EA Treaty DEAD According to J Mashaka

Muke Ya Muzungu

JF-Expert Member
Jun 17, 2009
Jamaa aliyezushiwa kifo juzi, kaibuka na kuiponda jumuiya ya Africa Mashariki

john mashaka on EA treaty​

East African Treaty, Our Leaders "MUST" Tread Cautiously!

In the age of regional economic integration, and amalgamations in which powerful regional blocs have been created with hopes of better life, and improved economic conditions for the citizens within the blocs, we as Tanzanians, must carefully study the historic nature, economic end results of such unions, before committing our nation into the hyped East African Treaty

Unions are good on paper and excellent when it comes to economic negotiating power for the weaker member countries. We welcome them. However, one would like to know the possibility of ratifying the East African Treaty without Tanzania's land being in question? If the land is a must, then I have seen death of the treaty before it is born.

Let it die, because what is hiding behind the land has far reaching, diabolic consequences. And our leaders will be committing a big crime- TREASON- for the current and generations to come, by ratifying the treaty, which will entitle the jobless and the landless in the neighboring countries, to re-settle in Tanzania.

Political analysts, economists, historians and even intellectuals will agree with me that, so far, most of the major global integrations have not benefitted some of the poorer countries, which rushed to embrace them. Romania for example, is still poor than before, and her citizen's are facing such a hard time in finding jobs in the most developed Europeans nations, as they work for a fraction of what ordinary British and other Europeans would work for. Beneficiaries of these economic blocs have been richer nations which have exploited poorer nations with nothing substantial in return

North American, NAFTA, which was to integrate United States, Canada and Mexico into one economic bloc, is nothing but a failed one sided project. United States border with Mexico is nothing but a military zone. The so called illegal immigrants flooding the United States of America are a big strain into the American social services. The labor force from Mexico into the United States faces such a hard time, from wage disparity to integration into the American society; any Latino is simply a Mexican and regarded illegal immigrant.

Professor Ibrahim Lipumba, and Issa Shivji objected and questioned Tanzania's readiness into the amalgamation. I agree and support their concerns and stances, and anybody keen enough will do the same, due to the fact that, there are many underlying issues that needs to be addressed before such a marriage is ratified. This matter is of national concern; it is going to affect the current and our future generations, and is bigger than any political figure or political party.

It needs national consensus and not just a decision from a few leaders, as it could turn out to be a Trojan horse we willingly injected into our beings. Tanzania is a sleeping economic giant which can dwarf all East African nations combined could it have patriotic leaders who have the interest of the country at heart, and not their greed. We do hope, however, that, the next few years will bring such leaders. Therefore, the country does not need a hasty, photo op, paper signing, and country selling ceremony in the name of regional friendship.

Tanzania already, is becoming a bare land; huge craters are cropping up everywhere, with the country's wealth taken away by foreigners due to bad governance, and shoddy deals –corruption- perpetrated by her economic criminals. That is enough; we can't afford to give our land, and those in need of Tanzania land, should follow the regular immigration protocol and country's laws to acquire piece of it. In short, Tanzania has more to lose than any other country within the union

Let's not push our country into social chaos because of appeasement or political correctness. While we are hyped over the benefits, let's also ponder the unseen consequences; both in social, political, economic, and security spheres. Our neighbors are squabbling over a small island of Migingo; and almost went to war because of this tiny 4000 square meter (size of a football pitch); an insanity, and clear hidden intent of our neighbors' insistence of Tanzania land inclusion.

They should resolve such issues before we can let our land be shared freely with them. Kenya is basically a landlord cum-squatter's society, and many of her citizens have died as a result of land related wrangles. Opening Tanzania's doors will be nothing less that re-location of the landless Kenyans into Tanzania. And who knows, maybe two decades later they may claim Arusha as part of Kenya, bringing about Migingo ACT II

We are better than anybody else's euphoria, a tradition from some of our neighbors who believe, and still claim supremacy over English language , is likely to bring major labor disputes as those who consider themselves dandy will demand most of the plum positions within the union.

This complicated, irregular, perverse, and asymmetrical expected problem, needs more study for a balanced and equitable consensus between the member nations, which will eventually address, and avert such scenarios and disputes. If they can mistreat Tanzanians, in their country, what will happen to Tanzanians who crosses the boarder to look for jobs in masses?

One will wonder on how many Tanzanians have their dream jobs in Kenya – a country infested with tribalism and discrimination- compared to Kenyans or Ugandans working in Tanzania; and the answer should be a contributing factor on determining whether time is ripe to commit into the treaty.

The region can have a centralized capital market (exchange), uniform tax system, and even access to the ports of entry under uniform codes, without compromising security and bring land into the equation. Tanzanian based corporations can raise capital freely in Uganda Stock Market, and so could Uganda's, as well Kenya based companies do the same in Tanzania. And all these can happen without inclusion of land into the discussion.

The most industrialized nations within the Union will be creating such unbalanced trade in which domestic productivity, both in industrial, service, tourism and other sectors will be retarded and perhaps be forced out of operation by the most developed partner countries. If some of our neighbors can market Kilimanjaro as their historic site. With a common market, even Serengeti will part of their country's national wonder. Tanzania industrial growth is already suffering from Chinese counterfeiting pandemic, and fully opening the small domestic market for foreign goods will spell a total collapse of the struggling manufacturing industry.

Tanzanian must protect her industries and her people from unfair trade practices, and this translates to the very core issue of the nation not being ready to join the East African common market. Complexity of the matter is profoundly intricate; it involves immediate and long term consequences whose echoes will be felt not only five years from now, but decades and even centuries to come.

And if the need be, there should be a national referendum to determine whether the integration is needed in the first place, bearing in mind the security and social threats behind the treaty

Thorough review, extreme caution, vigilance and due diligence must supersede pressure and political correctness in reviewing the underlying interest and benefits Tanzania is likely to receive in return in the event of ratification of the treaty. And the greatest of all, we must not forget the dangers behind the land issue; which could spin out of control should the Dar-es-salaam regime ignore the rising tide of opposition within her population, and proceed with the ratification of the treaty, more so with the land "clause" remaining intact.

We must synchronize most of our issues or other concerns, and keep the land time bomb out of the equation for it to be a valid integration.

This is my perspective, what about yours, dear reader?

Mungu Ibariki Tanzania

I totally agree with u that, land should be out of the topic, If Tanzanian are treated unfair in their own country by our neighbours. Then what will happen if they will have all rights??
there is a company I used to work which is based in europe,where the headquarters are in nairobi, they actual brought some senior staffs from kenya who in return they employ their own kind while qualified Tanzanian are left jobless, imagine how will it be for a Tanzanian w in kenya????

I totally agree with u that, land should be out of the topic, If Tanzanian are treated unfair in their own country by our neighbours. Then what will happen if they will have all rights??
there is a company I used to work which is based in europe,where the headquarters are in nairobi, they actual brought some senior staffs from kenya who in return they employ their own kind while qualified Tanzanian are left jobless, imagine how will it be for a Tanzanian w in kenya????

C'mon guys, stop whining like babies all the time.

Sick and tired of inferiority complex shown here over and over again. Kenyans this and Kenyans that should slow down and ultimately stop for the sake of all africans who lived here before the infamous berlin conference.

Gooosh!

C'mon guys, stop whining like babies all the time.

Sick and tired of inferiority complex shown here over and over again. Kenyans this and Kenyans that should slow down and ultimately stop for the sake of all africans who lived here before the infamous berlin conference.

Gooosh!

Muzee hata mimi nakuunga mkono. Sioni sababu ya kulalamika iwapo bado tupo hai. Suala la msingi ni tunachukua hatua gani na tuna mipango gani. Kulalamika is a Tanzanian national sport lakini cha ajabu hatuchukui hatua baada ya malalamishi yetu. Na tunakuwa doomed kuwa a failed nation.

Muzee hata mimi nakuunga mkono. Sioni sababu ya kulalamika iwapo bado tupo hai. Suala la msingi ni tunachukua hatua gani na tuna mipango gani. Kulalamika is a Tanzanian national sport lakini cha ajabu hatuchukui hatua baada ya malalamishi yetu. Na tunakuwa doomed kuwa a failed nation.

Unajua mie nimechoka na visingizio vya kila siku toka kwa some guys hapa na kule kwa michuzi ambao wao kila siku ni kulia lia tu kuwa wakenya wanataka kuchukua ardhi ya watanzania and so on.

Kulia lia hakusaidii kokote, watanzania wengi wameelimika siku hizi na wana uwezo wa kustand on their own. Haya mambo ya kungangania ardhi wakati Kikwete anauzia (kukodisha) waaarabu kila siku ya mungu ni utindio wa ubongo.

..elezeni hizo benefits za Community instead of shouting down those who oppose it.

..actually mimi naona wanaoshabikia EAC nao wana inferioty complex ya kuamini kwamba Watanzania ambo tumebarikiwa vipaji na rasilimali kibao hatuwezi kuendelea bila kujiunga na hilo dubwana.

..pia tumekuwa tukiimbiwa wimbo kwamba tunaunda soko kubwa na East Africa. sasa nikawauliza ndugu zangu Wakenya kwanini hawajiungi na Ethiopia ambayo watu wengi, na ardhi kubwa, kuliko Tanzania, lakini sikupata jibu.

Nimetuma majibu yangu kwa Mr. Mashaka kupitia Michuzi, sijui kama yatatoka lakini.

LETS STOP THIS FEAR-MONGERING

Mr. Mashaka and the rest of Wadau,

I'm a strong supporter of the integration of the east african countries and africa in general. After saying that I want to remind everyone that I'm aware of the underlying problems in most african countries, problems ranging from tribalism, land issue (which is a brain-child of tribalism), employment opportunities, foreign policy matters etc.

As articulate as Mr. Mashaka was in his article, I noticed a number of major flaws and contradiction in his arguments, that I had to write a piece of my own. First, the comparison that he made between NAFTA, EU and EAC was unfair, and uninformed at best. Your argument about Latino immigrants in America should have directed you into thinking that Tanzanians will flood into Kenya to look for employment opportunities, since Kenya has a bigger, stronger economy than Tanzania. But what I found out was that you think it will be Kenyans that will mostly come to Tanzania. The two facts are both correct if taken exclusively and separate from each other, but trying to convince us they are one and the same is pushing it. By the way, why is it that I don't see any concern towards Rwandans? After all, more people died in Rwanda over tribal and land issues than in Kenya. Your pessimism and constant negative attacks start to make me think you might be a 'false-flag' sent by outside forces to prevent the integration from happening.

Tanzania desperately need good governance, whether we ratify the integration or not. Out of all 5 countries in the EAC, I can see good leadership coming from Rwanda, and maybe Tanzania, if and when current authorities decide to start enforcing the laws of the land. I don't think important decision like this should be made using a method of gambling, like a referendum. Justice Nyalali's Commission on Multi-Party System should have tought us a thing or two about making major policy decision by relying on a mass that is widely uninformed about the matter at hand. I understand Kenya is a headache to our security, probably more so than Zanzibar, but do you think we would have been better off with Zanzibar as a complete independent state?

Former Mexican President once remarked, 'Oooh poor Mexico, so far from God but so close to America'. 50 years from now, when that sleeping Giant Tanzania has finally awaken, how will you feel if you meet Kenyans and Ugandans and hear them making a similar remark like that of a Mexican President? If we take words from the scripture, we learn that if you give, expect God will give you back more. Tanzania has always used its land for those in need, from refugees fleeling the scourge of civil wars to liberation warriors in southern Africa. What's wrong if we use our land, in cooperation with our neighbours, for production and residential purposes? To me, that should be easier than sacrifices we had to endure for our brothers and sisters, because we actually do have guidelines to safeguard land ownership and use, the only problem we have is enforcement. We should embrace our neighbourhood with Kenya. I mean, it could have been a worse neighbour. Kenya has never attacked us or threaten us militarily or otherwise. The only time I can recall we having differences with them was during the boycott of apartheid-era South Africa, and that was never fought on a public square like you want this to be. Tanzanians can compete with anybody in this world. We might need to be polished alittle bit to be confident and fast but knowledge and hunger to be successful is there.

Your readiness to accept capital from Nairobi and Kampala but reluctance to accept their labour and enterpreneurship is simply a strategic ambiguity on your part. The fear that Kenyans are superior, either as a labour force or in communication skills is simply non-existential. We are witnessing the emergence of post-america world. For an intellectual like you, I would've expected you to bear that in mind while making critical arguments about national and international affairs. Capital flows to Tanzania in the next few decades will not be coming from America or Europe but mostly from China, Japan, South Korea, India and even Brazil and South Africa, so language will hardly be advantageous to Kenyans.

When it comes to political integration, I wouldn't mind having a figurehead as we continue to sort out tribal, land and other concerns people are having in each individual country. After all, even in our own political structure we do have figureheads like regional commissioners, who are mostly there to fight tribalism. If you have business ambitions you should embrace this integration. Kenya is the easier market for Tanzanian businessmen than any other market in Africa because they also speak Kiswahili. Endless opportunities are there for everyone to grab but we first need to stop this fear-mongering!

You made my day. kulalamika ni favourite national past time there.

..elezeni hizo benefits za Community instead of shouting down those who oppose it.

..actually mimi naona wanaoshabikia EAC nao wana inferioty complex ya kuamini kwamba Watanzania ambo tumebarikiwa vipaji na rasilimali kibao hatuwezi kuendelea bila kujiunga na hilo dubwana.

..pia tumekuwa tukiimbiwa wimbo kwamba tunaunda soko kubwa na East Africa. sasa nikawauliza ndugu zangu Wakenya kwanini hawajiungi na Ethiopia ambayo watu wengi, na ardhi kubwa, kuliko Tanzania, lakini sikupata jibu.
hapo sasa pengine sisi wazuri zaidi... unajua tena Mume huchagua mke anayempenda na mwanamke hutazama maslahi, ndio asili ya ndoa za kiafrika.

Hivi progress ktk IGAD vipi?

hili swala la ardhi nimelisoma leo kwenye gazeti la mwananchi. madhani tutakuwa tunajichimbia kaburi tukiwaachia wakenya kujiingiza kwenye maswala ya ardhi tanzania. jamaa wanajichinja kwa ajili yardhi. tukiwaruhusu je?

Unajua mie nimechoka na visingizio vya kila siku toka kwa some guys hapa na kule kwa michuzi ambao wao kila siku ni kulia lia tu kuwa wakenya wanataka kuchukua ardhi ya watanzania and so on.

Kulia lia hakusaidii kokote, watanzania wengi wameelimika siku hizi na wana uwezo wa kustand on their own. Haya mambo ya kungangania ardhi wakati Kikwete anauzia (kukodisha) waaarabu kila siku ya mungu ni utindio wa ubongo.

Wewe ni raia wa Kenya. Toka na unafiki wako wa kujitia kucomment kama mtanzania. Mwizi mkubwa usiye na haya.

Ukikosea tu, nitakuaibisha zaidi. I have just uncovered your vail.

Hivi Tanzania kama nchi ni kipi hasa tunachokikosa/tutakachokikosa kwa kutokuwa wanachama wa hili dubwana the so called "EAC"?

Hivi Tanzania kama nchi ni kipi hasa tunachokikosa/tutakachokikosa kwa kutokuwa wanachama wa hili dubwana the so called "EAC"?

mafisadi watakosa hela wasipowauzia wakenya viwanja. nendeni mikoani, na hata hapa dar. wakenya wananunua viwanjwa kweli kweli

Back
Top Bottom