Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Does Democracy the way it is defined really suit Every nation?

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by Ben Saanane, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Ben Saanane

Ben Saanane Verified User

Jul 11, 2011
    Does democracy the way it is defined really suit every nation and culture?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not against democracy. I just see it not working in it's present form when introduced in several Nations. Perhaps, there is need to examine the fact that Nations have different cultures and ways of life which make it difficult for the kind of democracy many seek to practice to actually work.

Can we find any Nation which has recently embraced democracy with positive impacts on the lives of the ordinary people?.

My belief is that America and the west should stop rushing Nations into their own form of democracy, especially when the proper grounds have not been laid for such a form of government. Cultures differ, so do beliefs and practices.

Does democracy in it's present form as drummed into our brains really make life better for every Nation
    ?

2. TANMO

TANMO JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2011
    I am also having the same thoughts especially when i see the way things are going on in Nigeria today. I was wondering why is it that during authoritarian regime of Sanni Abacha and other military leaders of the country, there were no such things as Terrorist groups and Religious extremists like the ones that are bringing Chaos in the country today?

Why are these extremists gaining momentum after the end of the strict regime and introduction of Democracy? Can this be a proof of the failure of Democracy? Do we still need to embrace western democracy the way it is or we should try to modify something in it in order for it to suit African environment?

3. Ben Saanane

Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks,
    For the simple fact that people are different, democracy as practiced by one country should not be made universal and the recent push for such universal adoption has recorded unexpected scenarios with a free and fair election bringing a Hamas led government that clearly says they do not want Israel to exist, same with Iran where the present president won by basing his campaign on anti western propaganda as against the former president that was leaning towards the West.

As you said....In Nigeria today, democracy has destabilized well organised institutions that have survived thousands of years without problems. The Ibos naturally do not believe in kingship whereas the Hausas believe in kingships where a single person has a near total control over the people under him.

The "red indians" were living a happy life before the invaders came, killed, maimed and established themselves on another man's land. Not sure they were practicing democracy then but I assume they were happy and living in peace, at least Columbus recorded that as one of the things that shocked him when he stepped foot on their land.

It is best for countries to develop the best style of governance that suits them, not trying to import another person's way of life.

Democracy is just a game of numbers and has nothing to do with morality just as 90% of a group may decide to pass into law something that is bad and it becomes law because in democracy majority will always have their way while minority their say.

4. SMU

SMU JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2011
    How is the 'democracy' defined? and by who? Is there an opposite for that democracy?
    Is it the definition or the fundamentals for democracy that troubles you?

5. Ben Saanane

Jul 11, 2011
    Perharps i could be/people could be in a better position to analyse if your qst would have been about the 'Alternative' of Deocracy instead of the 'opposite'

6. SMU

SMU JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Alternative(s) for democracy..or different political systems altogether?

7. Gaijin

Gaijin JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2011
    How is democracy defined right now?