English learning thread

I note that you have begun and I congratulate you. Your level is actually quite good. I am myself not all that good, and I need people to correct me too. We need to encourage each other. Many mistakes can be avoided by using shorter sentences, especially when our command of the language is not very advanced.

keep trying...... the red is a repitition, ain't proper grammar.

Are you prepared to invest some cash in this learning effort?

Home Version - Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home - Speech recognition software for the PC - Nuance.co.uk

Why this approach?
Many folks can communicate effectively through written means but that doesn't automatically translate to good verbal skills in the same language. This tool can bridge that gap for you in that you will be able to see your oral speech in text form. This can help to gauge your own preparedness in conveying a message and the words you use to achieve this. Think of this as the little voice in your head coming out to play.

Santa, please remember me when xmas comes round, I need this too!!!!

then find some one with whom you can practice to speak, because many in tanzania are found better at written english than spoken one.

''someone'' is one word. last part could be ''because many Tanzanians are better in written than spoken english.''

I stand to be corrected as I am still learning too! Thank you guys.

''someone'' is one word. last part could be ''because many Tanzanians are better in written than spoken english.''

Should languages start with a capital letter, i.e. "English"? Just asking.

Even in Swahili, when you start a sentence you should start with capital letter

I think this thread will be helpful even to me

Should languages start with a capital letter, i.e. "English"? Just asking.

Yes Belinda your right but remember to start a sentence with capital letter

Hi Belinda we are better at not better in especially when the next word is a noun(ie. written english is a noun).Formula better at+noun.
So I would have written as follow:
Then find someone with whom you can practise(practice is american english,practise is england english) to speak, because many in Tanzania are found better at written English than spoken.
NB:If you type practise and it is red underlined in word showing it is wrong written,that is because your keyboard was set to USA format not UK.

Such a nice advice Zomba.I used to read those English news papers and few English novels.But what i am facing is that,I have read new vocabularies and fail to apply them.Because some of them are too difficult to use them into my sentences ,or use them incorrectly ,thats why I asked JF members to assist me.
mama wawili, jizoeshe kusoma kila gazeti au kitabu kilichondikwa Kiingereza unachoweza kukitia mkononi, itakusaidia sana, ongea Kiingereza kila unapopata fursa, usikasirike kukosolewa wala usione haya kuwa utakosea. Jiepushe kuongea swanglish, yaani kile Kiingereza cha kina Wema Sepetu cha kuchanganya na Kiswahili.

Iam doing fine.Iam glady you have said the truth.We have to work hard on this so that our Teachers dont get tired.I believe one day we will be good in English.
Mama Wawili, how do you do?

I am delighted to join this discussion. What a helpful thread for me too?!

Be blessed Kotinkarwak. I have visited the website just to see what is in there, and I was (very)much impressed. I will be responding to the debates and questions. But I am not sure whether what others have posted is all right.

Mama Wawili, avoid thinking in your first language when you wish to speak or write in English. Always think in the language you are using to avoid messing up the sentence order. I guess you are thinking in a Bantu language, possibly Kiswahili before you type your sentences. If you think in English, the right grammar kicks in, if you change your thoughts to another language, your brain quickly adapts to the relevant sentence structure.

Some examples you must have noticed in conversation: Glass beer (glass ya beer) instead of beer glass, plate number instead of number plate, system charge instead of charging system and countless other gems peculiar to Tz English which come about as a result of unconsciously applying the Kiswahili Noun Phrase structure to English constructions. English usually (not all the time, which makes the language 'difficult') places the describing word before the item being described - Head Teacher(compare with Mwalimu Mkuu), beautiful girl ( Msichana mrembo).

Oops, I said no grammar!
Point taken,oooh its my wish to think in English,then how come to think straight in english?I am dealing with grammer hope I will be improving day by day,thanks for the advice buddy

Such a nice advice Zomba.I used to read those English news papers and few English novels.But what i am facing is that,I have read new vocabularies and fail to apply them.Because some of them are too difficult to use them into my sentences ,or use them incorrectly ,thats why I asked JF members to assist me.

You have not done anything wrong by asking JF community to help, it needs courage to do so but still:

"The way anything is developed is through practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice and more practice."
― Joyce Meyer

I am really enjoying being a member of Jf through this language Forum... It was my wish to get a place where i would ask for a help and being given, i alwayz want to learn as i am not satisfied with this litle thing i know!! Please, i am asking to be corrected whenever 'am looking wrong!

Thanks alot for your wish,the issue is im working with government istitution where the means of communication is kiswahili as you know most of our time we spend there​

Mama wawilii you are trying your best well done. Try to write short sentences each with a specific idea. See below:

Thanks a lot for your encouragement. The issue is, I'm working with a government institution, where means of communication is Kiswahili; and as you know, we spend most of our time there.

let and me tell you mother two, engish is not a play, ooho. speak english is good i am at home or the job places. but see me, because i am experiency in talk and write and to teach of you is ok to me. now speak only the language of english, after two months, tell me, yu will be talk straight..dont tired and afraid mistakes.
i want to improve it now, no matter what situation i will be facing,those circumstances have caused all these im facing today,i have started implimenting it,thanks for the advice

Yes Belinda your right but remember to start a sentence with capital letter

your- possessive pronoun (cha kwako)
you're- you are

The use of your instead of you're is a very common mistake in English. I teach my students not to abbreviate words especially when leaning the language as it tends to (how shall I put this without sounding condescending..) silly mistakes.
dont use I'm, you'll find yourself using am. use I am
we'll
is also another huge no no. forget the apostrophe and you got yourself a well. tee hee

and loads more that I can't think of right now, but the bottom line is, do not shorten your words as
(a) its a very informal habit *DO NOT USE in letters, essays, journals and anything that is to be written down* (unless you're me and tend to flaunt the rules)
(b) like I said, it leads to common mistakes

Mama wawilii, nimependa sana nia yako ya kutaka kujua lugha ya kiingereza. naipenda sana hii lugha, naifunza darasani (not at the moment though) na ingekuwa up to me, everybody in the world would converse in this wonderful language, or darn well learn how :biggrin:. naamini that with practice comes perfection, and you are headed the right way. pia, kama una dictionary, inasaidia sana as you can look up and correct yourself when you are unsure. jaribu pia kusoma novels, they hugely boost not just your vocabulary, but your comprehension powers (yes I call them powers) and communication skills. kama unatumia mda mrefu mbele ya computer, au you have a smartphone, let me know nikupe directions za kupata dictionary and e-books for your device as *real books* tend to be expensive huku kwetu

regards, leh
de8yv8.gif

Thanks very much Leh for correcting me, I'm waiting to learm more from you

your- possessive pronoun (cha kwako)
you're- you are

The use of your instead of you're is a very common mistake in English. I teach my students not to abbreviate words especially when leaning the language as it tends to (how shall I put this without sounding condescending..) silly mistakes.
dont use I'm, you'll find yourself using am. use I am
we'll
is also another huge no no. forget the apostrophe and you got yourself a well. tee hee

and loads more that I can't think of right now, but the bottom line is, do not shorten your words as
(a) its a very informal habit *DO NOT USE in letters, essays, journals and anything that is to be written down* (unless you're me and tend to flaunt the rules)
(b) like I said, it leads to common mistakes

Nakushauri kama una uwezo wa kipesa na muda bora uende British Council Utapata unachokitafuta. Kama la tafuta kitabu kinachoitwa "English in USe" ni kizuri sana kujifunzia kimombo.

Back
Top Bottom