Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Disputes at Kwembe in new turn

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by BAK, Mar 20, 2009.

  1. BAK

    BAK JF-Expert Member

    Mar 20, 2009
    Joined: Feb 11, 2007
    Messages: 48,518
    Likes Received: 7,621
    Trophy Points: 280
    Friday Mar 20, 2009

    Disputes at Kwembe in new turn

    ABDULWAKIL SAIBOKO, 20th March 2009 @ 20:21

    Land dispute at Kwembe-Kati, Kinondoni Municipality in Dar es Salaam today took a new turn following revelation of conflicting survey maps for the area. This was revealed after six hours of residents’ resistance against surveyors who arrived at the area with armed policemen.

    The surveying exercise could not be done on Wednesday because of residents’ resistance. Angry residents overpowered the police at the scene, prompting reinforcement of over 20 police led by Officer Commanding District (OCD), Mr Juma Ndaki.

    As the exercise began, one of the residents, Mrs Hilda Mushi, discovered that the surveyors were about to reach her house which she said was constructed after all procedures were followed. She said she acquired permit to construct the house from the Ministry of Land.

    According to her, she demanded for a survey map and as she complained that the map was wrong for that matter, one officer said that the map was not appropriate. The officer ordered another map be retrieved from the car. It was discovered that there were several other maps in a surveyors’ vehicle all of the same area.

    The planning officer in Ministry of Lands, Housing and Human Settlements Development, Mr Dioscory Kanuti, was named by Mrs Mushi and other residents as being behind the dirty game that has created misunderstandings between residents and the government. Mr Kanuti, however, was reluctant to comment on the matter as he kept mum to journalists who wanted to get his side of the story.

    He claimed he was not a spokesperson for the ministry. Residents accused him of being corrupt, claiming he has been taking money from several individuals in exchange for bigger plots while giving a deaf ear for the poor people. “My plot was surveyed in 2006 and I have since been paying for it and have also used my title deed for mortgage.

    Mr Kanuti is the one who surveyed the plot but I was shocked when he came here on Wednesday, last week and asked me to give him 1m/- or else he would re-survey my plot,” claimed Mr Maximilian Mbise, the area’s resident. Assistant Director (Urban Cadastral Survey), Mr Simon Katambi admitted that the disorganization on their part have caused unnecessary inconveniences to residents of the area.

    In another development, the residents have insisted that they would not support the survey exercise until the government agreed to seat on a round table with them and chat out the best way to carry out the exercise. They claimed that the ongoing survey has clear signs of double-standards as few individuals were given big plots while others’ plots were taken without any compensation.

    They vowed they would support the exercise only when all appropriate steps were taken. “It seems the exercise has ignored the reconciliation committee formed by District Commissioner Mr Fabian Massawe in which we had representatives. Our representatives asked ten questions but no answers were given and here is the exercise,” said Mr Jacton Manyerere, one of the residents at Kwembe.