Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Expert testifies at Richmond case

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by nngu007, May 28, 2011.

1. nngu007

nngu007 JF-Expert Member

May 28, 2011
    By In2EastAfrica - Thu May 26, 8:47 pm

[​IMG]

Richmond agent, Mr Naeem Gire, is charged with five counts of forgery and uttering forged documents to the Tanesco Tender Board in regard to the capacity of Richmond to produce 100MW of electricity

A former expert in document authenticity examination in the police forensic bureau, yesterday testified at a Dar es Salaam court that Naeem Gire, an accused person in the Richmond case, gave authorities a forged power of attorney document after falsifying the signature of his brother, Mohamed Giire.

The power of attorney had given Naeem the authority to manage day-to-day operations of Richmond Development Company Limited in Tanzania on behalf of the firm's Chairman, Mohamed Giire.

In the case, Richmond agent, Mr Naeem Gire, is charged with five counts of forgery and tendering forged documents to the Tanzania Electric Supply Company Ltd (Tanesco) Tender Board concerning the capacity of the firm to produce 100MW of electricity.

A prosecution witness Hamad Hamad (41) told the Kisutu Resident Magistrate's Court that on November 3, 2008, he was given a parcel that contained a power of attorney document dated March 13, 2006 whose signature genuineness was doubted by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).

He said that in the parcel, there was also a cover letter and a power of take-agreement dated November 9, 2006 whose signatures were not doubted by the CID.

"The CID officer sent me a letter with the parcel instructing me to examine the realness of the Mohamed Giire's signature on the power of attorney. I used my naked eyes to compare Mohamed's signature on cover letter and the power of take- agreement with power of attorney agreement and realized that they differed.

He said that he later used a machine called Video Spectral Cooperator (VSC 5000) to compare the signatures and it showed that Mohamed's signature on the power of attorney was forged.
    Resident Magistrate Waliarwande Lema adjourned the case to June 15 when three more prosecution witnesses shall testify. In the case, it is alleged that the accused represented his brother, Mohamed Giire, Chairman of the Richmond Development Company Ltd, at the opening of bids and subsequent evaluation and negotiation process.

The prosecution also alleges that Naeem also told the Tanesco Tender Board at the opening of bid documents that the company was capable of producing 100MW electricity, adding that this was done to convince the board to shortlist the company.
    By JULIUS BWAHAMA, Tanzania Daily News