Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Bury me in military uniform, says Museveni

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by ByaseL, Jun 3, 2011.

1. B

ByaseL JF-Expert Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Kampala

Dressed in green uniform, pink beret and black boots, President Museveni stood on the podium, decorated in national colours, as he commissioned 393 officer cadets in Kabamba Military Academy on Tuesday.

In his speech punctuated with Luganda and Runyankole proverbs, Mr Museveni applauded the National Resistance Army, now Uganda People's Defence Forces, for "freedom and stability" in the country.

"This country is where it is because of this uniform (military). It's a uniform of honour and that's why I don't put it off even when I'm an old man. Even when they are going to bury me, they should bury me in my uniform," he said.

His love for military uniform has sometimes raised eyebrows when he is donned in full military attire while presiding over civilian functions. President Museveni, whose government is facing high unemployment figures, advised Ugandan youths not join the army as the last option in their job search.

"Don't look at the army as a refugee camp. It's a bad mentality to say, ‘I have failed to get a job in Uganda Revenue Authority, let me join the army'. That's a very bad mentality," he said.