Ferguson wary of Mourinho effect

The Farmer

JF-Expert Member
Jan 7, 2009
Sir Alex Ferguson says his poor record against Jose Mourinho is ample evidence Manchester United are not certain to reach the Champions League last eight.
Ferguson's United face Mourinho's Inter Milan on Wednesday having drawn 0-0 in Milan, but the Scot has just one win in 13 attempts against the Portuguese.
"It proves I am not infallible. I am vulnerable, just like anyone else in football," said Ferguson.
"It is strange just to have one win but the personal record doesn't bother me."
Holders United are strong favourites to advance having dominated the first leg at San Siro but Ferguson warned against complacency.
He highlighted the example of his side's defeat by Mourinho's Porto at the same stage five years ago, when a late away goal sent United crashing out of the competition, and pointed out that Inter are seven points clear in Italy's Serie A. "You can never be over confident in this position simply because an away goal can be a severe setback," said the 67-year-old.
"When you play an Italian side, you have got to be at your best. Their record over the years has been fantastic.
"AC Milan have won the European Cup seven times, all in the modern era, which I believe makes them the most successful side, because Real Madrid won their first five when European football was just beginning.
"Inter Milan have every right to go into the match thinking they can win.
"They are seven points clear at the top of their league and have a lot of experience. We expect a tough game but they should expect one as well."
Ferguson's solitary victory over Mourinho came in 2005 when Darren Fletcher's header saw off Chelsea at Old Trafford. Mourinho has been touted as a possible successor for Ferguson when the Old Trafford chief decides to retire but Ferguson refuses to be drawn on whether he feels the Portuguese will replace him at United.
"Jose summed it up himself the other day, he is not involved in it - and I am not going to get involved in it either," said Ferguson.
When asked once more, on Tuesday, about the possibility of replacing the Scot as United boss, Mourinho was again non-committal.
"In 20 years maybe," smiled Mourinho. "I think Sir Alex might be here (Old Trafford) that long.
"He is tough, he is strong, he is happy, he loves it and he wins. Let him be here for another 20 years. I hope he is."
Mourinho is under huge pressure to bring European success to Inter Milan and is drawing on his previous experiences at Porto, with whom he won the competition in 2004. Costinha's late effort for Porto at Old Trafford sent United crashing out of the competition that year and saw Mourinho famously sprint down the touchline to celebrate with his players.
"It was a great achievement with a group of boys nobody respected too much," he said.
"To come here and beat Manchester United, then win the competition, was something fantastic.
"A few years later people knew the players; Carvalho, Deco. At that time people didn't know them or the crazy manager running down the touchline.
"That was the goal that opened doors in England and my career was never the same again."
Defeat by United could spell the end of Mourinho's tenure at Inter, but typically the 46-year-old is refusing to think that way.
"I prefer to think in a different way," he said.
"I prefer to think about the possibility of Inter knocking out the world champions. It is a different way at looking at the picture."

Source; BBC Sport website

"It is strange just to have one win but the personal record doesn't bother me."
Fergie ameshajibu
Holders United are strong favourites to advance having dominated the first leg at San Siro but Ferguson warned against complacency.

Mourinho has been touted as a possible successor for Ferguson when the Old Trafford chief decides to retire but Ferguson refuses to be drawn on whether he feels the Portuguese will replace him at United.
"Jose summed it up himself the other day, he is not involved in it - and I am not going to get involved in it either," said Ferguson.
When asked once more, on Tuesday, about the possibility of replacing the Scot as United boss, Mourinho was again non-committal.
"In 20 years maybe," smiled Mourinho. "I think Sir Alex might be here (Old Trafford) that long.
"He is tough, he is strong, he is happy, he loves it and he wins. Let him be here for another 20 years. I hope he is."
Jamaa anaanza kujipendekeza kupata kibarua OT

Code:
Mourinho is under huge pressure to bring European success to Inter Milan and is drawing on his previous experiences at Porto, with whom he won the competition in 2004. Defeat by United could spell the end of Mourinho's tenure at Inter,
Kazi ipo akitolewa leo kibarua kiko mashakani

Ila Mkuu Belo, mimi nina asilimia 90 jamaa anakuja kuifundisha Man Utd maana naona kama dream yake toka mwanzo hajaja Chelsea ilikuwa ni Man Utd sema sasa kwasababu ya exposure akaona aanze na Blues. Nilikuwa sielewi kwanini anapeleka Mvinyo kila mechi mara aende kuongea na SAF kila baada ya game lakini nafikiria anajribu kuwa karibu ya Macho SAF ili amuone katika urithi wa kiti chake

Jana dakika zote 90 Mourinho alishindwa hata kukaa kwenye benchi
Washabiki wa MAN walikuwa wanaimba
"''Sit down, Mourinho,"
" ''You're not Special one anymore"

Back
Top Bottom