Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Computer systems to mark Std 7 exams

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Elimu (Education Forum)' started by Sungurampole, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Sungurampole

Sungurampole JF-Expert Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Is this another easy solution to another difficult question?

I read it up in the Guardian of today that in a bid to curb massive cheating in national exams for the first time in history of the country five subjects in the standard VII National Examination will be marked by a new technology system known as Optical Mark Reader (OMR). It goes on to mention some of the benefits of the system to be efficiency and saving time required for evaluation of and checking the accuracy of marking. As a result the cost of marking will also be lowered very much – good.

Is this technology that new? Hasn't our neighbours, Kenya been using it for decades? Apart from the efficiency issues the central question of curbing cheating [UCHAKACHUAJI] in all arenas in Tanzania remains unsolved. I don’t want to believe that we have in plan to use this also fight cheating in secondary schools and higher learning.

One needs to follow closely our solution formula, When the fuel lords went rampant with cheating on the quality of fuel we went for kerosene hike solution and punished the poor (every one) for shyness in facing the extremely a few number of fuel lords.

I would say - All measures yes, but let us eat first the ‘Big frog’ of UCHAKACHAUJI squarely