Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Facebook hits 500m user milestone

Discussion in 'Biashara, Uchumi na Ujasiriamali' started by Invisible, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Invisible

Invisible Admin Staff Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Social network giant Facebook has registered its 500 millionth member, the firm has announced.

The site, which launched in 2004, has gained around 100 million new users in the last six months.

Facebook said the number was "an important milestone" and added that it was "humbled and inspired" by the stories of its users, which it is asking people to share on the site.

The UK currently has around 26m Facebook users.

Stuart Miles of tech blog Pocket Lint said its success was down to "word of mouth".
    "There are so many people online and so many people wanting to share with each other's friends - it's like a snowball," he told BBC News.

"It started off small, rolled and rolled, then all of a sudden not just your immediate circle of friends are on it but loads of people are, and they're all evangelising about why you should be on it too.

"The next milestone, which will probably be 750m, won't take as long - the more you have the more it spreads, like that snowball."

Mr Zuckerberg recently said that the site was "almost guaranteed" to reach one billion users.

However, the site has also had its share of problems. It recently came under fire for making repeated changes to its privacy settings and thousands of people threatened to boycott it in May 2010.

But influential blogger Robert Scoble told the BBC that, despite the controversy, most people were not put off.

"There is no expectation of privacy there," he said. "Privacy stuff does not resonate with 'normal' people."

As Facebook has grown, many of its competitors have shrunk or disappeared.

MySpace, owned by News Corp, was once the poster child of social networking.

However, Facebook raced past it in 2008. MySpace currently has around 65 million unique users.

"MySpace is aimed at kids and they have limited access to computers," said Mr Miles.

Another competitor, Bebo, has also faced difficulty. In June this year its owner, AOL, sold the site just two years after it bought it for $850m (£417m).

The company said it was unable to provide the "significant investment" Bebo needed to compete with its social networking rivals.

One site that appears to be growing alongside Facebook is Twitter.

Measurements of Twitter traffic are notoriously difficult as many users do not interact with the service through the website. Instead, they use desktop software and mobile phones.

However, it is estimated to be approaching 200m users, including Mr Scoble.

"I love [Facebook] for talking to personal friends, keeping up to date with what they're doing," he said.

"But I'm more of a Twitter user, I use that to get information out and talk to a community that cares about the same things that I do."

Source: BBC
    Thu, Jul 22, 2010

2. Gaijin

Gaijin JF-Expert Member

Jul 23, 2010
    lazima watimie milioni hizo ............apart from my mama, watu wote wa karibu yangu wamo kwenye facebook. Na tokea kuwa na application for iphone and ipad wananipa raha sana hawa watu.

JF vipi haina apps yake kwenye itune?! kama ipo itanisaidia :)

3. Invisible

Jul 23, 2010
    Gaijin,

Angalia response toka PCWorld (ya leo July 23, 2010).

The Real Story Behind Facebook Stories

As I noted earlier this week, Facebook just crested 500 million members, and it's been pulling out all the stops to draw attention to that fact.

Mark Zuckerberg is making the TV rounds, talking to Diane Sawyer on ABC last night. Rumors swirl that a cartoon version of Zuckerberg may even appear on "The Simpsons"the sweat will be virtual).

The social network is commemorating the milestone by publishing "Facebook Stories," a series of heartfelt vignettes from FB users the world over about how they reconnected with old friends and lovers, reconciled with family members, found their lost cats, etc, via the magic of Facebook -- all told in the length of one status update (420 characters or less).

You can search the Stories page by theme (crime fighting, friendships, parenting, pets, etc) or via a slick Bing map interface that displays the location of each Story author. And, of course, you can add your own. I have to say it's beautifully done. Even I can't find anything cynical to say about it, which should tell you something. As for privacy, well, if you want to share this stuff, it's your choice, right? That's what privacy is all about.

But there are some stories Facebook doesn't want to tell this week. Like whether Mark Zuckerberg really did sign a contract that gives 84 percent of his $25 billion baby to some obscure Web designer named Paul Ceglia. It's clear Zucky signed something back in April 2003; whether that gives Ceglia the rights to most of Facebook seems rather dubious, but you never know what a court will decide. I'm betting Mr. Ceglia is going to walk away with a large check in his pocket when the dust has settled.

There are other stories. For the first time ever, the American Customer Satisfaction Index rated social media sites, and it published the results this week: Of the four sites surveyed, Wikipedia topped the list, garnering a rating of 77 (our of 100). YouTube was next (73), followed by Facebook (64) and MySpace (63). Per the ACSI's survey partner, ForeSee Results:

"Facebook is a phenomenal success, so we were not expecting to see it score so poorly with consumers... At the same time, our research shows that privacy concerns, frequent changes to the website, and commercialization and advertising adversely affect the consumer experience. Compare that to Wikipedia, which is a non-profit that has had the same user interface for years, and it's clear that while innovation is critical, sometimes consumers prefer evolution to revolution."

Yes, people have an irrational love of Wikipedia. But landing just one point above MySpace? That's gonna leave a mark.

And then there's this story: As reported by Inside Facebook (and noted here previously), Facebook is actually losing members in the key 18 to 44 demographic. Yes, the same hoodie-wearing Gen X and Gen Y types who help create Facebook and built it into the juggernaut it is today are leaving the site behind.

Finally, the privacy angle. Per Inside Facebook again, one out of four women are uncomfortable with their privacy on Facebook, while four out of ten are neutral. So only about a third of women on Facebook like its privacy policies. And if hot chicks can't fix Facebook, who can?
    (wearing a hoodie, no doubt -- but at least

What's your Facebook story? Post it below or email me: dan(at)dantynan(dot)com. I may use it in a future blog post (with your permission, of course).

4. Gaijin

Gaijin JF-Expert Member

Jul 23, 2010
    waswahili walisema zamani ................hadithi ncha saba! sasa lazima hapa kuna madudu kibao ya facebook ambayo watu wa chini hatuyajui.....niliwahi kusikia zamani kuna mtu alisema huyo zack aliiba hii project kutoka kwa rafiki yake.

privacy kwa kweli mgogoro ..............mtu wa hukooo akiku tag kwenye picha yake, watu hata huwajui wanaweza kuja kuingia kwenye wall yako.

but all in all mimi upande wangu i like the service na nataka nipeleke story nilimpata my childhood sweetheart (ambae sasa mume wangu) through facebook! hahaha

5. Invisible

Jul 23, 2010
    Duh....

6. Raia Fulani

Raia Fulani JF-Expert Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Katika hiyo list umenitoa? Ni jana tu nimefuta akaunti yangu fb wakanipa siku 14 za kuamua vingine. Sijaona faida yake tangu nijiunge huko. Labda nikishaanzisha kampuni nitaingia kibiashara zaidi

7. Gaijin

Gaijin JF-Expert Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Kingi sasa umejitolea nini? si ungebaki tu ukaanza kufanya networking kisha ukipata biashara inakuwa rahisi kui market

8. Raia Fulani

Raia Fulani JF-Expert Member

Jul 23, 2010
    in short ni kuuza sura tu kule. Nadhani jf inatosha kwa sasa