png
Vettel is facing the prospect of a 10-second penalty for holding up the rest of the field under the safety car earlier in the race.

WTF...They wanna frustrate him!!!

29/70
highlight.png
Drive-through penalty has been handed out to Vettel. Ferrari want Massa to surge past the German if he can.

31/70 Vettel's frustration is clear over the team radio, but his race engineer tells him to keep a cool head with Hamilton out of the race.

MARK WBBER is flyiiiiing......this RBR IS A BEAST...................

39/70 Lewis Hamilton on his race retirement. "I went through Turn One and basically lost drive. I think the gearbox went. That's motorsport. When you push cars to the limit these things can happen. We've lost a lot of points today."

39/70 lewis hamilton on his race retirement. "i went through turn one and basically lost drive. I think the gearbox went. That's motorsport. When you push cars to the limit these things can happen. We've lost a lot of points today."

....confirmed.....transmission problem...........

31/70 vettel's frustration is clear over the team radio, but his race engineer tells him to keep a cool head with hamilton out of the race.

its gonna be rbr 1-2..........

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER is nasty..........he nealy killed R. BARICHELLO..........

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER is nasty..........he nealy killed R. BARICHELLO..........

66/70 Barrichello squeezes past Schumacher, but the German tries to slam his former team-mate into the wall. That could have been very nasty, but fortunately the Williams driver sneaks through.

WEBBER wins HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX..........alonso 2nd...vettel.........3rd.....massa 4th....petrov.....5th

Result: 1. Webber 2. Alonso 3. Vettel 4. Massa 5. Petrov 6. Hulkenberg 7. De la Rosa 8. Button 9. Kobayashi 10. Barrichello 11. Schumacher 12. Buemi 13. Liuzzi 14. Kovalainen 15. Trulli 16. Glock 17. Senna 18. di Grassi 19. Yamamoto 20. Hamilton (ret.) 21. Kubica (ret.) 22. Rosberg (ret.) 23. Sutil (ret.) 24. Alguersuari (ret.)

Nasikitika kuzikosa hizi race hii mikazi mingine inauzi kweli hadi ya siku ya bwana kutinga tuuu
_48566276_web.jpg

_48566291_hung.jpg

_48566289_vettel.jpg

Webber wins in Hungary

Hamilton fails to score for just second time this season

Last updated: 1st August 2010

Mark Webber: on top again

Australian Mark Webber won the Hungarian Grand Prix to reclaim the Formula One world championship lead from Britain's Lewis Hamilton.
Webber's Red Bull teammate Sebastian Vettel had been hot favourite to win in Budapest after qualifying in pole for the seventh time in 12 races, but the German again failed to convert the advantage, falling foul of the safety car rules and finishing third behind Ferrari's Fernando Alonso.
Hamilton retired with a suspected gearbox failure on his McLaren, only his second failure to score this season, and dropped to second place in the overall standings, four points behind the new leader.
A safety car deployed to clear debris on the Hungaroring after 14 laps caused mayhem, from which Webber ultimately emerged to win his fourth race of the season.
With just a fifth of the 70-lap race gone it appeared as if we were in for a processional run to the finish as the field seemed set at that stage on a circuit where overtaking is virtually impossible.
But thanks to nothing more than that piece of debris on the track from Vitantonio Liuzzi's Force India, it sparked remarkable scenes, penalties and retirements.
It brought the safety car into play, with Vettel just receiving the call in time to pit as he cut across the kerb running alongside the entry to the pit lane.
With the exception of Webber, running third at the time, the bulk of the field went in to change their tyres.
Mercedes' Nico Rosberg was primarily the instigator of the mayhem - or at least part of his pit crew were as they failed to correctly fit his right rear tyre.
As the German pulled out onto the pit lane the tyre worked loose, initially rolling and then bouncing its way through the other pit crews, with one Sauber mechanic just avoiding being hit.
Whether it was a distraction to Renault's pit team is unclear, but Robert Kubica was released too early.
Within an instant he had run into the side of Adrian Sutil just as he was about to pull his Force India car into his pit entry box.
Damage

The damage was too great for Sutil to continue, and although Kubica was soon sent on his way again he unsurprisingly received a 10-second stop-go penalty for an unsafe release from the pits.
As for Rosberg, he trundled down to the end of the pit lane on three wheels, and with his crew unable to retrieve him, he retired.
The stewards are to further investigate both incidents after the race, with the likelihood the teams will receive penalties given the danger that had been created.
The safety car initially seemed to serve McLaren well as Hamilton jumped Felipe Massa in the pit stops and Ferrari were forced to back their drivers up.
That allowed Hamilton to move up to fourth, whilst Jenson Button, who had made his stop just before the safety car was deployed, had moved up to 10th from 14th following a woeful start.
The drama, though, did not end there because just as the safety car was poised to return after two laps on track, Vettel allowed Webber to open up a considerable margin.
The tactics were clear, with Webber needing to stop, the team were looking for him to get a flyer in the hope he could then eke out a lead, take on tyres and so secure a one-two, likely behind Vettel.
Vettel, though, allowed the gap to Webber to exceed 10 car lengths, which is against the regulations, resulting in him being handed a drive-through penalty.
Emotions

When he served his punishment at the end of lap 31, he allowed his emotions to get the better of him as he clenched his fists in anger, seemingly towards the stewards, as he drove through the pit lane.
In filing in between the two Ferraris, and despite staring at the back of Alonso's exhaust for around the final 30 laps, the 23-year-old never once found an opportunity to pass.
Out in front Webber, who it initially appeared had made a mistake in not making his stop when the safety car appeared, stayed out on the super-soft tyres for 43 laps.
By that time he had built up a 23-second cushion to Alonso, enough to allow him to take on fresh rubber, retain his lead and stroll to victory.
At the end the margin was 17.8secs, with Alonso holding off Vettel for second, followed by Massa in fourth and Renault's Vitaly Petrov enjoying his best result for the team with fifth.
That was also the case for Williams' Nico Hulkenberg who was sixth, whilst Pedro De La Rosa ended his points drought for Sauber with seventh.
Behind Button in eighth was the second Sauber of Kamui Kobayashi, whilst Williams' Rubens Barrichello claimed the final point.
That was after a pass on Michael Schumacher in his Mercedes on lap 66 in which he was almost pushed into the wall along the pit straight, another incident the stewards are to investigate.

FIA Formula 1 drivers' world championship
Position Driver Country Team Points
1 Mark Webber Aus Red Bull-Renault 161
2 Lewis Hamilton GB McLaren-Mercedes 157
3 Sebastian Vettel Ger Red Bull-Renault 151
4 Jenson Button GB McLaren-Mercedes 147
5 Fernando Alonso Spa Ferrari 141
6 Felipe Massa Brz Ferrari 97
7 Nico Rosberg Ger Mercedes GP 94
8 Robert Kubica Pol Renault 89
9 Michael Schumacher Ger Mercedes GP 38
10 Adrian Sutil Ger Force India-Mercedes 35

Msimamo ulivyo mpaka leo

Schumacher: Belgian blow

Michael Schumacher will lose ten places on the Belgian GP grid after he was penalised by the Hungarian stewards.
Fighting with Rubens Barrichello for the the final points-scoring position in Budapest, Schumacher came close to causing a massive accident when he squeezed Barrichello, almost putting him into the wall.
The Hungarian race stewards penalised the Mercedes GP driver for "illegitimately impeding car 9 during an overtaking manoeuvre."
They handed him a ten grid slot-penalty for the next race, which is the Belgian GP on 29th August

Hamilton - that's racing

Whitmarsh disappointed at points haul but stays upbeat

Hamilton: gear box failure
It's a pity to have a fault at this stage in the year, but that's racing - when you push the car to the limit, these things can happen. We'll learn from this, though, and we'll just have to work even harder to make sure we don't have any further problems this year, and that we can catch back up to the front-runners - which I'm certain we'll be able to do.​
Lewis Hamilton

Britain's Lewis Hamilton surrendered the world championship lead after a gearbox failure forced him to retire from the Hungarian Grand Prix.
Hamilton started fifth on the grid but his failure to score points for just the second time this season sees race winner Mark Webber take over at the top of the standings.
Hamilton said: "I was accelerating out of Turn One when I felt a sudden vibration and then a loss of drive. I initially thought it was a driveshaft failure, but it now appears that it was a gearbox problem.
"Actually, I may have had an issue with the gearbox from the very beginning of the race, when I initially feared I had a brake-related vibration.
"Whatever, it's a bit of a shame because, as always, the guys had worked very, very hard all weekend, and I think we'd done more than enough in the race to get up to the front and score some decent points.
"It's a pity to have a fault at this stage in the year, but that's racing - when you push the car to the limit, these things can happen.
"We'll learn from this, though, and we'll just have to work even harder to make sure we don't have any further problems this year, and that we can catch back up to the front-runners - which I'm certain we'll be able to do."
His McLaren teammate Jenson Button finished eighth, another disappointing result for the world champion.
Button said: "The weekend started really well: we showed good pace in free practice and I was looking forward to qualifying. Unfortunately, that didn't work out, and I started 11th on the grid.
Got stuck

"I got a good start off the line, but I went four abreast into Turn One, and got stuck on the outside, losing about four or five places.
"So, from that position, finishing eighth wasn't too bad. I lost a lot of points, and for the team to take home only four points today is disappointing, but there isn't a very big points gap covering the top four drivers - I'm only 14 points behind the championship leader, after all - so it's still all to play for.
"It's been a tough weekend, but we'll come back fighting. We're a very positive and strong team, and we've been in difficult situations before, so we can definitely jump back from this - hopefully as soon as Spa-Francorchamps at the end of this month."
Team principal Martin Whitmarsh added: "Obviously, we're disappointed with our haul of world championship points here in Hungary, but we remain in hot contention for the drivers' world championship and the constructors' world championship, and it's all still to play for in the last seven grands prix of the season.
"Lewis made a decent start this afternoon, but then got squeezed into Turn One and dropped a place. He then did really well to pass Vitaly [Petrov] on lap two, and the boys then pulled off a really slick pit stop to get him ahead of Felipe [Massa], too.
Frustrating

"As the race unfolded, it became clear that, had he not suffered a gearbox failure, Lewis would probably have finished third. So that's very frustrating.
"Jenson made a good start but then got boxed in at Turn One and also lost time avoiding Michael [Schumacher] as he [Schumacher] ran wide and then rejoined the track. But, from 15th at the end of lap one, Jenson then drove patiently and determinedly all afternoon, slogging his way to four world championship points as a result.
"After the summer shutdown, we'll come back fully refreshed and utterly determined to apply ourselves as hard as is humanly possible to take world championship honours this season. We've got lots of good people, we've got lots of good ideas, and we're prepared to do lots of work. We always knew that this year's world championship was going to be a tough battle, but we're up for that tough battle - so bring it on!"

Back
Top Bottom