Do we really need Presidents in Africa?

Cicero

JF-Expert Member
Jan 20, 2016
The political events of the past couple of years have me wondering if it is time to examine our democracies again.
The political arrangements of the nation-state have been useful so far but perhaps it is time for an upgrade.

As much as I like to give the pan-Africanist movement and the African Union grief, in truth my disagreement lies with the how of the concept, not necessarily the concept itself. A “borderless” African continent sounds mighty fine.

The thing is, the AU is an expensive retirement club for the political elite that is doing very little to advance the pan-African dream.

Just this year, the AU has issued the African Passport... for the leadership and diplomatic classes who are the very last people who need one. The myopia and arrogance of our African leaders is breathtaking.

So they got me thinking about the concept of leadership as we practise it now. Do we really need our democracies to be presidential systems or are we ready to evolve into less hierarchical and centralised polities? Since one should always start at home, I have no problem with the thought of a Magufuli-less Tanzania.

I mean this very impersonally, but it does come from observing his leadership style, which I take exception to.
When our public servants take the oath, there is something in there about serving their country to the best of their ability. Magufuli should be serving, not leading, and so should all our other African heads of state.

I consider public servants of all echelons analogous to doctors. Yes, they are experts at what they do but at the end of the day you have rights. You should ask questions and always seek to understand and participate in your own care to the best of your ability.

In Tanzania, this is guaranteed to annoy most clinicians and all politicians. Yet they work for our benefit and we are paying them, however little, however much.

In the past few months, I have watched my president confidently make decisions that suggest he does not consult with experts, whether it be economists or labour law practitioners or even public health practitioners...while purporting to reform this country?

To those who see this as a sign of strong character, I say that sometimes the last thing a country needs is a strong character. No matter how intensely clever a person is, they are never smarter than the collective that they serve.

Which is why I wonder if it is time to permanently decapitate our republics. In place of presidents, I can imagine a Cabinet made up of truly exceptional people and a civil service that runs with the smooth and quiet efficiency of a piece of German automotive engineering.

When I bounced this idea off a fellow thinker, she suggested that presidents are useful in concentrating the focus of the people and embodying, if you will, the hopes and dreams of the nation.

She has a point, but what she’s talking about sounds like a mascot and mascots don’t get to make decisions. Except maybe for Donald Trump; nobody has proved that he isn’t an animated effigy

How about that President who picked his wife as running mate!! Is he also from Africa?
Stop harassing our beloved mother africa just because some felas act in a wrong way !!

The ruling class seems to consider the land,resources and the people as part of their possession.The rest of the group(of which are the inferior majority) are ''brainwashed'' into being Yes Men.The so called elites are too selfish to share the national cake with the rest.Anyone with ideas that conflicts their interest is labelled as a ''National Threat'',and could end up being charged for treason.That's typical a tyrant way of characterizing African Democracy,in most parts.

Tyta, Hizo ni notes za chuo. Maisha tofauti.
Oh yeah,...it doesn't exist...We live in theoretical world...
Such fictitious characters,and to name a few..
Mgabe vs Tsvangirai,M7 vs Besigye,Nkurunzinza and Burundi Unrest,Mbasogo,Dos Santos,Paul Biya,Yahya Jammeh..and the list goes on...
Bye Mr.Yes Man

"So they got me thinking about the concept of leadership as we practise it now. Do we really need our democracies to be presidential systems or are we ready to evolve into less hierarchical and centralised polities?...
..Magufuli should be serving, not leading, and so should all our other African heads of state"...

Cicero, unfortunately this's what most African heads of state lack, and thus make this piece interesting. Challenges in leadership is all over the place but, it seems to be a norm in our motherland.

Guess we need more understanding in 'serving' as opposed to the trend, 'leading'
We might take a while to get to where the first world democracies is, but there's always a starting point.

Wenzetu, at least they show maturity when it comes to serving their countries as they always put a country first, before their own political interests.

David Cameron is one of the recent example when he decided to step down, he didn't hesitate to give up leadership for a good course when he confessed, " l love my country, but I think it's time for someone else"

This's what serving a country means.

Back
Top Bottom