Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Deni la Taifa lapaa!

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by Nyambala, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Nyambala

Nyambala JF-Expert Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Tanzania's total national debt stock has reached $10.8 billion (Sh15 trillion), and experts caution about a possible debt crisis.

The debt increased by about $4 billion in four years between 2007 and 2010 from $6.1 billion in June 2007 to $10.2 billion in June 2010, according to the Bank of Tanzania. By October 2010 it stood at $10.8 billion.

The BoT says
    84 per cent of the total debt stock was owed to the government and public corporations. This is equivalent to $9.1 billion (Sh12.7 trillion). The remaining 16 per cent ($1.7 billion) was owed to the private sector.

The debt owed to the government is more than the Sh11.6 trillion allocated for the national budget in the financial year 2010/11
    . It also means that every Tanzania was owed about $214 (Sh375,000).

Reacting to the rising debt trend, experts said if the country kept borrowing at the current rate it risked falling into a debt crisis as happened in some Eurozone countries such as Greece.

"Despite some possible justifications, having a debt higher than revenue means living beyond the means. This could pose a problem to the economy in future, especially if it keeps increasing," Prof Humphrey Moshi, an economics lecturer at the University of Dar es Salaam, said.

Dr Honest Ngowi, a lecturer at Mzumbe Univerity's Dar es Salaam Business School, was concerned that the rising debt was not supported by rising revenues from various government sources.

This could increase the country's risk level and affect its creditworthiness. "What worries me is that taxpayers are the ones who suffer the consequences of such a big debt.
    The government must make sure that it controls the debt otherwise the country could follow in the footsteps of Greece and become bankrupt," Dr Ngowi said.

He noted that there is a high need for a credit auditing agency to control the country's debt. Prof Marjorie Mbilinyi of the Tanzania Gender Networking Programme (TGNP) said there was a need to question the cause of the debt.

"One major explanation of high debt is the inflated size of the government and the inflated budget that goes along with it; and the kind of expenditures that this government makes, often in conflict with the priorities of the majority of Tanzanians, and marginalised women in particular,"
    she said.

She added that after the October elections, the newly elected President had the opportunity with his advisors to take immediate measures to reduce the size of the Cabinet, as many activists and other concerned citizens continually recommended during the first five years of his leadership.

Tanzania received debt relief amounting to $3 billion in 2001 thorough the Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) Initiative.

Coupled with improved revenue collections and reduced government expenditure the total debt stock decreased from $10 billion in 2006 to $6 billion in 2007. But as revenue started falling due to the power crisis of 2006 the debt stock started increasing from $7.5 billion in 2008 to the current levels

The Research and Poverty Alleviation (Repoa) executive director, Prof Samuel Wangwe, said the ballooning debt was excusable if the money was spent wisely.

"The issue here is how the money is being used. If the debt is being used effectively in development projects and if the economy keeps growing then there is no problem,"
    Prof Wangwe said.

He said had the economy been posting negative growth, while the debt keeps increasing then that would have been a cause for alarm.

But Prof Ibrahim Lipumba, a seasoned economist and chairman of the Civic United Front (CUF), said the Tanzanian government was still unable to prudently and sustainably manage public funds. And this makes the government's high borrowing a problem.

"I am concerned that despite the big debt the government still want to float a Eurobond to borrow a further $1.5 billion.
    This will put the country in a difficult situation," said Prof Lipumba.

The acting secretary-general of the Trade Union Congress of Tanzania (Tucta), Mr Nicholas Mgaya, said it was disheartening that the government currently borrows at the rate of 40 per cent of its budget annually but also misappropriate public funds at the rate of 30 per cent annually as indicated by the controller and auditor general (CAG) reports.

"The government debt will continue to increase because of poor fund management," said Mr Mgaya.

(Reported by Frank Kimboy, Florence Mugarula and Victor Karega)

My Take:
    Hivi JK amewahi lini kufanya kazi ya mambo aliyosomea with executive responsibilities.

2. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason JF-Expert Member

Jan 27, 2011
    I Wonder Why am not Surprised....

3. Nyambala

Jan 27, 2011
    Ofcourse kuna wakati inabidi ushangae kwa nini unashindwa kushangaa!

4. VoiceOfReason

Jan 27, 2011
    Baraza kubwa la mawaziri, ufujaji wa pesa (mashangingi, safari za hapa na pale mishahara ya kufa mtu kwa wabunge na mawaziri), ukusanyaji kodi mbovu... etc.

The money must come from somewhere sadly ni mikopo ambayo hata wajukuu zetu hawataweza kulipa

5. Nyambala

Jan 27, 2011
    Halafu bado kuna wapuuzi wanakwambia JK amefanya mambo makubwa!!!!!!!!!

6. VoiceOfReason

Jan 27, 2011
    Makubwa kafanya ndio..., ila swali ni kwamba je ni positive

7. Saint Ivuga

Saint Ivuga JF-Expert Member

Jan 27, 2011
    peoples at work

8. Ehud

Ehud JF-Expert Member

Jan 27, 2011
    OMG! Tanzania tena! Si tumesamehewa juzi juzi tu!

9. Nyambala

Jan 27, 2011
    Tanzania received debt relief amounting to $3 billion in 2001 thorough the Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) Initiative.

Coupled with improved revenue collections and reduced government expenditure the total debt stock decreased from $10 billion in 2006 to $6 billion in 2007. But as revenue started falling due to the power crisis of 2006 the debt stock started increasing from $7.5 billion in 2008 to the current levels

10. Nyambala

Jan 27, 2011
    Si unajua tena amejenga machinga complex na ataongeza zingine tano!

11. Gurudumu

Gurudumu JF-Expert Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Hivi kuna mahali tuna mkakati wa kulipa deni la taifa, au hata mkakati wa kupunguza kukopa?

Hivi serikali inaposaini mikataba ya mikopo, wananchi wanaulizwa kwanza kama wangependa kukopa? Je wananchi wanajua hizo pesa zinakuja kutumikaje kabla serikali haijasaini mikataba?

12. b

bagamoyo JF-Expert Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Kwa Kuongezea JF tutizame kwa kina hali ya kiuchumi chini ya serikali za CCM toka 1995 kama Hotuba ya Rais Mkapa kuhusu mikakati ya kufuta madeni 2005:

WIPE OUT DEBT IN 2005!! ON TO THE JUBILEE!! ,

ila sasa hii ripoti ya Benki Kuu ya Tanzania(BoT) ya Januari 2011 inazidi kuonyesha hakuna ahueni yoyote tokea mwaka 1995 mambo yanaenda mrama kwa serikali za awamu ya II, III na IV za CCM:

Ifuatayo chini ni Hotuba ya Mh. B.W Mkapa : WIPE OUT DEBT IN 2005!! ON TO JUBILEE!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    President of Tanzania at Jubilee Debt Campaign conference

26 February 2005

The address of President Benjamin William Mkapa of Tanzania to Jubilee Debt Campaign's annual conference in February 2005.

Co-Chairs of the Jubilee Debt Campaign;
    Distinguished Leaders of the Jubilee Debt Campaign;
    Campaigners and Concerned Citizens;
    Ladies and Gentlemen:

[​IMG]

I thank you Co-Chair, Stephen Rand, for that most wonderful introduction and for the kind words you have spoken about us. It is, indeed, a great pleasure for me to be with you this morning.

I have come, first, to thank you all personally, and
    on behalf of our people, for what the Jubilee movement worldwide has done to ensure that poor countries like mine do not have to choose between the life of a child-dying of a preventable disease-and the servicing of an external debt that, ultimately, is not payable anyway. (I presume even DOWANS claim is not payable)

I have, secondly, come to tell you, in person, what we have done with the debt relief that, with your support, we got under the Enhanced Highly Indebted Poor Countries Debt Relief Initiative in 2001

I have, thirdly, also come to encourage you in your advocacy for total debt cancellation for poor countries because, frankly, it is a scandal that we are forced to choose between basic health and education for our people and repaying historical debt.

And, fourthly, I have come to tell you what else we could accomplish immediately if we were to get a clean slate on our historical debt.

Fellow Campaigners
    :

I bring you all greetings of solidarity from the people of Tanzania who join you in advocating, here and now, that debt for poor countries should be wiped out in 2005.

I know what the people of
    Tanzania feel about the historical debt that hangs over their heads like the Sword of Damocles. And, I know what it means to be President of a Highly Indebted Poor Country, for I have been one for almost 10 years now. For those who, unlike us here, do not yet fully subscribe to the need and urgency of total debt cancellation for countries such as mine, I ask them to stop and consider how they would have felt if they were in my shoes in 1995 when I came to office. What did I find?

I found that we had, by then, an external debt of about £ 6 billion, and that if we were to apportion this debt to every man, woman and child, each one of them would be indebted to the magnitude of their total incomes for 2½ years. And, if we were to spend all our foreign exchange earnings to repay this debt it would still take us over 12 years to do so.

I found in 1995 that we were spending about 35% of our recurrent revenue to service only a part of our debt obligations
    (now in January 2011 BoT says we are spending 100% of our current revenue). In the first financial year of my presidency, we spent about £ 100 million to service our national debt, an amount sufficient in that year to meet the budgeted expenditures of seven major government ministries.

I also found that Tanzania was spending more on debt service than it was spending on health and education combined. For every pound we spent on health, we spent 4 pounds on debt service
    . The same was the case with education. Under these circumstances it was obviously impossible to attain the goal of eradicating poverty and accelerating the development process. This situation was also unsustainable, both politically and economically. And, eventually, we had to ask: Shall we let our children die of curable or preventable illnesses; prevent them from going to school; let people drink polluted water – just to pay off this debt? For this is indeed what was happening.

I almost told our creditors to go to Hell
    . Then I remembered the story of the deceased groceryman who, upon passing on, knocked at the gates of Hell and asked entrance.
    "Why do you come here?" demanded Satan.
    "I want to collect some old accounts from a couple of my former customers who died before me."
    "How do you know they are here?"
    "Well, every time I tried to collect, this is the place they recommended me to."

So, I did not tell our creditors to go to Hell and instead asked my people to accept austerity measures as I tried to restructure the economy further and improve the macro-economic fundamentals
    . This included increasing our repayments for loans in the hope that once our track record of acknowledging our debt, and of pursuing prudent economic policies and public finance management had been established, we would get more aid and have our debt burden relieved. For this was the only way that we could have continued with economic reform without drastically sacrificing our social objectives and other poverty eradication policies and strategies.

My government won the commendation of the IMF, World Bank and the donor community for our strong track record of reform – both political and economic. In 1998 we established a Multilateral Debt Relief Fund (MDF) and asked donor countries to contribute to it. The United Kingdom, Sweden, Ireland, Norway, Finland, Denmark and the Netherlands gracefully did so. The savings were absorbed in the budget to protect priority items in the social sector. In other words, debt relief was immediately, and in a transparent and accountable manner, used to support education, health and water.

Endelea kusoma hotuba hapa: Jubilee Debt Campaign UK : Southern voices : President of Tanzania at Jubilee Debt Campaign conference

13. VoiceOfReason

Jan 27, 2011
    Ajabu ni kwamba kila wanachouza machinga mpaka tooth-pick vimetoka China..., nadhani badala ya Machinga Complex angeporomosha viwanda ningemuelewa

14. Nyambala

Jan 27, 2011
    Mkuu usituchafulie mjadala wetu!

15. PatPending

PatPending JF-Expert Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Akchuale, mapato yatokanayo na kodi yameongezeka maradufu katika kipindi hicho hicho. Hebu acheni wivu wenu sisi tutethe na Viekthi zetu

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saa za kwenda kumchukua mwanangu Dowanthi benki thatha

16. Ehud

Ehud JF-Expert Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Uwiii.Hili linchi hili. Mi naona tuliuze tu kila mtu akamate chake! Halisaidiki!

Sasa hela za kulipa deni la dowans tunazo mbona haya madeni mengine wakubwa wa serikali na ccm hawalipi?

17. kweleakwelea

kweleakwelea JF-Expert Member

Jan 27, 2011
    haya sasa! hiyo ni trela picha yenyewe bado! hapa dodoma nimenunua lita ya mafuta ya alizeti inayolimwa na kuwa processed hapahapa kwa shilingi 3400 bei ya jumla. mwaka jana mwishoni ilikuwa shilingi 1900. nimewaambia wananchi, kuwa ifikapo mwezi wa pili kati watu tutamtafuta dr slaa aje aongoze maandamano! shit!

18. Semilong

Semilong JF-Expert Member

Jan 27, 2011
    huyu jamaa akishughulikia tatizo la umeme litamsaidia kuongeza uzalishaji...
    eti mnasema ni economist...... du udsm kazi ipo

19. VoiceOfReason

Jan 27, 2011
    Mkuu nimekuelewa...!!!! Lakini seriously kuna siku nilikuwa ninaongea na Mfaransa mmoja..., na alisema in not so many words kwamba vitega uchumi ambavyo vipo kanda ya ziwa tu.., kama vingekuwepo kwenye nchi ya watu wanaotumia vichwa vyao na sio tamaa zao, ingewezesha kuendesha nchi nzima..., hivi kwanini hatuwezi kuwalisha east africa nzima..? kama Azam ameweza kutengeneza Juice, kupack unga na kusupply nchi jirani, hivi serikali inashindwa kusimamia vitu kama hivi na kuongeza ajira? tunakalia kusifia ajira za machinga na mabar maid zimeongezeka..., wakati tungeanzisha viwanda kama 50 nchini vingepunguza hao machinga na wakawa na uhakika wa mishahara kila mwisho wa mwezi...,

Na bado maisha yanavyokuwa magumu ndio wizi na ujambazi utaongezeka..., because people have got to eat.

20. Zing

Zing JF-Expert Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Kuna watu walisifia sana bajeti eti serikali imevunja rekodi ya utegemezi wa misaada. Kumbe hawakujua kuwa watoa misaada waligoma sabababu hawana imani na serikali ya JK. Seriali ya JK ikaenda kukopa. kwenye hotuba za kisiasa wanadanganya wnachi tumejitegemea kwenye bajeti kumbe tumechukua mikopo

Kuna member wa jf anakwenda kwajina la Zawadi anajielezaga yeye kama mtu mwanatakwimu ningefurahi kusikia ana lipi la kusema juu ya hii.