Cecafa Kagame clubs cup 2015 best XI

Jan 12, 2015
Jeff Kinyanjui: My CECAFA Kagame Cup Best XI
By Jeff Kinyanjui Aug 03, 2015
Print Email
Congratulations to Tanzanian moneybags Azam FC for winning the 2015 CECAFA Kagame Cup. They totally outplayed reigning Kenyan champions Gor Mahia FC in the final staged at the Natiuonal Stadium in Dar on Sunday 2 August and deserved to win the title, their first in history.
I have to admit it was really hard and hurting as a Kenyan journalist to watch as Azam humiliated Gor Mahia but that's football, you win some and lose some.

That aside, this year's tournament has been very entertaining and before I pack my bags to go back home, here's my Best XI;

Goalkeeper: Manula Aishi Salum, Azam FC

The youngster has been a revelation in the entire tournament and did not concede a single goal in open play. He made very good saves when it mattered most, against KCCA in the semi final and in the final match against K'Ogalo. His coach, Stewart Hall speaks highly of him and the lad surely has a great future ahead.

Right-back: Karim Nizigiyimana, Gor Mahia

The king of assists as I like to call him was, as usual, in top form in Dar es Salaam. Doing his defensive duties as well making those signature runs and crosses on the right wing. He's very confident on the ball and seems to be enjoying his job every time he's with ball on his feet.

Left-back: Joseph Ochaya, KCCA

The Ugandan really impressed me with his clever passes whenever the team was attacking down the left flank and is an excellent reader of the game.

Centre-back (Right): Pascal Wawa, Azam

The MVP and Best Defender of the Tournament! Oh what a gem Pascal Wawa is! Fearless, confident, powerful ... this man deserves to be in a top club in Europe IMO. Azam did not concede a single goal in open play mainly because Wawa was just outstanding! Namzimia sigara!

Centre-back (Left): Morad Said Hussein, Azam

A no-nonsense defender, Morad Said is the other reason Azam was so impressive defensively. He's got very good chemistry with Wawa and although he did not start all the matches, Stewart Hall always introduced him when he felt the team needed some stability at the back.

Defensive midfielder (6): Khalid Aucho, Gor Mahia

Forget about his temper in the final match against Azam, Aucho has been Gor's main man in midfield and has done a good job. He covered so well in the absence of Gattuso and was always ready to do the donkey work for the team. Stewart Hall revealed after the final match that he had issued instructions to his players not to allow the Ugandan international to get into the passing rhythm as he would punish the team.

Central midfielder (8): Haruna Niyonzima, Yanga

Despite the fact that Tanzanian giants Yanga SC were bundled out of the tournament by eventual winners Azam, Haruna Fabregas Niyonzima stood out. He's very confident on the ball and has got an eye for those good defence-splitting passes.

Right winger (7): Mateo Anthony Simon, KMKM

Mateo was a darling to watch with his speed and trickery on the ball. He's got this amazing confidence and likes to take on defenders. Deserves to play for a bigger club, with all due respect to KMKM.

Left winger (11): Farid Musa, Azam

Another exciting young talent! Farid Musa is a joy to watch; Speedy and takes on defenders at will. He also falls back to defend when his team is on the receiving end and in him Azam has got a young player that will serve the club well.

Striker (10): John Bocco, Azam

Bocco has the predatory instinct in front of goal that is needed for any good striker. He also got an amazing work rate and is a good leader. I'll also give him the arm band in my Kagame Starting XI.

Striker (9): Michael Olunga, Gor Mahia

Olunga won the Golden Boot Award in the tournament and I think he's come of age now. I have been following his progress since his days at Upper Hill and I can say the lad is headed the right way. Big clubs are already after his signature but is it the right time to make that move?

Head Coach: Stewart Hall, Azam

Assistant Coach: Frank Nuttal

Morad? Alifanya kazi nzuri lkn kuwa in the best team of the tournament inatia shaka kidogo.