Contraceptives For School Kids?

X-PASTER

JF-Expert Member
Feb 12, 2007
From BBC dated 25/11/2008
teen_moms_and_dads5_203_203x152.jpg
Girls as young as 13, in secondary schools across Barking & Dagenham could soon be able to get an injected contraceptive from an on site sexual health clinic without their parents' consent.

Most recent figures showed the borough has the 4th highest rate of teen pregnancy in London, behind Southwark, Lewisham and Lambeth. And the UK has the highest teen pregnancy rate in Europe.

The programme would see the girls, some of whom could be as young as 13, injected with the contraceptive implant Depo-Provera, at an onsite sexual health clinic at their school. And they could do so without their parents' knowledge.

One of the benefits of Depo-Provera is that unlike the pill, which is taken every day, its effects last for three weeks. It may suit teens and women who don't always remember to take their pill.

But the side effects, particularly in teenagers, can include loss of bone density - although this does return if they stop taking it. It also does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases.

The clinics would also offer advice on sexual safety and other types of contraception.

However it’s drawn sharp criticism from some parents, who say dispensing it at school can only encourage girls and boys to have under-age sex. In Barking town centre one man told me "It’s not something you can even think of! My child? Having whatever type of contraception at the age of 13?"

Another woman told me “I think they should consult their parents by giving me that information first”.

But the man heading up the scheme, Dr. Justin Varney who works for NHS Barking & Dagenham, said it’s about giving kids information:

“We have to be realistic. The UK, London and Barking & Dagenham are among the highest areas for teen pregnancy in the Western World”…
He continued “We have to realise that whatever the contraception… It’s about making sure that the young woman has the contraception that’s right for her, at the right time and she can go on and make the life choice which is right”.

It's still a while before the scheme would be implemented, and there still has to be a consultation with local schools. But it may not be long before the on site sexual health clinics become a reality in the borough's schools.

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom