Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Dube honoured, at MTV Awards

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Mbonea, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Mbonea

Mbonea JF-Expert Member

Oct 11, 2009

Oct 11, 2009 9:28 AM | By GABISILE NDEBELE

South African hip hop star HHP walked off with the award for Best Video for his Mpitse video at the MTV Awards last night.

Current Font Size:
    [​IMG] A picture of Lucky Dube at a memorial service for the slain musician in Johannesburg

"This was unexpected but I am grateful. This is for Africa and let's all unite and show people that we are one," he said.
    Soon after his acceptance speech, Wyclef Jean, host of the awards, called HHP back onto stage to tell him how great he thought he was.
    Thokozani Dube accepted an award on behalf of his father, the late Lucky Dube. "On behalf of the family I would like to thank MTV for remembering my father with respect," he said.
    Earlier that night, Jean had honoured the Lucky Dube in song. Jean told Times LIVE how Dube was a “legend in Africa” and compared him to Bob Marley.
    “I had a chance to meet Lucky Dube when I was visiting the West Indies. What I am to my people in Haiti and what Bob Marley is to the Jamaicans is what Lucky was to Africa,” he said.
    Jean also spoke about the day he heard that Dube had been gunned down in a car hijacking incident in Rosettenville two years ago.
    “The day I heard that Lucky was murdered I went straight into the studio and wrote the song about him as a signal to South Africans of just how much Lucky meant to Africa. I didn’t do this song to get attention from the press, because I knew that once it was given that spotlight it would lose the personal message I was trying to get across to the police and how they should get these murderers.
    “When I heard that the guys had been arrested I felt like the song got the message across to the police,” he said.
    Jean, who visited SA earlier this year, spoke of a “jamming session” on Thursday in Nigerian rapper D’banj’s hotel room at Nairobi’s Tribe Hotel.
  2. Mbonea

Mbonea JF-Expert Member

Oct 11, 2009
    The winners of the MTV Africa Music Awards with Zain 2009 are:
    BEST FEMALE Amani (Kenya)
    BEST MALE Nameless (Kenya)
    BEST PERFORMER Samini (Ghana)
    BEST GROUP P Square (Nigeria)
    BEST ALTERNATIVE Zebra and Giraffe (South Africa)
    BEST HIP HOP M I (Nigeria)
    BEST R&B Darey Art Alade (Nigeria)
    ARTIST OF THE YEAR D'Banj (Nigeria)
    BEST NEW ACT M I (Nigeria)
    BEST VIDEO HHP (South Africa)
    LEGEND AWARD Lucky Dube (South Africa)
    MY VIDEO AWARD Patricke-Stevie Moungondo (Congo Brazzaville)
    LISTENERS CHOICE AWARD Nameless (Kenya).
  3. Kweli

Kweli JF-Expert Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Our Dube deserve recognition for his positive message contribution, a true african germ, your messages will stay with us forever!