few hrs before the kickoff barca vs Gooners Exclusive Guardiola (what he thinks about Wilshere)

Viper

JF-Expert Member
Dec 21, 2007
Second rate! Guardiola tells Wilshere he'd only make the Barca reserves

Arsenal's Champions League clash was at boiling point here after Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola dismissed midfielder Jack Wilshere as a second-rate player who would not get in his first team.
As Arsene Wenger prepares to take a massive gamble on the fitness of Robin van Persie and Cesc Fabregas in a bid to eliminate 'the best team in the world', Guardiola launched an astonishing attack on the most exciting English player to emerge since Wayne Rooney.
Guardiola said he had a second team full of midfielders like 19-year-old Wilshere and it was only because Arsenal are not under the same pressure to win trophies as Barca that Wenger could afford to include the teenager in his line-up.

Matt Lawton on the big clash: It's Barca or bust, Arsene! Triumph in the Nou Camp and Arsenal can claim greatness ... lose and they may never recover

article-1363976-0D39FE14000005DC-523_634x508.jpg

(Second string, Pep? Wilshere (right) was man of the match in Arsenal's first-leg win over Barca)

Wilshere played a major part in Arsenal's sensational 2-1 first-leg victory against the Catalans but Guardiola said: 'He can be a great player for Arsenal and England. But we have many types of player like him in the second team.
'He's lucky, as Arsenal have time. There is not the pressure to win titles as quickly as possible. We have second-team players like him.'

article-1363976-0D82D9C2000005DC-918_634x465.jpg

(Turning up the heat: Barcelona coach Guardiola has targeted Arsenal star Wilshere)

Wenger responded by reminding Guardiola that he has not long been a manager.
'I play Jack because he's good enough and I'm long enough in the job to know when a player deserves to play,' said the Arsenal boss. 'In England you know very well that I'm under pressure.'
Barca were clearly agitated by the shock news that Van Persie has arrived here. Only last week Wenger said he feared the Dutchman's ankle injury would keep him out for a month. On Monday he suggested that, along with Theo Walcott and Alex Song, Van Persie would not be here for the last-16 clash.
Guardiola said: 'Mr Wenger said Van Persie wasn't going to play and today he's with the team. Last year something similar happened, so maybe there will be a private flight for Walcott to come in.'
But Wenger said: 'He has made quick progress. It's no mind game - I'm not good at those. We will see tomorrow when the medical staff check him.'
The Gunners boss also has concerns over Fabregas, who has a hamstring injury.
'Today is the final test to make sure we don't take a silly gamble. He will be 100 per cent or not play,' added Wenger.

article-1363976-0D81F01E000005DC-304_306x458.jpg

(Key men: Wilshere and Fabregas, who should be fit to play against his boyhood club in the Nou Camp)
article-1363976-0D81DB7E000005DC-875_634x404.jpg

(Dangerman: Van Persie (centre) trained on Monday under the gaze of manager Wenger (right))

FANS RESPONSE

Alan, London, 8/3/2011 10:31
The British press REALLY need to get over themselves. Guardiola said that they have 'many players like Jack in their second team' which they do if you watch any of the Barca B games or maybe you will see tomorrow if Thiago gets to go on as a sub, he never said anything about Jack playing for Barcelona. And now all we're going to get is comments saying how ignorant Guardiola is.

- Amar, London, 8/3/2011 11:05
Dailymail fobbling up the words...again. Guardiola did NOT say he would only make the Barcelona reserves, he was merely pointing out that he has some youngsters similar to Wilshere's mould but cannot play them because of the quality of the current first teamers. Please go read the real transcirpt of the interview.

James, Sheffield, 8/3/2011 11:06
Classless Guardiola!!! Can't believe he said that...here's to hoping Barca gets knocked out.

John Tring, London, 8/3/2011 11:24
Of course PG is right. This midget of a player, another of the one-trick ponies in the Arsenal stable, is grossly over hyped. Period.

Hugh, Irvine, USA, 8/3/2011 12:09
You are so right Pep. I don't know what all the hype is about this kid. He may be great one day but he has still got a long way to go. One thing we do know though is that he has got a big mouth.

Carl, In the desert, 8/3/2011 13:15
Come on Arsenal. Silence these cretins once and for all. Calling Jack second team material is tasteless - but then again who are we kidding here? It is Barcelona - no moral or ethical values. Pep is trying to de-moralize Jack and the team. Normally the sign of someone who is a bit worried.

alby, girona catalunya, 8/3/2011 13:19
pep you are over rating your reserves thats why you struggle to grind out a win when 1st team players are not featured through injuries or suspension yes you have the best 11 in the world but i would love to know your 19 year old midfielders who are brtter than jack wilshere we all know the worrieing signs of bcn is the gap in the 1st team an the 2nd team is so vast that it is going too be massive problems for you i give you 2 seasons matey then its adeu you sound a little threatened and worried because i can see the young guns getting there revenge tonight especially having to rely on makeshift defence you are too scared to field a real centre back tonight because you know your reserve team isnt that strong they would struggle in the english championship

Aussie Gooner Dave, Adelaide, Australia, 8/3/2011 13:40
Pep, I think the pain you're having with your back has made you a little tense. Don't be so grumpy and don't worry about Jack. If he only good enough for your reserve side, you've got nothing to worry about. You also seem miffed about RVP being fit. You said that you wanted to play against our best side and now you'll have a chance. I'd spend a bit of time thinking about your centre backs, no Puyol or Pique...good luck with that.

raul, london, 8/3/2011 14:02
its very easy for pep to say what he said when you have money like barca have they just raise the tv money every other year. Arsenal are a reality business they live in the real world. i like to see him manage in a few years when messi's speed has gone xavi cant pass the defensive mid-field player, that time is very fast approaching. wilshire if they score should take the ball and hand it to pep and tell thats for his mother.like pele did at a Milan defender who was irratating him pele said after scoring " here take this(ball) and give it to your mother and tell her its from the King".

anon, Uk, 8/3/2011 15:04
hum,the psyching out gets ever more childish and ludicrous .

Alan Edgecombe, Somewhere in this daft country, 8/3/2011 15:16
Having been in Spain Recently and taken time out to watch Barcelona Reserves in a game which they struggled to win I can only say one thing about the claim THEY DON'T NOT ONE.

David Attenbra, Clare,Ireland, 8/3/2011 15:16
Show him who's second rate tonight Jack.What a stupid comment from Pep.Come on you gunners!!

George, London, 8/3/2011 15:19
Read the the quotes from Guardiola then compare to title..He actually isn't disrespecting Wilshere, Thiago Alcantara would get into Arsenals team sooner than Barca's, that's not demeaning. Cue angry Arsenal fans

Arul, India, 8/3/2011 15:54
i like barca! but to say wenger does know how to pick his team and jack is not A team material is quite ignorant on his part! The british press has been calling for arsenals throat for so long with the now cliched "6 year since silverware" and here you hear a man saying Arsenal has no pressue..lol

- jmac, Britain, 8/3/2011 16:12
Come on Arsenal. Silence these cretins once and for all. Calling Jack second team material is tasteless - but then again who are we kidding here? It is Barcelona - no moral or ethical values. Pep is trying to de-moralize Jack and the team. Normally the sign of someone who is a bit worried. - Carl, In the desert, 08/3/2011 05:15 No moral or ethical values? What about the fact that Barcelona have for several years now been sponsored by Unicef, meaning that instead of receiving sponsorship money, they actually give money to this charity.

- Denis, Slovenia, Maribor, 8/3/2011 16:20
Knowing Pep, you guys are just blowing his comments out of proportion, and twisting them while translating... You need this "war propaganda" to attract controversy and readers... Pep is a good honest guy and he would never attack anyone is such harsh way.. He is no Mourinho or Ferguson or any other "blame the referees" bimbo. And so is Wilshere - A good, honest and humble youngster... And the second note - Its ofcourse true that he would not make his first team. Hardly anyone in the world would. Even Mascherano cannot make the first team and plays only in case of other players injuries.

- San, The Emirates, 8/3/2011 16:30
Ok pep, I guess when Fabregas was their people thought of him as a second rate player and he couldn't get into the first team, but since he left Barca look how he turned out and now you people are dying to buy him back, you say wilshere wouldn't make it in the first team at Barca, I'm guessing you only know your first team and not the hidden talents that lay in your reserves, no wonder their leaving Barca and coming here to the emirates, and thanks for Jon Miquel Toral Harper and other Barca players who can't get into the first team who'll also be coming here.

。。。。。。。。。。。。 read more