Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Exploitation or new Opportunity for Tanzania?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Mhafidhina, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Mhafidhina

Mhafidhina JF-Expert Member

Jan 2, 2011
    So then, why are the Tanzanians leasing tracts of arable farmland to the South Koreans?

I recently interviewed Aloyce Masanja, the head of the Rufiji River Basin Authority a public enterprise, in Tanzania which has recently signed an agreement with the South Korean government to "jointly develop" some of the land to the west of the Dar es Salaam.

This is not the first time foreign nations, lacking in wide-open spaces, have essentially farmed food in Africa and then exported it home. But I was keen to get an understanding of what was driving this relationship.

Mr Masanja is a dapper, enthusiastic advocate of "development" in the rural areas of Tanzania. He feels strongly that if peasant farmers are not producing enough on their farmlands then that land should not be left idle or underdeveloped.

That said, he was reluctant to admit that the South Koreans would be sending the rice from the Tanzanian rice paddies back home, but eventually he did concede that when there was an "excess" of food that the South Koreans would be allowed to export the food back to Asia.

Masanja was, though, at pains to stress that the South Koreans had been contracted to uplift and educate local farmers in the process of planting their own rice paddies in Africa.

So my question this week: What’s in it for the Koreans? What is in it for the Tanzanians? Is this new form of land development another form of colonial exploitation? Or are the Africans wiser this time around?

Check from this link: Business 360: Get to grips with the issues affecting world business Blog Archive - Exploitation, or a new opportunity for Africa? « - CNN.com Blogs
  2. Mhafidhina

Mhafidhina JF-Expert Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Jamani hapa hakutakua na Ufisadi kweli? Is this a real win win situation as Mr. Masanja, the CEO of Rufiji Basin is proclaiming?
  3. G

Gad ONEYA JF-Expert Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I cannot personally comment on this as I do not have enough information. I try to stay up on what is happening here and how far down we are going to go before we get straightened out, if we ever get straightened out.
  4. A

Alpha JF-Expert Member

Jan 3, 2011
    A combination of poor reporting and the usual government secrecy makes it impossible to determine if this deal is good for Tanzanians. It's bad enough that we are incapable of farming our own land but we also have to deal with a lack of transparency which as we all know usually leads to corruption.