A member of the First Family has been named in an alleged attempt to offer Shs1.5 billion as an inducement to a key Forum for Democratic Change member to defect from his party and step down. Mr Francis Atugonza, also the FDC Secretary for Trade and Industry and the incumbent Hoima Municipality mayor, told Daily Monitor yesterday that he was contacted six days ago by one of the Presidents sons-in-law with the offer. Quit and earn Mr Atugonza says he was told that all he had to do was quit the race for re-election and be paraded before the crowd with his supporters as defectors during Mr Musevenis coming tour of Bunyoro sub-region next week. But Mr Atugonza said he turned down the offer after which the individual reportedly headed for Buliisa District where he is said to have held a closed-door meeting with the FDC LC3 Chairman Willis Kinobe. Daily Monitor understands that this meeting could have been part of an ongoing plan to persuade FDC Bunyoro candidates and supporters to defect. Police spokesperson Judith Nabakooba yesterday told Daily Monitor that the Force would investigate Mr Atugonzas allegation. Section 62 of the Presidential Elections Act makes it illegal for candidates and their agents to provide money, gifts or other considerations to a voter with the intention of inducing that person into voting for a particular candidate. Bribery is also an offence under Ugandas anti-corruption laws. Lunch date Mr Atugonza alleges that on January 5, while having lunch with Mr Jackson Wabyona, the FDC chairman for Hoima District, at Kijungu Hotel in Hoima town, he was contacted by a husband of one of the Presidents daughters who offered to pay for his lunch. The Presidents son in-law, who was accompanied by Mr Steven Besisira, himself son of former Kamwenge district commissioner Ignatius Besisira, reportedly told Mr Atugonza about the deal. I told him that I have been in prison on politically motivated charges. My relatives, my children, my wife and my friends were all affected when I was arrested over nothing. I asked him how much can you compensate me for that? I know that is taxpayers money that they have chosen to spend through bribery. I cannot share that evil and I want them to tell the President that I will not be part of his evils. For a second time, on January 6, the same son-in-law tried to call Mr Atugonza but the latter did not answer forcing him to ask in a message seen by the Daily Monitor: What happened? Mr Atugonza said yesterday that he did not reply to the text message. I am speaking this with authority because I even have SMS messages on my phone, Mr Atugonza said. He has been in Bunyoro for two weeks hunting for FDC defectors to parade before the President but he has so far received none. He will get NRM members defecting to NRM. On January 7, after making two futile phone calls to him, the same individual sent another text message pleading with the FDC strongman that Please call. Daily Monitors attempts to reach the named son-in-law were unsuccessful. His mobile phone was always picked by an identified female aide who said her boss was in meetings in Bunyoro.