Code Switching and Code Mixing

Nyani Ngabu

Platinum Member
May 15, 2006
CODE-MIXING AND CODE-SWITCHING.

Terms in SOCIOLINGUISTICS for language and especially speech that draws to differing extents on at least two languages combined in different ways, as when a Malay/English bilingual says: This morning I hantar my baby tu dekat babysitter tu lah (hantar took, tu dekat to the, lah a particle marking solidarity).

A code may be a language or a variety or style of a language; the term codemixing emphasizes hybridization, and the term code-switching emphasizes movement from one language to another.

Mixing and switching probably occur to some extent in the speech of all bilinguals, so that there is a sense in which a person capable of using two languages, A and B, has three systems available for use: A, B, and C (a range of hybrid forms that can be used with comparable bilinguals but not with monolingual speakers of A or B).

There are four major types of switching: (1) Tag-switching, in which tags and certain set phrases in one language are inserted into an utterance otherwise in another, as when a Panjabi/English bilingual says: It's a nice day, hana? (hai nā isn't it). (2) Intra-sentential switching, in which switches occur within a clause or sentence boundary, as when a Yoruba/English bilingual says: Won o arrest a single person (won o they did not). (3) Intersentential switching, in which a change of language occurs at a clause or sentence boundary, where each clause or sentence is in one language or the other, as when a Spanish/English bilingual says: Sometimes I'll start a sentence in English y termino en español (and finish it in Spanish). This last may also occur as speakers take turns. (4) Intra-word switching, in which a change occurs within a word boundary, such as in shoppã (English shop with the Panjabi plural ending) or kuenjoy (English enjoy with the Swahili prefix ku, meaning ‘to’).
Source:CODE-MIXING AND CODE-SWITCHING – FREE CODE-MIXING AND CODE-SWITCHING Information | Encyclopedia.com: Find CODE-MIXING AND CODE-SWITCHING Research

Kiranga, if you want to tak about code mixing and such..come here..

Code switching is quite interesting, a reflection of our being, culture and interactions. My interest on code switching has always been on speaker's meaning. Most of the time people switch language with intent. For me, most of the time I switch words to deals with taboos. For example, I had to lead a group discussion on reproductive health of sexual life among mid age – of course was the medium of interaction. Despite the fact all of participants knew about sexually and there was nothing new I could have said to surprise them. It was almost impossible for me to name genital parts in swahili, and when I did I used the metaphor za "uke" na "ume". However, ironically, I could say "v" and "p" with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom