Central Bank Governor pins Museveni on Basajjabalaba

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
entral Bank Governor Emmanuel Tumusiime-Mutebile on Thursday became the latest official to point the finger at President Museveni in the Basajjabalaba compensation controversy.
Mr Mutebile told MPs on the Public Accounts Committee that it was the President, through former Finance Minister Syda Bbumba, who ordered the payment of Shs142.6 billion to businessman Hassan Basajjabalaba in inflated compensation claims currently under investigation.
“The letters which kicked off this problem were all from the President and were not copied to me apart from the one of November 23, 2010,” Mr Mutebile told MPs yesterday.
I was requested by the Finance Minister (Bbumba) to do something that had already been communicated to others by the President. We were told the government wanted a quick solution to this problem that’s why I issued letters of comfort to Basajjabalaba to enable him access credit.” President Museveni has previously said while he directed, in principle, for Basajjabalaba to be compensated after losing leases on city markets, the inflated amounts paid to him were “scandalous and unacceptable”.

However, Mr Basajjabalaba, Ms Bbumba, former Attorney General Khiddu Makubuya and, Mr Mutebile have all told MPs that they acted on the instructions of the President, including paying separate compensation of Shs14.9 billion to Col. John Mugyenyi for a cancelled city market lease.

In a statement released after Mr Mutebile’s parliamentary appearance yesterday, the President’s spokesman, Mr Tamale Mirundi, said while Mr Museveni had convened a meeting to resolve disputes over the property, State House was not involved in setting the compensation amounts.

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom