Dar - amongst world's dirtiest cities

BabuK

JF-Expert Member
Jul 30, 2008
DAR ES SALAAM is the eighth dirtiest city in the world, according to the international rating company NYC Partnership Consulting.

In the firm's rating of the 30 dirtiest cities around the globe, the Azerbaijan city of Baku was rated the dirtiest of them all, followed by Ethiopia’s Addis Ababa (2nd), Mexico City (3rd), Argentina’s Buenos Aires (4th), and Madagascar’s Antananarivo (5th).

The capital city of Bangladesh, Dhaka, is rated number 6, while Nepal’s Kathmandu is on number 7 – followed by Dar.

In 9th place is Central African Republic capital city Bangui, and placed 10th is Lome, capital city of Togo.

Contacted by THISDAY for comment last week, Dar es Salaam Regional Commissioner William Lukuvi acknowledged that the city is indeed filthy, but dismissed the NYC Partnership Consulting rating.

“It is true and I accept that the city of Dar es Salaam is dirty, but I can't say anything about international standards. I don’t know the criteria they used in their rating and therefore I'm not in a position to comment on that,” said Lukuvi in a telephone interview.

Dar es Salaam is made up of three municipalities; namely Kinondoni, Ilala and Temeke.

According to the RC, authorities are now working on strategies to ensure that the city is clean and environment is preserved in a bid to rectify the situation.

Such strategies include each municipal council enacting by-laws and action plans that address issues of filthiness and environmental degradation, Lukuvi said.

He added that the by-laws are expected to be in place in about a month's time, and will take into consideration various inputs from members of the general public.

Envisaged strategies for keeping the city clean include procurement of new cleaning equipment for each municipality. At present, the municipalities hire such equipment from private companies.

In addition, while currently the three municipalities also engage private companies to collect garbage and charge the wananchi for the service, the RC said in future the task of collecting levies will be done by the respective municipal authorities themselves.

“The present system is messed up. You can’t have a contracted company collect garbage and levies at the same time. The municipalities will henceforth be responsible for collecting the levies and paying the companies that are contracted to collect the garbage,” Lukuvi explained.

He attributed the filthiness of the nation's erstwhile commercial capital to lack of proper cleaning equipment and the shifting of the Kigogo dump site to Pugu further away on the outskirts of the city, amongst other things.

Said Lukuvi: “A garbage truck which previously was making up to 10 trips per day to the Kigogo dump site, now does just one trip a day to the Pugu site. This results in a pile-up of garbage.”

Giving a personal rating of the three municipalities in terms of filthiness, the RC cited Kinondoni as the dirtiest and Temeke the cleanest, with Ilala sandwiched in between.

In a separate interview, Kinondoni Municipality executive director Raphael Ndunguru would neither confirm nor deny the assertion made by the regional commissioner.

“I don’t want to comment on my superior’s pronouncement. What I can tell you is that we are now set to tackle the problem,” Ndunguru stated.

He echoed Lukuvi’s declaration on the need to purchase new cleaning equipment, noting that Kinondoni Municipality has ordered 27 trailers with a carrying capacity of 15 cubic metres each for garbage collection.

The NYC Partnership Consulting rating compared 245 large capitals and other cities around the world to come up with the 30 dirtiest.

The rating was based on level of air pollution, level of usefulness of drinkable water, level of use of waste and waste processing, quality of medical services, and proximity of infectious diseases.

When contacted for comment, the Minister of State in the Vice President's Office responsible for environmental matters, Dr Batilda Burian, said she had not been notified of the NYC Partnership Consulting rating and was thus unaware of the criteria used.

Kwa ufupi kwa africa sisi ndo top

wachafu kuliko wote.damn it.
Ni ukweli mtupu.

Dar ilianza kutia kinyaa in the 90's. Nakumbuka hali ilikua mbaya sana mpaka Lyatonga Mrema, then Naibu Waziri Mkuu na Waziri wa Mambo ya Ndani aliingilia kati.

Kwa sasa mtu kama Lowassa ndo angeweza kulivalia njuga hili suala kama angekua Waziri Mkuu. Sioni kiongozi mwingine yeyote mwenye nia ya kushugulikia hili tatizo. Nna wasiwasi hata kama tunaona ni tatizo.

Tushazoea uozo.

It's official: Dar amongst world's filthiest cities

By Alvar Mwakyusa

18th January 2010

DAR ES SALAAM is the eighth dirtiest city in the world and 3rd in Africa, according to the international rating company NYC Partnership Consulting.
In the firm's rating of the 30 dirtiest cities around the globe, the Azerbaijan city of Baku was rated the dirtiest of them all, followed by Ethiopia's Addis Ababa (2nd), Mexico City (3rd), Argentina's Buenos Aires (4th), and Madagascar's Antananarivo (5th).
The capital city of Bangladesh, Dhaka, is rated number 6, while Nepal's Kathmandu is on number 7 – followed by Dar.
In 9th place is Central African Republic capital city Bangui, and placed 10th is Lome, capital city of Togo.

Contacted by THISDAY for comment last week, Dar es Salaam Regional Commissioner William Lukuvi acknowledged that the city is indeed filthy, but dismissed the NYC Partnership Consulting rating.

"It is true and I accept that the city of Dar es Salaam is dirty, but I can't say anything about international standards. I don't know the criteria they used in their rating and therefore I'm not in a position to comment on that," said Lukuvi in a telephone interview.

Dar es Salaam is made up of three municipalities; namely Kinondoni, Ilala and Temeke.
According to the RC, authorities are now working on strategies to ensure that the city is clean and environment is preserved in a bid to rectify the situation.

Such strategies include each municipal council enacting by-laws and action plans that address issues of filthiness and environmental degradation, Lukuvi said.
He added that the by-laws are expected to be in place in about a month's time, and will take into consideration various inputs from members of the general public.

Envisaged strategies for keeping the city clean include procurement of new cleaning equipment for each municipality. At present, the municipalities hire such equipment from private companies.
In addition, while currently the three municipalities also engage private companies to collect garbage and charge the wananchi for the service, the RC said in future the task of collecting levies will be done by the respective municipal authorities themselves.

"The present system is messed up. You can't have a contracted company collect garbage and levies at the same time. The municipalities will henceforth be responsible for collecting the levies and paying the companies that are contracted to collect the garbage," Lukuvi explained.

He attributed the filthiness of the nation's erstwhile commercial capital to lack of proper cleaning equipment and the shifting of the Kigogo dump site to Pugu further away on the outskirts of the city, amongst other things.

Said Lukuvi: "A garbage truck which previously was making up to 10 trips per day to the Kigogo dump site, now does just one trip a day to the Pugu site. This results in a pile-up of garbage."

Giving a personal rating of the three municipalities in terms of filthiness, the RC cited Kinondoni as the dirtiest and Temeke the cleanest, with Ilala sandwiched in between.
In a separate interview, Kinondoni Municipality executive director Raphael Ndunguru would neither confirm nor deny the assertion made by the regional commissioner.

"I don't want to comment on my superior's pronouncement. What I can tell you is that we are now set to tackle the problem," Ndunguru stated.
He echoed Lukuvi's declaration on the need to purchase new cleaning equipment, noting that Kinondoni Municipality has ordered 27 trailers with a carrying capacity of 15 cubic metres each for garbage collection.

The NYC Partnership Consulting rating compared 245 large capitals and other cities around the world to come up with the 30 dirtiest.
The rating was based on level of air pollution, level of usefulness of drinkable water, level of use of waste and waste processing, quality of medical services, and proximity of infectious diseases.

When contacted for comment, the Minister of State in the Vice President's Office responsible for environmental matters, Dr Batilda Burian, said she had not been notified of the NYC Partnership Consulting rating and was thus unaware of the criteria used.

Hata hivyo imependelewa!Tayari Lukuvi anaruka kihunzi ooh sijui international criteria!Criteria ni hizo hizo uchafu bwere rerere na serikali ipo.........!Kidumu chama cha mapinduzi, idumu serikali ya uchafu hadharani hadi moyoni kwa ufisadi!

DAR ES SALAAM is the eighth dirtiest city in the world and 3rd in Africa, according to the international rating company NYC Partnership Consulting.
In the firm's rating of the 30 dirtiest cities around the globe, the Azerbaijan city of Baku was rated the dirtiest of them all, followed by Ethiopia’s Addis Ababa (2nd), Mexico City (3rd), Argentina’s Buenos Aires (4th), and Madagascar’s Antananarivo (5th).
The capital city of Bangladesh, Dhaka, is rated number 6, while Nepal’s Kathmandu is on number 7 – followed by Dar.

“It is true and I accept that the city of Dar es Salaam is dirty, but I can't say anything about international standards. I don’t know the criteria they used in their rating and therefore I'm not in a position to comment on that,” said Lukuvi in a telephone interview.

Haifanani na ofisi zetu tunazofanyia kazi, magari tunayoendesha, ndege tunazonunua na hata nguo tuvaazo, hakuna kisingizio ni kuwa hatuna priorities basi na uchafu ni hulka yetu.

Namcheka RC na wenziwe wa manispaa ohh tunatunga sheria ukitema mate na kutupa karatasi faini angalia wao kama manispaa wamefanya nini kuleta usafi ??? hakuna kitu ni rundo la takataka kila baada ya kona na zimewekwa na wenyewe manispaa.

Anyway i am short of words.

Angalau safari hii na sisi tumo kwenye 10 Bora.

Uzuri ni kwamba tumeshika namba 8 kwa juhudi zetu wenyewe bila kusukumwa na mtu.

Haifanani na ofisi zetu tunazofanyia kazi, magari tunayoendesha, ndege tunazonunua na hata nguo tuvaazo, hakuna kisingizio ni kuwa hatuna priorities basi na uchafu ni hulka yetu.

Namcheka RC na wenziwe wa manispaa ohh tunatunga sheria ukitema mate na kutupa karatasi faini angalia wao kama manispaa wamefanya nini kuleta usafi ??? hakuna kitu ni rundo la takataka kila baada ya kona na zimewekwa na wenyewe manispaa.

Anyway i am short of words.

Hamna lolote lile vitu basic kabisa vinawashinda halafu wanafikiria kufanya mambo magumu.

Angalau safari hii na sisi tumo kwenye 10 Bora.

Uzuri ni kwamba tumeshika namba 8 kwa juhudi zetu wenyewe bila kusukumwa na mtu.

Ni kweli serikali za mitaa ndio zinasimamia usafi, kwa upuuzi wetu hatukuenda kuchagua wakuu wa mitaa na maeneo yetu walichaguliwa ndo hivyo tena unategemea nini.

Ucchaguzi ujao wa serikali za mitaa tutawachagua hao madiwani waliotuweka namba nane wakidhani kuwa tukiwa namba moja kwa uchafu basi ni sifa.

Tuanze kwa kuchagua viongozi wa serikali za mitaa ambao ni serious sio watu wanaofuata posho za vikao no watu wanaoweza kufanya kazi kwa faida ya wananchi na sio kwa faida ya matumbo yao.

Chanzo cha uchafu ni ukosefu wa maji. Kuna shida ya maji jiji zima. Mabomba mabovu hayapitishi maji. Viongozi wamejitengenezea mabomba mazuri kuelekea majumbani mwao. Hii pia ni shida ya nchi nzima.

Ni kweli serikali za mitaa ndio zinasimamia usafi, kwa upuuzi wetu hatukuenda kuchagua wakuu wa mitaa na maeneo yetu walichaguliwa ndo hivyo tena unategemea nini.

Ucchaguzi ujao wa serikali za mitaa tutawachagua hao madiwani waliotuweka namba nane wakidhani kuwa tukiwa namba moja kwa uchafu basi ni sifa.

Tuanze kwa kuchagua viongozi wa serikali za mitaa ambao ni serious sio watu wanaofuata posho za vikao no watu wanaoweza kufanya kazi kwa faida ya wananchi na sio kwa faida ya matumbo yao.

Tatizo ni kuwa viongozi serious hawajitokezi kugombea nafasi hizo.kwa hiyo inabidi wachaguliwe haohao vilaza kwa vile inabidi wachaguliwe.

Kwa kweli Dar imezidi kwa uchafu.Mifereji ya maji machafu kila kona.Mijanaume inakojoa shemu yeyote bila hata haya.,takataka zimezagaa kila kona pamoja na kuwa na Magari ya takataka Halamshauri na dustbins..kwa kweli inatia aibu.

Chanzo cha uchafu ni ukosefu wa maji. Kuna shida ya maji jiji zima. Mabomba mabovu hayapitishi maji. Viongozi wamejitengenezea mabomba mazuri kuelekea majumbani mwao. Hii pia ni shida ya nchi nzima.
kwa asilimia kubwa si ukweli.Maji yanahusika nini na matakataka yanayotupwa mitaani? Tatizo letu watanzania tuna asili ya uchafu(ni tabia yetu)

Tatizo ni kuwa viongozi serious hawajitokezi kugombea nafasi hizo.kwa hiyo inabidi wachaguliwe haohao vilaza kwa vile inabidi wachaguliwe.

kwa hiyo tatizo ni letu sote kutogombea na kuchagua viongozi wabaya. Kwa mfano nini kingetokea kama kusingewapa kura hata moja hao viongozi ambao ni wabaya lakini wapo.

kwa asilimia kubwa si ukweli.Maji yanahusika nini na matakataka yanayotupwa mitaani? Tatizo letu watanzania tuna asili ya uchafu(ni tabia yetu)

from individual level to institutional level, kwanza ipo inbuilt toka utotoni mpaka tunakuwa na hii inarithishwa generation to generation, pili ujuaji mwingi hata nikifanya hivi watanifanya nini matokea yake ndio hayo.

1. Dar ni chafu.. kuna mtu ameona ile mirefejei baada ya mataa ya Ubungo kuelekea Kimara?? Ni chafu sana!

2. Mbona Moshi wameweza usafi..dar wanashindwa nini?? Nashauri watendaji wakuu wa Mji wa Moshi waletwe Dar na wale wa Dar wapigwe chini!

Usafi bwana ni maumbile ya mtu. Mchafu ni mchafu tu. Kwanza, kwani lazima pipa la taka liwe bovu na chafu au kizoleya taka kiwe kichafu.

Angaliya haya magari yetu yakuzolea taka, lipi zuri kwa sura au ubora.

Nashangaa traffic huya pita tu huku wameziba pua. Sheria gani inawaruhusu wenye magari haya mabovu kuyatumia kama wayatumiyavo bila ya udhibiti wowote. Sumatra hawahusiki.

Haya umewaona wale vijana, waninginiyao- wazowa taka. Wachafu, wananuka.

Hawana gloves au viatu. Maskini ukiwaona utasema wala unga. Tuseme hatuna taasisi yoyote yakuyasimamia haya?

Mh. Lukuvi, ulilitembeleya soko la Kariakoo na kugomba sana. Bahati mbaya walikuzungusha pale pale tu. Hebu fanya safari ya kupita hiki kisehemu cha mtaa wa Nyamwezi kutoka Mkunguni kuelekeya Mafia. Barabara mbovu kwa miaka sasa. Na matumizi ya kijisehemu hiki ni makubwa kweli. Dala dala nyingi hupita hapa. Ni shida kubwa hususan wakati wa mvua ndogo tu. Njoo ujionee mwenyewe.

Maendeleo huletwa na watendaji wazuri. Manispaa zetu hawana hili. Wao ni pesa pesa
tu. Si pesa kipato cha manispaa, la ni kipato cha binafsi. Rushwa ina nuka.

Back
Top Bottom