English learning thread

Most of us tend to think that, we are fluent in english while the truth is the opposit. Keep it mama
I will ChiefmTZ.I don"t want to pretend that I know while it is not true!I know myself how much that language have costed me.Swahili says dont hide desease because death will.......teh teh teh I wanted to say mficha maradhi kifo kitamuumbua

Aqua I would like to say that thanks for ur advices.I have started reading some books and doing some exercises via internet.What I believe is that books and internet can help alot,but by getting some challenges and correction from differnt people it is easy to learn.You will not believe but that is the fact I like atleast to reach 45%of your english level.Hope JF MEMBERS WILL TEACH ME WITOUT GETTING TIRED.Thanks
Hi members,I am happy to see people are interested in learning new things.In any language,if you want to be good you should learn first the grammar.So my advice to Mama Wawili,while we can help one another through JF,she should find some books in English grammar.Read them or find someone who is good in the language or you can also ask JF members just in case you face problems.My English I can not say is super but I believe to be among the Tanzanians who can speak fluent English.Remember in any language you are allowed to make mistake only when speaking but when it comes to writing you have to make no grammatical errors.I welcome challenges,thanks.

I will ChiefmTZ.I don"t want to pretend that I know while it is not true!I know myself how much that language have costed me.Swahili says dont hide desease because death will.......teh teh teh I wanted to say mficha maradhi kifo kitamuumbua

Usijali tutakusaidia cha muhimu umeonyesha nia ya kutaka msaada.
Language ni abstract noun(you can not touch it or feel it) na that inatumika kwa kitu kimoja(singular) sasa umekosea kusema "that language have costed me" ulitakiwa useme "that language has costed me".
Have inatumiwa na I,we,you(singular and plural) na they
Has inatumiwa na he,she na it.In this case the language iko katk category it(for non-living organism).
"Rome was not built in a single day na learning is a process not an event, it does not happen once it is a lifetime thing."

Language ni abstract noun(you can not touch it or feel it) na that inatumika kwa kitu kimoja(singular) sasa umekosea kusema "that language have costed me" ulitakiwa useme "that language has costed me".
Has inatumiwa na he,she na it.In this case the language iko katk category it(for non-living organism).

"Rome was not built in a single day na learning is a process not an event, it does not happen once it is a lifetime thing."[

Noted ,the proper use of that,has,have will be implemented

"Rome was not built in a single day na learning is a process not an event, it does not happen once it is a lifetime thing."[

Noted ,the proper use of that,has,have will be implemented.please would you mind to correct me by using English?

Noted ,the proper use of that,has,have will be implemented

"
Noted ,the proper use of that,has,have will be implemented.please would you mind to correct me by using English?"[

I have no problem with that but what I know when you teach someone,the teacher and the student being taught should have one language in common(in your case it is Swahili).This language should be used for clarification or as the media of communication.It is better if we will be mixing English and Swahili so that you can see the big picture.

Bora umesema mapema otherwise nisingekusaidia.
Practise(practise-UK,practice-USA,not practive) makes perfect.
they (you did not put they)are many behind facing the same...

another common mistake.
It should be;
There are many....

Thanks alot Zogwale.Thats why i have decided to express my idea here.I hope if I follow well all the advices i have given,one day my English will be superb.
What forces me to learn english
First is that my son is turning 3 years this month.I am planning to send him in English Medium school,I want to help him in his studies e.g His homework .I do not want him to face the same challenge as his mumy does.
Second I want to start a business which will involve different people.As you know language will help me to communicate with them.
please correct me

Mama wawili, there is no plural for advice. You should rather have said, "I will follow well all the pieces of advice you have given me."

Hi members,I am happy to see people are interested in learning new things.In any language,if you want to be good you should learn first the grammar.So my advice to Mama Wawili,while we can help one another through JF,she should find some books in English grammar.Read them or find someone who is good in the language or you can also ask JF members just in case you face problems.My English I can not say is super but I believe to be among the Tanzanians who can speak fluent English.Remember in any language you are allowed to make mistake only when speaking but when it comes to writing you have to make no grammatical errors.I welcome challenges,thanks.

I think Mama Wawili would do better to learn the grammar in context. Since she is not sitting for those tough NECTA exams (I'm sure many remember the nightmare!) she should concentrate on English in use. I believe that is her goal. She can learn by observing the responses that people make to various statements/ideas. The brain picks up a lot more than we can consciously perceive.

Be blessed Kotinkarwak.I have visited the website just to see what is in there,and I was impressed much.I will be responding to the debates and questions.But Iam not sure if what others have posted are all right.
Please visit Ted.com. There are many topical discussions that can be downloaded for offline viewing. I will suggest however to also download the transcript and follow it as the video plays. This approach can enhance the comprehension of the grammer in use. Another vital resource is the discussion following each of the video topic in forms of rforum posts. Many are well written and yet another arsenal in your learning/improvement journey.

They are discussions and hence different opinions are presented on a given topic. I like this kind of a resource for you will be getting a feel of how a presentation is received and analyzed by different people. But the bonus for anyone learning a language or wanting to improve their mastery is the breath of different grammar proficiency found in there.

Be warned: Be open minded, some of the topics are out of this world in content and don't pussy-foot on niceties.
For your learning, see how the discussions unfold and if you moved to comment, do go ahead.

Be blessed Kotinkarwak.I have visited the website just to see what is in there,and I was impressed much.I will be responding to the debates and questions.But Iam not sure if what others have posted are all right.

Be blessed Kotinkarwak. I have visited the website just to see what is in there, and I was (very)much impressed. I will be responding to the debates and questions. But I am not sure whether what others have posted is all right.

Mama Wawili, avoid thinking in your first language when you wish to speak or write in English. Always think in the language you are using to avoid messing up the sentence order. I guess you are thinking in a Bantu language, possibly Kiswahili before you type your sentences. If you think in English, the right grammar kicks in, if you change your thoughts to another language, your brain quickly adapts to the relevant sentence structure.

Some examples you must have noticed in conversation: Glass beer (glass ya beer) instead of beer glass, plate number instead of number plate, system charge instead of charging system and countless other gems peculiar to Tz English which come about as a result of unconsciously applying the Kiswahili Noun Phrase structure to English constructions. English usually (not all the time, which makes the language 'difficult') places the describing word before the item being described - Head Teacher(compare with Mwalimu Mkuu), beautiful girl ( Msichana mrembo).

Oops, I said no grammar!

thanks im trying,i promise i will be a good student,one day you will give me a test teh teh teh

then find some one with whom you can practice to speak, because many in tanzania are found better at written english than spoken one.

then find some one with whom you can practice to speak, because many in tanzania are found better at written english than spoken one.

Hapo kwenye red words naona kama kuna kitu hakijakaa vizuri wakuu,ebu tusaidiane hapa.

Back
Top Bottom