Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Defence witness implicates CCM agent with vote theft

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by nngu007, Apr 3, 2012.

1. nngu007

nngu007 JF-Expert Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Tue, Apr 3rd, 2012

Tanzania | April 3rd Tue 2012

Fred Mpendazoe

A Defence witness on Monday implicated a CCM agent before the High Court of stealing a vote during the 2010 parliamentary elections for Segerea constituency in Dar es Salaam.

Testifying in the Fred Mpendazoe's petition, Evelyn Mgonja (28) who was the then polling station assistant for Kombo A2 said that after the agent was caught hiding the vote, a quarrel ensued between CCM and CHADEMA's agents thus causing her to accidentally forget to sign election result form (21b).

"During the tallying of votes, my assistant saw a vote dropping from one of CCM's agent's pocket, he told me that after the agent stepped on it to hide it. So I confronted him and when he lifted his foot I saw the vote. "I reported the matter to the assistant returning officer and the tallying had to start all over again," she explained.

During cross-examination by the complainant's counsel Peter Kibatala, Mgonja ruled out impact of her forgetfulness to sign the election result form on the results. "Even if I did not sign the result form, there would not have been any effect on the outcome of the elections because all party agents had signed it and the form also had a valid National Electoral Commission's logo.

"The results on the form matched the ones I had put up on the notice board and I had supplied to all the agents the complaints forms (form 14 and 16) but they did not give any, thus they were satisfied with the results," Mgonja told the court. When she was asked why she did not report the matter to the police, she replied that she was able to deal with the situation herself.

Mpendazoe (CHADEMA) is contesting the victory of Makongoro Mahanga (CCM) during the 2010 general election. The other defendants are The National Electoral Commission (NEC) and the Attorney General. The High Court Judge Ibrahim Juma adjourned the case until today for another hearing of defence witness.

Meanwhile, the High Court on Monday adjourned to today the election petition of CCM's Hawa Ng'umbi against Chadema's John Mnyika because a witness was absent. In the case, Ng'umbi is disputing the 2010 parliamentary election results for Ubungo constituency in which Mnyika won.

By JULIUS BWAHAMA, Tanzania Daily News