Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Do you know any Taarab singers ?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Makedha, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Makedha

Makedha Senior Member

Sep 24, 2010
    I noticed there's almost only sports in this section even though it says we may also talk about music. It kinda made me hesitate on whether i should post this here or somewhere else, but I decided to just give it a try.

Anyway i like listening to taarab music, but the only singers i know and like who have made at least one taarab song are Sabaha Salum (Tamba, Mithili Yako Hapana, etc.), Ray C (Nimezama), Mombasa roots (Mpenzi Mimi Siwezi) and Mukrid (Mazoea yana tabu). I don't speak Swahili so i have no idea of what these songs are about, but the language and the melody sound nice. I decided to learn the language and that's one of the reasons why i joined this forum actually. Do you know any other nice taarab songs?
  2. b

bitimkongwe JF-Expert Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Makedha, there are hundreds of taarab songs, it depends on where your interest lies.

There are love songs that are sung traditionally by artists like Rukia Ramadhan, Sabah Muchacho, Mohammed Ilyas and Khadija Baramia. There are what Tanzanians call "mipasho", sounding like confrontation types of songs sung by Khadija Kopa, Zuhura Shaaban, Mzee Yusuf and his sister Khadija Yusuf. There are songs from Zanzibar and Mombasa (mostly traditional taarab type), and Dar es Salaam (mostly modern mipasho type).

In most cases the wording is in proverbs and a bit difficult to get the meaning unless a Swahili speaking person translated to you.

You may visit www.mzalendo.net where you will enjoy different types of taarab music.
  3. Wacha1

Wacha1 JF-Expert Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Sorry I don't know any.
  4. Mphamvu

Mphamvu JF-Expert Member

Oct 28, 2012
    I know one, Kinyago cha Mpapure by Mwanahawa Aly.
  5. Yusomwasha

Yusomwasha JF-Expert Member

Mar 17, 2016
    mie napenda modern